Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM

155 posts, read 766,725 times

Advertisements

Another dark day in Louisiana history! Piyush has worked government jobs his entire life and yet he's worth millions?

He voted against the Hate Crimes Prevention act, for the amendment to the Constitution banning gay marriage, against the Prescription Drugs Import bill, against authorizing the State Children's Health Insurance program, and against expanded funding for stem cell research. He has voted consistently to continue funding the war in Iraq. He's a true Louisiana politician.

Last edited by CindyM; 10-24-2007 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
Another dark day in Louisiana history! Piyush has worked government jobs his entire life and yet he's worth millions?

He voted against the Hate Crimes Prevention act, for the amendment to the Constitution banning gay marriage, against the Prescription Drugs Import bill, against authorizing the State Children's Health Insurance program, and against expanded funding for stem cell research. He has voted consistently to continue funding the war in Iraq. He's a true Louisiana politician.
Well, there was always Foster "One Issue" Campbell. Or John "Spent 750K on buying the vote in New Orleans" Georges. Or Walter "Was a Democrat then a Republican then a Democrat" Boasso.

Lots of us here in Looziana (other than this poster ;0) voted for change and we're therefore giving Bobby a chance. And we look forward to what the next four years will bring. The status quo crowd hates Bobby, and they spent their time on the airwaves attacking Bobby's relligion and repeatedly calling him Piyush. But they had nothing else to offer us except more of the same.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 PM

155 posts, read 766,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Lots of us here in Looziana (other than this poster ;0) voted for change and we're therefore giving Bobby a chance. And we look forward to what the next four years will bring. The status quo crowd hates Bobby, and they spent their time on the airwaves attacking Bobby's relligion and repeatedly calling him Piyush. But they had nothing else to offer us except more of the same.
You get what you vote for. I didn't like the man's track record. Same with Bush. Boasso might have been a breath of fresh air. I view media campaigns as an unfortunate byproduct of the electoral process. It's who a man is and what he stands for that speaks to me.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,592 times
Wink Louisiana and India: An observation.

The first time I stayed at the Cypress Bend Resort on Toledo Bend about 2 years ago they were having a medical tech conference there. Many of the medical personnel were East Indian and I visited with a few. They were very impressed by the resort and the area. One told me that it reminded him of the lush, green countryside along the Ganges River in India. He told me that those who grew up in the Indian countryside and had enough money to have a country house would very much like to have a place on a lake like Toledo Bend. He was looking into the possibility himself. Yes, I think that India and Louisiana might be a good fit. I also note that those with a Hindu background know how to "let the good times roll"--they like fashion and bling. That seems to be a good fit for Louisiana if you ask me. I expect more East Indians as tourists, investors, and even residents in the near future.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
You get what you vote for. I didn't like the man's track record. Same with Bush. Boasso might have been a breath of fresh air. I view media campaigns as an unfortunate byproduct of the electoral process. It's who a man is and what he stands for that speaks to me.
Bobby's a young man who wants change. Let's give him a chance. He's also ambitious. And as such, his wanting to be governor of Looziana is something where he HAS to prove himself. But, if he succeeds (like 54% of us want him to do), we'll be eternally grateful. Plus, his election shows that nation what we already knew: Looziana is NOT a racist backwater.

As to Boasso, it's admirable that he started his business and made millions, but he comes from the tightly controlled politics of St Bernard Parish. And his buddying up to the Blanco/Breaux clique is hardly inspiring.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
The first time I stayed at the Cypress Bend Resort on Toledo Bend about 2 years ago they were having a medical tech conference there. Many of the medical personnel were East Indian and I visited with a few. They were very impressed by the resort and the area. One told me that it reminded him of the lush, green countryside along the Ganges River in India. He told me that those who grew up in the Indian countryside and had enough money to have a country house would very much like to have a place on a lake like Toledo Bend. He was looking into the possibility himself. Yes, I think that India and Louisiana might be a good fit. I also note that those with a Hindu background know how to "let the good times roll"--they like fashion and bling. That seems to be a good fit for Louisiana if you ask me. I expect more East Indians as tourists, investors, and even residents in the near future.
And if they come to Looziana, great. They're productive citizens who don't cause trouble and expect the world to provide them a living. By the way, the chemical plants and universities have brought a fair number of Indians and Asians to our fair city of BR. And they're a welcome addition.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
The first time I stayed at the Cypress Bend Resort on Toledo Bend about 2 years ago they were having a medical tech conference there. Many of the medical personnel were East Indian and I visited with a few. They were very impressed by the resort and the area. One told me that it reminded him of the lush, green countryside along the Ganges River in India. He told me that those who grew up in the Indian countryside and had enough money to have a country house would very much like to have a place on a lake like Toledo Bend. He was looking into the possibility himself. Yes, I think that India and Louisiana might be a good fit. I also note that those with a Hindu background know how to "let the good times roll"--they like fashion and bling. That seems to be a good fit for Louisiana if you ask me. I expect more East Indians as tourists, investors, and even residents in the near future. (emphasis Phil75230's)
Except one thing - devout Hindus can't eat beef or beef products (really strict ones won't eat any animal products). But, Louisianians will likely be happy to "hold the beef" upon request; as we like to experiment with food)

Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,592 times
Thumbs up Crawfish and such.

Yeah, I forgot about the beef and pork thing. I think most East Indians would enjoy seafood and any kind of fish. They also like snakes

Hope there are no pet cobras! But, then again, we could use some mongoose.

Seriously, I wish the new governor well. He may not be as liberal as some would like. On the other hand, he may not be as conservative, either. But I hope he is honest and tries his best. Louisiana deserves that.

I am looking forward to Christmas on Toledo Bend lake. Hope we have some nice sunny days. I like walking my land in the winter. It is so peaceful with the wind in the pine trees and the lake lapping on the shore. I sure hope the SRA--Sabine River Authority--follows through and keeps the water level up. Christmas in Louisiana! What could be better. God Bless.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:48 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Default I'm curious

Those of you who are glad to see that Jindal was elected, what do you anticipate he will do for Louisiana?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Those of you who are glad to see that Jindal was elected, what do you anticipate he will do for Louisiana?
(1) Fight for tougher ethics laws
(2) Sell Louisiana as an attractive place to do business
(3) Use our (IMO temporary) oil riches to invest in infrastructure, higher ed, and research, as opposed to wasting it on Billy Bob's pet project like horse barns, fishing rodeos, and the like.
(4) Bring a conservative business-like perspective to government

There's another thing, too: for the first time, we have term-limits kicking in, so you have over the half of the legislature that will be in its first term. That's a LOT of fresh perspectives to bring to the table.

The long and short of it is we have a reform-minded governor with money to spend for the first time since 1979.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana