Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,766 times

Advertisements

Tired of bumper to bumper traffic, city sprawl, getting lost in such a big city. I lived in New Orleans (and loved it) for many years but don't wish to go back since Katrina, but I love Louisiana...the people, music, food, culture are what I miss most. Why I'm posting? I'd appreciate any feedback from people who moved there, or have been there a while, and their experience. How is the cost of living, crime, biking, live music? Merci beaucoup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 PM

432 posts, read 1,082,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalaimama View Post
Tired of bumper to bumper traffic, city sprawl, getting lost in such a big city. I lived in New Orleans (and loved it) for many years but don't wish to go back since Katrina, but I love Louisiana...the people, music, food, culture are what I miss most. Why I'm posting? I'd appreciate any feedback from people who moved there, or have been there a while, and their experience. How is the cost of living, crime, biking, live music? Merci beaucoup!
Okay. Seems we're looking at a mixed bag here. Cost of living, crime and live music are good pluses when looking to move here. I'll even throw in the lack of sprawl by Austin standards for good measure. Yet, you can expect bumper to bumper in many areas for no other reason than poor planning and streets designed for a city of 70,000 in a city of 120,000 with an additional 20,000+ commuters. Improvements are currently in the works at a decent rate and seem to be a fortunate constant. But, just last evening, it took me 40 minutes to cross town after the rush.

Traffic here is no picnic due to our lack of infrastructure, but your experience on Mopac and I-35 may offer some perspective that we probably take for granted.

Come visit and drive around. And don't forget to eat at one (or more) of our signature eateries!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,309,161 times
I've heard from relatives in dc and Dallas that Lafayette traffic really isn't too bad. They said at least it keeps moving.

Anyway, I honestly think you'll like it here.
I'll post more when I get home from work.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,309,161 times
Ok a few things:

cost of living is relatively low. Considering you came from Texas it might be about the same. Texas is well known for a low cost of living. So is Louisiana.
Crime is actually a bit higher than average, but I wouldnt call it rampant. Youll be safe on the streets and in most places even at night.
There are biking lanes, and traffic generally pays heed to them, but you definitely need to be aware of your surroundings. You know how people drive here since you lived in NOLA.
The live music in the area is great as always. In a few weeks the Festival International comes to town and the downtown scene is lively as ever. Lafayette is on a roll lately.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 AM

103 posts, read 269,190 times
Coming from a down right down the road of 3,000 i dont even find the traffic in Lafayette bad

Old 04-02-2011, 11:26 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,014,147 times
Lafayette's southside is still suffering through poor planning (no interstate down there, it's ridiculous!) but if you move to Carencro/Scott/Upper Lafayette you can get around on I-10 with relative ease; less people live out there for the time being also. I went to Lafayette after Katrina and after 4 years there I was fully marianted in the flavor! I loved it!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 PM

432 posts, read 1,082,660 times
I think the general theme here is that we love living in Lafayette in spite of traffic headaches on the southside. Improvements are being made to some extent, but, it's really a mess.

We are no Austin, but we ARE Lafayette. Different, but both rich in our respective cultures.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana