U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2010, 05:46 PM

37,757 posts, read 11,949,575 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Lafayette, LA to visit family during the New Years. How likely would Lafayette and the surrounding communities receive any snowfall during this time of the year? As I will be flying to Lafayette out of LAX (Los Angeles) with a transfer in either Dallas or Houston, weather is a bit of a concern as I really do not wish to be stranded due to adverse weather conditions. So what is the weather usually like during the New Years season and should I plan for snow? Thanks for your help.

Chatteress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 06:07 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,112,896 times
The chances of you seeing snow in Lafayette are like 1-5%. It doesn't get that cold for the most part in south Louisiana.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 PM

1,681 posts, read 2,622,838 times
snow has happened on occasion in December, and actually accumulated a bit the last couple of years, however it is a laughably small amount and wouldnt ground a plane. It would melt off the wings pretty much on contact or shortly thereafter. Snow is enough of a rarity as to become a big news story.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:00 PM

72 posts, read 194,645 times
Dallas can get ice storms. Check the online weather sites for your travel dates....I have a lot of relatives in that city, and Big D does get ice, sorry to tell you...
Houston, no, Lafayette, no.....look, ice CAN form anywhere on the planet if there's moisture and it gets 32 or below, right? But if you wake up to ice in Houston or Lafayette, it's like, one gazillionth of an inch, and if you cough on it really hard, it melts... I was a transplanted Northerner before I moved to SW Louisiana, and it was funny how panicked everyone got when the weather threatened to go below, oh, 45 or so...everyone was wearing mittens and hats and huge coats and I was in a tshirt. It wasn't funny after my body acclimated, and I went up North again and froze to death as soon as the weather hit 45....so Dallas could be iffy as far a sice, but Lafayette, enjoy yourself...no worries. >)

Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 PM

415 posts, read 579,941 times
Thunderstorms associated with a cold front or fog are far more likely to cause delays this time of year. But don't expect it. If anything of that sort does happen, it is usually of short duration and rarely reaches the level where flights are actually canceled. But if winter conditions are your main concern, take Continental into Houston rather than American into Dallas. But quite frankly, neither has a history of stranding passengers...

Just enjoy your trip.

Last edited by JimLFT; 12-13-2010 at 12:15 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,250,641 times
I've seen snow five times in the last fifty years in Lafayette so my answer would be not to expect any snow.

What will the weather be like? Good luck with that. You might need shorts and tshirts or you might need polar wear.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 PM

415 posts, read 579,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
You might need shorts and tshirts or you might need polar wear.
I've got both, but I vote for T-shirts and shorts. I've discovered that gumbo tastes just as good either way...

Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
I've got both, but I vote for T-shirts and shorts. I've discovered that gumbo tastes just as good either way...
One of my biggest motivations (aside from visiting family) is eating some good seafood gumbo and boudin! I'm salivating just thinking about it!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:31 AM

14,097 posts, read 14,213,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
One of my biggest motivations (aside from visiting family) is eating some good seafood gumbo and boudin! I'm salivating just thinking about it!
I prefer chicken and sausage Gumbo. My wife makes her gumbo roux from scratch and the gumbo comes out thick and dark.

As for the snow, you don't have to worry about it in Lafayette. Your connecting flight from Dallas is a different story. Keep an eye on the weather in Dallas.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I prefer chicken and sausage Gumbo. My wife makes her gumbo roux from scratch and the gumbo comes out thick and dark.

As for the snow, you don't have to worry about it in Lafayette. Your connecting flight from Dallas is a different story. Keep an eye on the weather in Dallas.
I'm sure your wife's gumbo is yummy but I just gotta have seafood in mine. It would not be gumbo without the shrimp and crabs. That's what I grew up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana