Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,226 times

Advertisements

I know it's been asked many, many, many times but I need to find out what all of you think about the culture and current state of life in New Orleans and the surrounding area. I have a great opportunity to relocate and work for Northrop Grumman a great company with great attributes and stability. I will be flying down this monday for a 2 day visit and interview. Again the job is opportunity is great, but it is the location (New Orleans) that has my wife and I nervous about the potential move. We currently live in Oakland County which is one of the richest counties in the U.S. The school system is phenomenal. There are 4 choice schools that we can choose from and all are blue ribbon recipients. We have 3 wonderful boys and our first priority is education and everything else is secondary. We have found that a great school system equates to a great community. We are very intolerant of any discrimination as we are a bi-racial couple; i'm black and my wife is white. Its important to our family that we live in a community that is open to any and all diversity. With all that said, can anyone allay any fears that we have on our potential move? Are there any schools that would fit our expectations? Thanks in advance for you help!

Christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 06:22 PM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
I've got to tell it to you like it is. We lived in NO for 15 yrs and had to move after Katrina. My wife's whole family is from NO so I know what I'm saying.
1. NO is a racist community. Not everyone, but a lot of people are. I think you will be looked down upon with your racial diversity of your marriage.
2. The schools are terrible, you will have to enroll your kids in good private schools, depending upon their age, tuition for middle school can be 15k per year each.
3. Is Northrup Grumman on the Westbank of the River? If so, I would not recommend living there. Crime is rampant right now in Orleans and Jefferson Parish on the Westbank.
If you would like, you can send me a private message by clicking on my name on this post. You can ask me specifics and I will try to answer them. Bottom line, NO is a great opportunity for the right people, but honestly being a biracial couple with young kids, I don't think it's the best place for you, sorry.
BTW, I graduated from U of M, Go Blue!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:48 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,807 times
I live in the western part of Oakland County and I've visited N.O. many times. I have always thought the Metro Detroit area was one of the most racist in the country and certainly less tolerant than New Orleans proper. I'm sure that certain areas outside of New Orleans (like the north shore or Metairie) have some intolerant ideas, but the city of New Orleans itself has always seemed pretty diverse.
Of course, that's just me comparing it to the Detroit area.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 PM

10 posts, read 304,841 times
Hey! I'm from Michigan too. From the Lansing area but am a graduating senior at CMU. I'll be moving to New Orleans for Law School in May. Plus, I'm bi-racial, so we've got that aspect in common too! You'll definitely have an ally down there, in myself!

I'm with electric_lady in that I've always thought of the Metro Detroit area as not so good when it comes to race relations. It is one of the most segregated areas in the U.S. and that is evident from the people I know from that area. A large amount of the white people I know from those areas are extremely ignorant and some are borderline, flat out racist.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 AM

9 posts, read 44,874 times
If you stick to the North Shore the education system, is as good as just about anywhere else. My wife and I live on 40 acres just outside of Slidell. We're 2 minutes from the Interstate, and another 2 minutes to the mall and the big box stores. We moved here 20 years ago from Houston, and I'm originally from Chappaqua, NY. You know, where the Clinton's now live. The nice thing is, there's a Heart Hospital almost at the end of our driveway now. I'm a recently retired GS-15 gov't employee, and I've seen and spent time in just about every city in America. The only thing I hate is the summers. About New Orleans. I've always loved New Orleans, and if you go to the wrong area's you can get hurt. At least, more so pre-Katrina. We don't have any real close neighbors, and that's how I like it. I don't want to live in any subdivisions anymore. There's great places to live like Abita Spring's, that's only about 45 minutes from the city. It's also the only place in the South where you don't have to have a drawl. Most people from the 9th Ward sound like they're from Brooklyn. I've lived all my 60 or so years within 30 miles of the coast of the US. I think when I go inland for too long, I get agoraphobia. I think you'll do fine here, and there's a million things to do. I'm just a homebody and have been there and done that. But, don't forget it's a red state and people have very conservative values here. Being a liberal is like being an atheist. If you're progressive, just don't share you're thought's. David Duke almost became the Governor after we moved here, and that was a culture shock for us. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2007, 12:39 AM

9 posts, read 44,874 times
Oh yeah, regarding your comment: "We are very intolerant of any discrimination as we are a bi-racial couple; I'm black and my wife is white. Its important to our family that we live in a community that is open to any and all diversity." This part of Louisiana is about as mixed as you will find anywhere in America. You know the Creole background, etc. In all honesty, I find racism everywhere in America among stupid and narrow minded jerks. Possibly, more prevalent in the South but old habits die hard. Personally, I could care less or my wife. Then again I might feel differently if it hit home more personally. We're not Christian's and do hear comments from time to time. So, we know how it feels. We don't associates with people who exhibit those tendencies. I'm sorry to say, it does exist and won't change in my lifetime. You'll do just fine though!

Old 04-29-2007, 07:28 PM

54 posts, read 282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masse1ta View Post
A large amount of the white people I know from those areas are extremely ignorant and some are borderline, flat out racist.
You’ll find some of the same kind of people in New Orleans, but they’re not white.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 AM

45 posts, read 219,136 times
Oh lordy, I would not move thier since you are use to such great conditions. You both will go into culture shock! I live in Louisiana, and I wuold not move to that part of La..

Old 05-06-2007, 09:58 AM

9 posts, read 43,367 times
I agree 100% with rgreenkrb about both sides having ignorant and some are borderline, flat out racist people. I live in Texas now and am appauled (sp?) when I go back home to Louisiana and see how the people are and how they treat each other. I had a black lady pretty much run smack dab into me (and there was PLENTY OF ROOM FOR HER TO WALK AROUND) and since I said "um, excuse you" I became a racist. She went off on a racist cussed filled rant about how "I was keeping her down in society" To me, it had NOTHING to do with race but manners. I see the same type attitude in white people, they will "play" like they aren't racist but they really are. I have life long friends that meet new friends but once they find out they are in a biracial relationship, they find ways to avoid them after that. Very small minded people. Very sad, and everytime I go home I just see more and more of it.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:43 PM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
I know this post is a couple of months old, and I don't chime in much on the forums, but I must comment on this one. I live over in Mobile, AL not far from New Orleans. I have had Oakland County, MI as one of my top preferences of places to live after visiting a few times for the great reasons you listed, not to mention I love the cold vs. the miserable heat/humidity here. Let me just tell you this....stay where you are. You live in a prosperous, wonderful place with good schools. Going to New Orleans is like going to the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't think you could get any more opposite.

I was there a few weeks ago on business, actually right up the road from Northrup Grumman---the city and surrounding areas are the most poor, miserable, depressing places ever. Miles of dangerous abandoned houses and apartment buildings that aren't condemed create a haven for even more crime. I have no desire to go back there and it's only 150 miles away. Everything outside of the touristy areas is run down, the government is and has always been crooked in LA. If you want to move to a poverty stricken, crime ridden area, go for it; but if I were you, I would seriously find some way of staying where you are. I envy you for living in Oakland County---haha...it's a wonderful place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana