U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you agree with this plan for Louisiana?
Absolutley! 3 17.65%
I like it. 0 0%
A bit extreme. 2 11.76%
I do not agree with any of this! 12 70.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 2,101,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Maybe if we all just stop responding to this nonsense , the OP will take his toys and go home . I guess I'll get reported for that . Whatever .
What nonsense? After much careful thought, I have decided to volunteer for conscription in L'Grand'Armie d'la'Republique. If the French is off there, it's because the army didn't exist until I created it. Either join us in pillaging, or get out of the way. We won't have any pikers in the Republique. No, siree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 09:47 AM

114 posts, read 127,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
What nonsense? After much careful thought, I have decided to volunteer for conscription in L'Grand'Armie d'la'Republique. If the French is off there, it's because the army didn't exist until I created it. Either join us in pillaging, or get out of the way. We won't have any pikers in the Republique. No, siree.
Thank you.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:00 AM

114 posts, read 127,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You can show this to as many administrators and moderators as you want, we are not breaking rules. I asked questions, you answered them, I expressed my concerns and opinions. You want to create a country, what I have shown you is the easiest form of opposition this campaign will face. Get used to it if you plan to take this further.

You need to work on your presentation before you begin something like this. It's not our fault. I don't want Louisiana to turn into some kind of commonwealth or small dependent country.
If you disagree with this campaign and what we stand for then leave this forum and don't come back, you contiue to come back and make remarks for no reason, even after you have been asked to stop, no ones making you come here, read, and then rudly make false comments on how you you dissaprove.

We have nothing against you asking questions, yet unlike what you claim you have not just asked questions, you have made up things, which would result in one of our OPL's to expailn to you otherwise.

One more time and I will report you actions.****

Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 AM

11,069 posts, read 9,139,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLwizyan View Post
If you disagree with this campaign and what we stand for then leave this forum and don't come back, you contiue to come back and make remarks for no reason, even after you have been asked to stop, no ones making you come here, read, and then rudly make false comments on how you you dissaprove.

We have nothing against you asking questions, yet unlike what you claim you have not just asked questions, you have made up things, which would result in one of our OPL's to expailn to you otherwise.

One more time and I will report you actions.****
Learn the rules first.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:53 AM

10,166 posts, read 11,137,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Likely hood of this succeeding is about the same as when Quebec tried to separate from Canada.

Well, they actually came pretty close last time. It's not as half-baked and remote a possibility as you make it sound.

Quebec referendum, 1995 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-21-2011, 05:59 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,243,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, they actually came pretty close last time. It's not as half-baked and remote a possibility as you make it sound.

Quebec referendum, 1995 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Understand the context, though. This was directly after the failed Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords which angered les francophones extensively. In addition to that, they had TWO popular leaders, Lucien Bouchard federally was the leader of Bloc Québécois... and Jacques Parizeau provincially who was the Premier of Québec and leader of Parti Québécois... both parties are sovereigntist parties to this day. The former of the two was EXCEPTIONALLY popular and was the leader of the "Oui" side of the referendum... he was also able to gather sympathy votes after Bouchard's brush with death in December 1994.

Also the wording of the referendum was called into question as confusing:

Acceptez-vous que le Québec devienne souverain, après avoir offert formellement au Canada un nouveau partenariat économique et politique, dans le cadre du projet de loi sur l'avenir du Québec et de l'entente signée le 12 juin 1995?

Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?

Many saw it as asking if voters wanted Québec to try a more autonomous association with Canada FIRST... then if that didn't work, become sovereign (which was what the 1980 referendum asked).... except that this question is actually asking if Québec should become sovereign now...noting that Québec had already tried the idea of an association.

Basically, a perfect storm gathered at that time for the Oui side to have their best possible showing.

Since then, support for sovereignty has declined dramatically... especially this past year. In May, Bloc Québécois was wiped out in federal elections going from having 47 of 75 Québec ridings to only 4 while losing over half of their popular vote... replaced by the federalist NDP. Many think a major reason that this occurred, among other things, was the provincial Parti Québécois annual convention that occurred in the middle of the campaign period where Pauline Marois, leader of PQ and the Opposition Leader in Québec, achieved enormous support for the continuation of her leadership after the party endorsed a major putsch for near authoritarian enforcing of language laws and support for another sovereignty referendum if they were to come to power next year.

In the weeks that followed the federal election, the PQ tried to distance itself from wanting to hold a sovereignty referendum and instead, tried to say that their focus was only on improving Québec's economy for now. That, along with a few other major missteps, has led to an enormous dwindling of support for the PQ as well as two major schisms within the party that has now resulted in multiple members leaving the caucus in l'Assemblée Nationale... a new party for hardcore soverigntists... Option Nationale... which will not abandon their cause... and another new, very populist party... Coalition pour l'avenir du Québec... which supports solidfying the fundamentals of Québec society without having a discussion on Québec soveriengty.

In recent opinion polls for the 2012 election, PQ looks like it will be effectively destroyed, and CAQ looks to take an overwhelming victory.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Understand the context, though. This was directly after the failed Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords which angered les francophones extensively. In addition to that, they had TWO popular leaders, Lucien Bouchard federally was the leader of Bloc Québécois... and Jacques Parizeau provincially who was the Premier of Québec and leader of Parti Québécois... both parties are sovereigntist parties to this day. The former of the two was EXCEPTIONALLY popular and was the leader of the "Oui" side of the referendum... he was also able to gather sympathy votes after Bouchard's brush with death in December 1994.

Also the wording of the referendum was called into question as confusing:

Acceptez-vous que le Québec devienne souverain, après avoir offert formellement au Canada un nouveau partenariat économique et politique, dans le cadre du projet de loi sur l'avenir du Québec et de l'entente signée le 12 juin 1995?

Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?

Many saw it as asking if voters wanted Québec to try a more autonomous association with Canada FIRST... then if that didn't work, become sovereign (which was what the 1980 referendum asked).... except that this question is actually asking if Québec should become sovereign now...noting that Québec had already tried the idea of an association.

Basically, a perfect storm gathered at that time for the Oui side to have their best possible showing.

Since then, support for sovereignty has declined dramatically... especially this past year. In May, Bloc Québécois was wiped out in federal elections going from having 47 of 75 Québec ridings to only 4 while losing over half of their popular vote... replaced by the federalist NDP. Many think a major reason that this occurred, among other things, was the provincial Parti Québécois annual convention that occurred in the middle of the campaign period where Pauline Marois, leader of PQ and the Opposition Leader in Québec, achieved enormous support for the continuation of her leadership after the party endorsed a major putsch for near authoritarian enforcing of language laws and support for another sovereignty referendum if they were to come to power next year.

In the weeks that followed the federal election, the PQ tried to distance itself from wanting to hold a sovereignty referendum and instead, tried to say that their focus was only on improving Québec's economy for now. That, along with a few other major missteps, has led to an enormous dwindling of support for the PQ as well as two major schisms within the party that has now resulted in multiple members leaving the caucus in l'Assemblée Nationale... a new party for hardcore soverigntists... Option Nationale... which will not abandon their cause... and another new, very populist party... Coalition pour l'avenir du Québec... which supports solidfying the fundamentals of Québec society without having a discussion on Québec soveriengty.

In recent opinion polls for the 2012 election, PQ looks like it will be effectively destroyed, and CAQ looks to take an overwhelming victory.
Pretty good analysis for someone who lives so far away. I live in Quebec BTW.

Regarding the Perfect Storm theory you are correct, but the Perfect Storm, where a window opens up in history, is often precisely how and when national independence happens.

Also note that right after Meech collapsed in 1990, support for independence in Quebec reached over 70% in the polls. But no referendum was held because the federalist pro-Canada Liberals were in power in Quebec at the time and would never have held one. The window in history started to slowly close after 1990, and eventually the PQ took power and organized a referendum in 1995, but the window in history closed just before indepedence could slip through.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,124,487 times
Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and say that this movement will go NOWHERE . Well , except for a few internet forums maybe .

Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I'll go out on a limb and say that this movement will go NOWHERE . Well , except for a few internet forums maybe .
If you look at the history, nowhere is way too strong a term, but I will say that the odds of it being successful one day are not on their side.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,243,790 times
Quote:
If you look at the history, nowhere is way too strong a term, but I will say that the odds of it being successful one day are not on their side.
In this particular case, I would say it is exceptionally doubtful as there is no general consensus among a large group that the culture is dying/in need of imminent saving and protection like there is in Québec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana