Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 08:40 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,091 times

Advertisements

I've always been curious about the two huge lakes that appear on maps of southwest Louisiana, Grand Lake and White Lake. These lakes seem very mysterious because it looks like neither are accessible by land and there is very little information on the net about them, especially Grand Lake. By googling I learned that White Lake was once owned by BP but was granted to the state in 2002. Even though the lake is huge, fishing permits have to be gained through a lottery and are only good for a few months. I found one site that said that it's freshwater with a lot of largemouth bass. I couldn't find anything about Grand Lake. On the maps it appears to be even larger than White Lake. Do any of you have any experience with either? Anyone ever fished them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,575 times
White Lake is surrounded by marsh and not easily accessable.

Beautiful region, frankly. We own land a bit North of there where the marsh ends and the woods and somewhat higher ground starts... closer to the Intercoastal.

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/whitelake/ - broken link)

http://louisianaconservationist.org/hunt-experience-enjoy-white-lake/#more-99 (broken link)

Old 07-16-2010, 01:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,300 times
Grand Lake is actually a town in the Cameron parish, and is on the Calcasieu Lake, which is accessible along hwy 384(big lake road). However, there is a lake called Grand Lake, which is further down, near white lake and both of these lakes(grand and white) are surrounded by marsh. You'd have to access them by boat.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
White Lake is surrounded by marsh and not easily accessable.

Beautiful region, frankly. We own land a bit North of there where the marsh ends and the woods and somewhat higher ground starts... closer to the Intercoastal.

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/whitelake/ - broken link)

Hunt, Experience, Enjoy White Lake » Louisiana Conservationist (http://louisianaconservationist.org/hunt-experience-enjoy-white-lake/#more-99 - broken link)
Yes those are the two sites that I found while googling. They still tell us remarkably little about lakes that are as large as they are. Are they completely freshwater? Do they contain just freshwater fish or are there reds, specks, flounder, crabs ect...? How deep are they? Are they both very shallow like many coastal lakes? If they are fresh do cypress trees grow in them? Are there a lot of gators and other wildlife? Does anyone use these lakes recreationally? Is the fishing very good? Are there oil and gas rigs in the lakes? Why is there such a lack of information? Is the state trying to keep them secret?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,421 times
drove through Grand lake yesterday. The lake itself is definitely inaccessible by road though.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 PM

103 posts, read 269,733 times
Grand Lake is brackish you can catch redfish and specks in it

Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
Yes those are the two sites that I found while googling. They still tell us remarkably little about lakes that are as large as they are. Are they completely freshwater? Do they contain just freshwater fish or are there reds, specks, flounder, crabs ect...? How deep are they? Are they both very shallow like many coastal lakes? If they are fresh do cypress trees grow in them? Are there a lot of gators and other wildlife? Does anyone use these lakes recreationally? Is the fishing very good? Are there oil and gas rigs in the lakes? Why is there such a lack of information? Is the state trying to keep them secret?

It isn't the kind of place most people can even GET to.

They hold a lottery of some kind for fishing access... I'm not too sure.
We always just went down there and no one told us a thing (we were duck hunting and that was in the 70s)

White Lake is mostly fresh but I don't doubt that it is mixed... some amount of salt water mixes in the marsh that far South.

Not a very "recreational" place unless you're one of those Dual Survival sort of folks... and yes I've seen alligators. I saw more by the Rockefeller Refuge, however.

Everything in Louisiana used to be a secret. Just wait.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,578 times
I'm also curious about White Lake. My namesake uncle was a pilot out of Lake Charles Army Air Station who died in 1943 on or near White Lake when the towplane he was piloting developed a fuel problem, and he had to crash land his Hudson B34 "in the marshland due east of Pelican Island, which is located on the southeastern shore of Lake White..." Studying satellite photos, I don't see ANY islands in White Lake. Wondering if the historical account is wrong, or if something else has happened. Any thought appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana