Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Why do so many Catholics use drinking as a reason to support that faith? It's not that Protestants believe we shouldn't have fun or indulge in a drink, but our lives don't revolve around it. I once asked a girl why she was Catholic and she said it was because she liked to drink. Do you know how pathetic that sounds? When people have that mentality, they choose to study "religion" over trying to be Christlike. Yes we are all sinners, but to choose your faith because you want to go out and get drunk and screw a bunch of dudes is sad. If you have that attitude, you are not saved as the Bible tells us so.

There is a huge difference between having a drink or two and drunkenness. Way to many Catholics disregard the sin of drunkenness and even choose to advocate it. This to me shows they don't care to learn what the Bible says and when you don't know what God's word is, how can you pretend to believe you know him; and if you don't know him, I have some bad news. Jesus makes it very clear to people who don't know him and if they have salvation in heaven.
So you are saying that you think Catholic's lives revolve around being drunk and condoning alocholism?...well isn't that nice of you.

BTW in case you didn't catch it, I was poking fun at a common stereotype...there are plenty of Catholics who don't drink and plent of of Protestants who spend most of their lives drunk off their ass. I'm Catholic and I actually might have a drink only once per month.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
I'm Catholic and happily drunk as I post this.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I'm Catholic and happily drunk as I post this.
Catholicism,

Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Catholicism,
At its finest!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
The article does not declare Louisiana the worst state - It is the Scariest State. I bet you start shaking when you travel to Rhode Island also since it is the 4th scariest state.

I think the point of the article is that atheists are cowards.

Now that being said; WHOOOOOOO CAAARES??????? Scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Halloween!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
10 Scariest States to Be An Atheist | Belief | AlterNet

Louisiana is the worst state to be an atheist, according to this article. All I can say is thankfully I live in Connecticut where religion is not so important to most people.

As an atheist myself, I find it completely sad and unacceptable that this LA boy's parents kicked him out of the house during his high school years, simply because he was a nonbeliever.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM

270 posts, read 587,317 times
Look man. I had a girl tell me on a date that she was Catholic because she liked to get drunk. This belief is not out of the ordinary. When was the last time you heard a message on drunkenness in a Catholic church? I agree with you that Protestants get drunk as well, but it is frowned upon in the church. The Catholic would look the other way. I was at an LSU tailgate the weekend of the Auburn game with all Catholics and they were pounding those beers like prohibition was about to set in.

And I do want to add that yes I am Baptist, but the Baptist church does have it wrong on theology, so don't think I'm beating you or Catholics up over the issue. There is nothing wrong with having an occasional drink. I commend people like yourself who don't feel the need to party it up every weekend. My point is that drunkeness is not condoned in the Catholic church and I wish people would realize that it's not acceptable to live your life that way.

Have a blessed day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
So you are saying that you think Catholic's lives revolve around being drunk and condoning alocholism?...well isn't that nice of you.

BTW in case you didn't catch it, I was poking fun at a common stereotype...there are plenty of Catholics who don't drink and plent of of Protestants who spend most of their lives drunk off their ass. I'm Catholic and I actually might have a drink only once per month.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
People can live their lives however they please. Whether it is acceptable or not doesn't rely on your opinion.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Look man. I had a girl tell me on a date that she was Catholic because she liked to get drunk. This belief is not out of the ordinary. When was the last time you heard a message on drunkenness in a Catholic church? I agree with you that Protestants get drunk as well, but it is frowned upon in the church. The Catholic would look the other way. I was at an LSU tailgate the weekend of the Auburn game with all Catholics and they were pounding those beers like prohibition was about to set in.

And I do want to add that yes I am Baptist, but the Baptist church does have it wrong on theology, so don't think I'm beating you or Catholics up over the issue. There is nothing wrong with having an occasional drink. I commend people like yourself who don't feel the need to party it up every weekend. My point is that drunkeness is not condoned in the Catholic church and I wish people would realize that it's not acceptable to live your life that way.

Have a blessed day
Ever considered maybe she was making a joke???? People sometimes joke, you know.

I seriously doubt she decided one day "I think I'll be Catholic...that way it's okay to drink alot."

That sounds like a very bizarre tailgate if you knew the religion of everyone there. Generally at the tailgates I've been to, I don't even know the names of 3/4 of the people there.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:13 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Quote:

Have a blessed day
You'd do well in Medieval England.

I used to be a bill collector. One of the rules in the office was that if the message on their voicemail ended with "have a blessed day", they were certain not to pay their bills. I never knew an exception to the rule.

If you think Catholics or members of any other religion are going to give you an attaboy for looking down on them, you're sorely mistaken.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
1. Since this is an open forum, I would like to remind the folks that people from other states have a right to post threads and comments in any particular state forum.

2. When dealing with issues like atheism, I think it is instructive to remember that atheists, agnostics, and deists are no different that followers of Baha'i, Zoroastrianism, Sikhism or even Buddhism or Judaism for that matter ... simply because they are not Christians does not mean that they are not entitled to full civil rights and equality and RESPECT. Making a non-Christian high school student participate in a prayer of a christian nature is in my view unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana