Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

Back in 1964 my dad joined the Navy and went to boot camp in Great Lakes, Il. When they found out he was a Cajun from south Louisiana, they made him take off his shoes and socks to look at his feet. They wanted to see if it was true that Cajuns had webbed feet from walking through the swamps. When I joined the Navy in 1990, because I was Cajun, they thought that this was my first time on dry land and wearing shoes. I later became engaged to a girl from the back woods of Arkansas who also had joined the Navy. She got out early due to a hardship discharge. When she went home and told her folks she was engaged to a Cajun, they were literally on the verge of kicking her out the family because they thought Cajun meant half white/half black. Anyone ever hear of other weird beliefs of Cajuns, Creoles, or people from Louisiana in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
I've never heard of the webbed feet.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,493 times
When I was going through boot, all the guys from the east thought most of La. was swampland. I sometimes played along and told them that I had to ride a Pirogue back and forth to school. Not much else was ever brought up.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:11 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
One thing is that people from other regions of the country think everybody in Louisiana is Cajun. Well I certainly wouldn't mind being one but I may can only find a little French blood in my background. And its from another part of the country. So I'm not going to lie to people if I were asked what I am. Some people actually do that. Maybe they just don't know or are ashamed of who they are. But Louisiana has many different people just like the other states have.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 PM

261 posts, read 418,100 times
My first introduction to Cajuns was thru an Emmylou Harris song in the 1970"s, "Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight"

It's is down in the Swampland, anything goes,
It's alligator bait and the bars don't close.
It's the real thing, down in Louisiana.

Did you ever see a Cajun when he really got mad
When he got trouble like a daughter gone bad?
It gets real hot, down in Lousiana.

Stranger better move it or he's gonna get killed
Gonna have to get it or a shot gun will
It ain't no time for lengthy speaches.

Still one of my all time favorite songs. It made me wanna see South Louisiana.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
There's an old rumor that Cajuns all speak French and that they will shoot you as soon as look at you.

None of this is true. My room mate is born and bred Cajun. He's the biggest anime/brony/gamer nerd you'll ever meet and doesn't know a word of French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana