Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM

10 posts, read 22,576 times

Advertisements

Okay,

First of all, I used to be a member on here but that was awhile back and I dont remember my username, so for those who remember, I am the kid from Cincinnati, OH who thought about going to ULM. After getting a two-year degree here I decided to just go for it, girlfriend and I packed up and went exploring in Monroe and apartment hunting, here is how it went and what we thought.

The campus:
Though it lacks in size, its beautiful to say the least, loved it, perfect bayou effect, can't say enough good things about it.

The city:
Actually larger then what I thought, we ate crawfish, catfish, and bread pudding (I think) for the first time, she didn't like crawfish, but I liked and would eat all three again. Eskimos was outstanding. We did venture to the wrong side of town not meaning to but no one bothered us. I read people talk about how boring it is, well not being from there, I don't think it would be near as boring as I have read. Oh, and the mall, was really nice too. An yes lol, West Monroe did smell a little lol.

The people:
I have never met more helpful people that want to help us get a taste of the culture and where to stay and what to do than this town, you guys are great and we both mean that!

The negative:
Only one, while leaving Louisiana, I stopped to get gas. I am a white male, I had what I asume is a cop, in a black SUV with "Marshal" wrote across it. He yelled at me if I want to walk around here pull my pants up. I thought he was kidding because I had a reds shirt on and he knew I was out of towner. I smiled and said "whats that?" Then he got hateful and stepped toward me and said it again. I was actually warned about "red neck" cops so I just kinda turned away and left. I didn't understand why this happend, and if your wondering, I had shorts on, and they were not low.

To End:
We found an apartment, counting down the days to move there in July, and Bart Scott says "Can't wait"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,014,147 times
I am not a big North Louisiana fan but if push came to shove I could do Monroe, Shreveport or Natchitoches. ULM has a really nice campus no doubt about it. I went to UL-Lafayette (arch rivals) and I really liked ULM's small campus feel and friendliness. Louisiana is a friendly state, but in comparison to Monroe, Lafayette people aren't all that nice and New Orleans folk are downright pretentious. Only compared to Monroe though! Folks there will really go out of their way to be helpful, no doubt about it. I do find Monroe a tad boring but that makes the people 100 times better, they take the time to enjoy one another and strengthen their relationships with one another because they don't have a million distractions like New Orleans.

Be careful with cops, they are the anti-thesis to New Orleans carefree lawlessness. Don't drink and drive, they will catch you. Don't drink outside, you will get ticketed. If you wanna do all that stuff go down south (unfortunately it's a good solid 4 hours+ to New Orleans). Glad yall enjoyed it, hope you settle in well.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM

10 posts, read 22,576 times
I don't drink so looks like that would go fine by me, I agree with what you said, thanks for the reply =")

Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM

432 posts, read 1,082,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Lafayette people aren't all that nice and New Orleans folk are downright pretentious. Only compared to Monroe though!
Good qualifier there! I'll always defend the friendliness of Lafayette, but grant that Monroe hasn't disappointed on that front. Can't say I've ever met anyone there who wasn't first class.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 AM

31 posts, read 126,685 times
I went to ULM when it was NLU, and I had fun there. Monroe is a run-down version of West Monroe, and the worst parts of the cities are the downtown areas of Monroe. I don't know how the schooling is at ULM since it's change, but the library there is very nice, and the bayou makes it pleasant to drive around.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM

420 posts, read 475,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong_surfer61 View Post
Okay,

First of all, I used to be a member on here but that was awhile back and I dont remember my username, so for those who remember, I am the kid from Cincinnati, OH who thought about going to ULM. After getting a two-year degree here I decided to just go for it, girlfriend and I packed up and went exploring in Monroe and apartment hunting, here is how it went and what we thought.

The campus:
Though it lacks in size, its beautiful to say the least, loved it, perfect bayou effect, can't say enough good things about it.

The city:
Actually larger then what I thought, we ate crawfish, catfish, and bread pudding (I think) for the first time, she didn't like crawfish, but I liked and would eat all three again. Eskimos was outstanding. We did venture to the wrong side of town not meaning to but no one bothered us. I read people talk about how boring it is, well not being from there, I don't think it would be near as boring as I have read. Oh, and the mall, was really nice too. An yes lol, West Monroe did smell a little lol.

The people:
I have never met more helpful people that want to help us get a taste of the culture and where to stay and what to do than this town, you guys are great and we both mean that!

The negative:
Only one, while leaving Louisiana, I stopped to get gas. I am a white male, I had what I asume is a cop, in a black SUV with "Marshal" wrote across it. He yelled at me if I want to walk around here pull my pants up. I thought he was kidding because I had a reds shirt on and he knew I was out of towner. I smiled and said "whats that?" Then he got hateful and stepped toward me and said it again. I was actually warned about "red neck" cops so I just kinda turned away and left. I didn't understand why this happend, and if your wondering, I had shorts on, and they were not low.

To End:
We found an apartment, counting down the days to move there in July, and Bart Scott says "Can't wait"
Well....I'm glad someone stops assuming, reseaching, and following all the foul heresay talk.

Monroe, is the stereotypical small city. Something to have easily take ownership of. All places have rough spots, but the good thing about Monroe it gives you the opportunity to be anything you want it.

There are many, many outdoor water scenerys like Bayou Desiards, its easy to explore, and if you need any advice or info about the area I would be more than happy to help you destroy all the bad myths that's said about Monroe. Just message me!!
Monroe Haters!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana