U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 PM

16 posts, read 45,764 times
Default George Clooney, I'm not.

Nope - Eyeballs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 PM

43,282 posts, read 51,805,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneevans1 View Post
You think Memphis was bad? Moving to New Orleans?
www.secondchance.com

good luck.

but hey in Houma, you HAVE to go to the French Loaf and have a shrimp or oyster poboy.
Metairie is not New Orleans. The crime rate there is NOTHING like in New Orleans.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Any Renters want to boast?

Is there anyone out there that lives in a particular apartment complex that they just LOVE? Here's a chance to let me know about it. I've begun searching for complexes in Metairie, River Ridge, and Harahan. They always look good on paper (even my place in Memphis looked good, but the reality was a disappointment) but word of mouth may help me too.

So if anyone can recommend places to check out, please lemme know.

And if any new posters can give me THEIR opinions on everything discussed (cities, crime, general impressions of different areas) I really do appreciate every thing that's been posted so far!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 PM

54 posts, read 206,677 times
I know of a lot of bad complexes. If you aren’t limited to complexes, there are a lot of single and doubles for rent, especially in Old Metairie, which is one of the nicer parts of Metairie.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 PM

Question Umm... what?

Ok you've got me on three counts. I'm not sure what you mean by singles and doubles (1br, 2br?) or where exactly Old Metairie is...

Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Single – single family house
Double – two family house
Old Metairie – generally considered to be the area bounded by I-10 on the north, Causeway Blvd on the west, the 17th St canal on the east, and Airline Hwy on the south. There are small pre World War II houses for rent in this area, mixed in with new McMansions. Much of the rest of Metairie was built after WWII and has a 1960-1970’s look.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 AM

Thanks for clarifying... May take extra footwork since apartment finders only seem to list complexes. Maybe sumwunzma's recommended realtor.com can help... I wonder what the prices are compared to an apt. ?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 PM

A lot of the mom-and-pop landlords don’t do paid advertising other than putting a sign in the yard. But you can still find a lot in the local paper’s online classifieds url removed (under Rent) and craigslist

Last edited by Marka; 07-21-2007 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-15-2007, 07:42 PM

Exclamation Still looking for more opinions about the NOLA area

...Plus, any tips on apartment complexes. All opinions are valuable! Thanks.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 24,736 times
I think generally your not going to find the large complexes in new orleans to be nice. Most are older and a bit run down, and almost all are charging more for rent than they should be thanks to Katrina. I would suggest looking on nola.com and craiglist.com. I am a New Orleans native relocating back to the city and have found a ton of great places through those! Truthfully New Orleans is a city that you need to go and look around to see the places. One block is nice and another block is dodgy. You really need to be able to be there to find a place. Also, look at the warehouse district. Its young, hip and trendy. There are great resturants and bars. You would be be about 10-15 mins from metairie, and would cross the cresent city connection to go to Houma. I also recommend old metairie. If I could recommend anything I would recommend coming down a few weeks before your moving and find a place while your here. I would under no circumstances rent a place site unseen because of the neighborhood situations down here. Good Luck with your move, and don't let these people scare you. The city is still amazing, even with all the current issues!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana