U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM

103 posts, read 177,718 times
Default lafayette one restaurant

If you had to pick one restaurant in Lafayette to eat at what would it be trying to get ideas for this weekend
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 PM

103 posts, read 177,718 times
what would be the best out of Deanos,Alesis,or El Portillo havent tried any of them

Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 PM

639 posts, read 1,039,951 times
Would you consider Kaplan in your scope of Lafayette? It is 30 minutes southwest, but I cannot think of a finer place to eat than Suire's...not a dinner place but lunch. They have a very large menu, huge portions..I cannot think of more authentic Cajun country food than that place. For a grocery store in the middle of nowhere (between Forked Island and Cow Island, right?) to have its own article in the New York Times, that must be saying something. I would recommend the Turtle Sauce Piquante or the Shrimp Stew, but you will NOT be disappointed with whatever you get there. Things like hamburgers and chicken salad sandwiches are also the best I've ever had there, it's insane..these people know how to cook!

If you only have Lafayette proper in mind, Dwight's is probably the best. You will find a lot of the authentic Cajun stuff I was talking about...

Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM

Deanos has really good pizza! The Cajun Canaille (shrimp, jalapenos, andouille) is off the chain. Alesis not so much..El Portillo is probably the best Mexican/Latin American place where English is spoken..although I know some hole in wall places, Spanish only that can cook circles around El Portillo!

Funny, with just about every type of food imaginable, you can name me a mid-priced restaurant and I can recommend a better, dirt-cheap plate lunch place in Lafayette. Acadians love to eat and they'll feed you for cheap!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 PM

414 posts, read 569,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Would you consider Kaplan in your scope of Lafayette? It is 30 minutes southwest, but I cannot think of a finer place to eat than Suire's...not a dinner place but lunch. They have a very large menu, huge portions..I cannot think of more authentic Cajun country food than that place. For a grocery store in the middle of nowhere (between Forked Island and Cow Island, right?) to have its own article in the New York Times, that must be saying something. I would recommend the Turtle Sauce Piquante or the Shrimp Stew, but you will NOT be disappointed with whatever you get there. Things like hamburgers and chicken salad sandwiches are also the best I've ever had there, it's insane..these people know how to cook!

If you only have Lafayette proper in mind, Dwight's is probably the best. You will find a lot of the authentic Cajun stuff I was talking about...
I will seriously consider heading to Kaplan. Have you been to Poche's in Cecilia? I've been hearing good things, but subjectivity being what it is....

I absolutely LOVE Deano's pizza, but when I get a craving for a good veal parmesan, I'm at Alesi's or iMonelli. Nash's is an alternate, but their marinara is slightly too sweet for my taste, but their fish (amberjack) beneigh appetizer is good enough for the compromise.

Suires, huh? Good to know. Maybe a short road trip is in order.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:07 AM

Without a doubt, the best kept secret of Cajun food. When I go back to Louisiana for two weeks in May, Suire's is the #1 priority..they also sell most of their entrees in frozen containers which is an extra bonus, as it is a grocery store and all.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpnkckr7 View Post
If you had to pick one restaurant in Lafayette to eat at what would it be trying to get ideas for this weekend
Poor Boys Riverside Inn. Get the Cajun Shrimp Alfredo. But, if you are in the mood for deep fried, get the flounder. Also available grilled or broiled.

Whatever you pick from the menu will be outstanding. Just enjoy!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Without a doubt, the best kept secret of Cajun food. When I go back to Louisiana for two weeks in May, Suire's is the #1 priority..they also sell most of their entrees in frozen containers which is an extra bonus, as it is a grocery store and all.
Have you heard of the Nunez Grocery, or whatever it's called on the way from Abbeville to Kaplan? I hear great things about that place, as well.

Either way, you have convinced me to take a drive tomorrow or Sunday.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 AM

275 posts, read 285,317 times
My favorate so far is Poor Boy's Riverside Inn as mentioned above. I can enjoy just about anything they put out on the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana