U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,049,726 times
Smile North Lake Charles Redevelopment

I've made occasional references to this development in the Lake Charles area and would like to get some discussion started on it. Not just from lake area residents, but others in the state and out of the state who frequent Louisiana. Currently in Lake Charles, just north of the enterprise blvd overpass, there is construction work going on for a parkway that is supposed:

A. provide an alternate evacuation route, relieving hwy 171 of some traffic.

B. be the beginning for reinvigorating the area in North Lake Charles along the Calcasieu River.

When all is said and done, city officials hope to see real estate and commercial development along the street. There is also plans for nice homes, to replace some of the vacant and deteriorating homes that currently plague the area (that explains why they are building so many low income neighborhoods lately in this city). The street is not quite done yet, and I have not heard anything on when it should be done. How do LC residents feel about this attempt? Do you think it'll be good for LC? What about other's who frequent Louisiana? How do you feel about this? Do you think it will work?

I'd love your input here, as well as on my article. All comments are welcome!

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 09-08-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 AM

10,626 posts, read 8,063,777 times
It's about time. I thought this plan was long-time-coming? It's great. Lake Charles has a golden oppurtunity with it's waterfront real estate and can capitalize off of it. I think Lake Charles should focus on the retirement niche, think it would do well.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:55 PM

Glad to see you are interested annie. It's funny that you mention retirement. Graywood (Golf community on the southside of the city) just put in a retirement center. There are actually alot of retirees that live in Graywood actually. I believe that the Imperial Pointe development off of nelson road will have some assisted living homes as well.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 09-10-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 PM

10,626 posts, read 8,063,777 times
I'm interested in the entire Gulf Coast, especially Louisiana. I don't want to get off topic but this development sounds nice. Is there a time frame as to when we can expect ground breaking?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 AM

I actually have not heard anything yet. I passed by and I see that the parkway is being constructed as we talk. With that being said, I'm going to be on the lookout. In the meantime, I'll the city of lake charles on their facebook page.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Default Got some photo shots of the street

Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,301 times
the "boulevard" extension northward will be amazing. the views west/northwest towards the river will be stunning and will surprise many locals. North LC/Goosport has been overlooked for so long will be interesting to see what fresh eyes might make of its potential. I'm hoping the esplanade/neutral ground will be planted, maybe not with live oaks like the south/central boulevard (which is one of my favorite streetscapes in the city) but perhaps with something simpatico. Anyway thanks for starting a thread on this, wish best of luck for this project.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manerbenoit View Post
the "boulevard" extension northward will be amazing. the views west/northwest towards the river will be stunning and will surprise many locals. North LC/Goosport has been overlooked for so long will be interesting to see what fresh eyes might make of its potential. I'm hoping the esplanade/neutral ground will be planted, maybe not with live oaks like the south/central boulevard (which is one of my favorite streetscapes in the city) but perhaps with something simpatico. Anyway thanks for starting a thread on this, wish best of luck for this project.
Hi, welcome to the board! It sure is an amazing thing and I'm hoping that all goes well w/ the project, and that we get some interesting developers in that area. I could not agree more that this area of the city has been overlooked for FAR too long, I was actually surprised at how close it was to the Cal River, but then again, Ryan street, which ends at River Road [which overlooks the west fork of the river] is not far from there. As for as the median, I'd like to see some ferns and flowers planted along there. I hear that there is supposed to also be public art work as well. When all is said and done, I hope it'll attract tourism from other parts of the country as well as other parts of Louisiana.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 10-18-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 AM

American Press - Home

First stretch is open Can't wait to see what kind of business minded people begin building along the boulevard once it's complete.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM

422 posts, read 268,183 times
I'm skeptical of growth occurring north of I-10 when it currently already struggles south of I-10. I hope to be proven wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana