U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 16,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easythunder1 View Post
I graduated from Louisiana Tech in Ruston, what 27 miles from West Monroe? The federal gov't office down on S. Grand St in Monroe has high fences with barbed wire and concertina wire all around but it does not stop the local gangs from using ladders getting over inside. Nothing much to steal, they just bash the windows out of the vehicles.

Ruston was okay when I lived there for 4 years. I loved it, especially La Tech.

I went to Tech as well. Ruston is a great place!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM

430 posts, read 358,950 times
Well...(pops knuckes)....On a positive note.....first of all to stay on this whole Duck Dynasty reference, anybody hear about the records Duck Dynasty broke for people watching the premiere? Yep....thats North Louisiana alrite, always promoting the boring life of a small town country stagnant lifestyle. But who cares.....certainly not the 14 million... .14 million....14 MILLION people that watch the show! By the way swamp people still comes on...if your up late in the wee hours of the nite.

I mean lets face it....how and why would a show be that popular if Monroe/WestMonroe was sooooo darn (coughs) stu-stu-pid. Lol that kinda answers it but......still that 14 million still has divisions that appreciates other things about that show besides ....."the comedy". The beautiful landscape, their wives and their family values, and the fact that you can clearly see that this area has culture.

Anyway....you can find whatever it is you desire in Ouachita Parish and relax doing it....because we don't rush, we don't fush(except me), and we all get along. And that's a fact Jack! - Duck Dynasty

You want to know unexaggerated facts about this area....please ask specifically. its been awhile since I been on here, but I'm a legend I'm suppose pretend people like me don't exist.....like really who believe Monroe is so fantastic and sexy and cute and lovely and awesome.......aww that's a myth!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 AM

974 posts, read 1,951,546 times
Duck Dynasty is just another example and perhaps the culmination-peak of the Redneck-Renaissance in Reality TV Programming. Everything from Swamp People, to Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo, to Wildman, to Moonshiners, to Bayou Billionaires, etc...etc...etc.. It's basically a real-life cartoon about Redneck Culture and that's fascinating to folks who've never seen it. Think about it, not since the Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres or Hee Haw has there been TV shows focusing on the idiosyncrasies of the south. When I lived/worked in other non-southern states, people were always asking me about Louisiana with odd fascination. I wish I had a quarter every time someone from Chicago or Calif. or NY would ask me about my home-state. They thought we all lived in the swamps and rode boats to school or had alligators in our backyard.

The biggest thing I had to explain was how different the state was in certain areas. They thought Shreveport was on the coast a short drive from New Orleans. As for Duck Dynasty...it's ratings success is a combo of folks curious about what appears to be a completely different culture to theirs OR it's indicative that there's more viewers in the Duck Dynasty demographic tuning in... I think it's a combination of both.

I recall when Cajun restaurants were popping up all over So Calif when I lived there due to the new food craze by Emeril Legasse', Justin Wilson and Paul Prudhomme. It lasted about 5-7 years and switched to something else. Such are pop-culture fads...they come & go.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 AM

430 posts, read 358,950 times
If your theory is correct.....name another show within the "categories" you described, that actually runs a very successful family business, shows good family values, and caters to the hometown area like Duck Dynasty does. Theirs a great deal of intelligence with these people.....what's being displayed is the culture of our area which is hunting, backwoods, expressing yourself in an individualized manner which I is the Louisiana way

Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 PM

There is often a lot more being depicted in the program than hunting, fishing, praying at suppertime. All so-called "reality shows" have a story arc that is thought out in advance, namely you have a "storyline scenario" whether it be the Duck Dynasty guys getting in a lawn-mower race with an old high school nemesis or looking at a local winery to buy. The viewer fascination is on "character" more than anything. Think of Jethro Bodine from Beverly Hillbillies being a Hollywood Heart-throb like Dash Riprock, or a Beverly Hills Brain Surgeon....it's the comedic appeal of an unlikely character in a given scenario, hence the fascination. I wonder when the producers of Duck Dynasty will do a "DD Does Manhattan" or "England"... or "China"... a take of "The Muppets Take Manhattan"...think I'm crazy? Just wait...that story arc is a natural IMHO. The Duck Dynasty attraction is on character more than anything... they are in on the joke too and cashing in handsomely. Anyone who thinks otherwise is really naive to how TV and pop culture really works. IT's CONTRIVED!!

I have a friend how has worked on the show and he has told me as much. Believe what you want but I know what's behind the curtain.

The other "redneck reality shows" like Bayou Billionaires, Honey Boo Boo, etc. have as much to do about "character situations" too. But to answer your question: Bayou Billionaires is a "family-values show" too as they depict family situations in which the family helps each other in different scenarios. The BB "successful business" is their good fortune in the Haynesville Shale O&G boom. "Swamp People" is about how Cajun folk practice their trade as gator hunters, among other things; so their "successful business" is hunting/harvesting gators. AX Men is another show about the business of salvaging old cypress logs from the swamp and the dangers therein. Now there's a new reality show called: The Legend of Shelby, The Swamp Man. Oh and speaking of "family values" remember "Billy the Exterminator" from Bossier City? Each show featured Billy and his brother eradicating some pest from a house, etc. BUT...(pay attention now) 1/2 of the show was often dedicated to some "family issue" and how they overcame it. BTW..his exterminating biz was a "family-operation".
Guess you missed that one. If Billy hadn't of had some legal issues, chances are he'd still be on TV, but that's a story for another time.

Each show has their own story-arc and "family-component" and just like DD, they go through their paces. Reality TV is a cartoon of real-life in that each situation is contrived and exaggerated for effect... there's not a whole lot of difference in the technique whether it's Jersey Shore or Duck Dynasty...only the "characters" and locales differ....some are more family-like, others have their own version of family. But just as folks were fascinated with "TV characters" from Texas in the 1980's (i.e. Dallas).... Louisiana has the spotlight now and it's going to get burned out in short order, you watch 'cuz in 2 yrs it will be something else.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 08-23-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 PM

105 posts, read 216,444 times
I've been reading over some of your old posts Louisiana Legend and I like the way you roll.

I would consider relocating to West Monroe but from what I've seen there are no subdivisons (yep, I'm one of them ) that has an attractive price point. I would think you would be able to find a relatively new 4 bedroom home for under $200K like you can find in Livingston, Lafayette or St. Tammany Parishes, but I have not found that.

I love the Christian faith that Duck Dynasty has and that is a common trait in North Louisiana. What I cannot stand about South Louisiana is how drunkenness is cool in some circles. And don't even get me started about the pervertedness of New Orleans.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:05 PM

Careful TT... I know a lot of bonifide Suthin' Baptists who raise hell on Saturday and pray to heaven on Sunday.
It ain't all ice-cream socials and bible-study... folks who tend to wear religion on their sleeve must be overcompensating for some other reason.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 AM

5,981 posts, read 17,033,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by run4fun26 View Post
Hi!
I am thinking about moving to Monroe to go to graduate school. I am from Illinois and was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the area. Is it a safe town to live in? What neighborhoods are good for living? This is going to be a big move for me and I want to make sure that I will be happy for the next few years so please be honest! Thanks!
Please return to the OP's questions...thanks....

Old 09-02-2013, 04:29 PM

Okie doke.

Dear Original Poster:

You may want to check the local police dept and see if they can send you a recent crime stats report.
In the meantime...here's a link to City-Data's own crime index link:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Louisiana.html

BTW, you may want to see about getting a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to give you a little bit of an advantage should you ever find yourself in a situation that would call for using deadly force to protect yourself and your family. I would also recommend you get properly trained in the safe use and handling of firearms and make sure the rest of your family members get trained also.

Good Luck!

Old 10-26-2013, 02:48 PM

187 posts, read 558,745 times
In 1988 I never ever would have considered living anywhere else now Monroe is last place I'd consider living. The decline in avg income, the decline in enrollment at NLU (not ulm!), the decline in population. There's no way you can put a pretty face on Monroe. No redneck tv show, no nothing is going to restore it to the incredible place it was up until approx. 1987 or so. Numerous factors contributed to this, some avoidable, some not. The entire state is pretty much gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana