Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:51 PM

661 posts, read 1,241,009 times

Advertisements

Thanks for this info. So Lake Charles is not as rainy as Houma? I actually am not a fan of rain so now I'd have to think some more. Would cost of living be a bit higher in Lake Charles than Houma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Houma will get far worse hurricanes than Lake Charles. The land around Lake Charles is 7-30 feet above sea level, the land around Houma is 0 to 7 feet above sea level.

There is much more to do in Lake Charles but Houma is closer to New Orleans which has more to do than anywhere else in the state.

The weather in Lake Charles is drier than Houma, just ever so slightly, and more sunny, being further west and sometimes coming under Texas weather conditions. Houma has among the highest rainfall rates you'd ever imagine. There will be more mosquitoes in Houma than Lake Charles.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:33 AM

814 posts, read 1,465,861 times
Lake Charles and Houma have pretty similar climates, so personally I wouldn't worry to much about that. I think Houma receives about 5 more inches of rain annually (the difference it seems is summer where Houma receives that extra rain) but they are both humid cities that receive a lot of rain. The big main difference I think it comes down to is whether you want the bigger city which is Lake Charles (and the things that come with that). But Houma seems to be more immersed in Cajun culture if that interest you.

Also I don't think Houma was affected that much by Katrina, it was Gustav a few years later that did more damage.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 AM

how's the section of Houma called Elizabeth town? I'm sure Houma does not have places you'd find in New Orleans.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:03 PM

I looked around for apartments in Houma, while there are some it is a bit high for a city no one ever heard of. I lived in Chicago and paid 550 for a studio everything included. Just for example. Anyway, while I did see a few cheaper dwellings in Thibodaux, is this area not too far from the oilfield work?

Old 07-14-2014, 05:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,790,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I looked around for apartments in Houma, while there are some it is a bit high for a city no one ever heard of. I lived in Chicago and paid 550 for a studio everything included. Just for example. Anyway, while I did see a few cheaper dwellings in Thibodaux, is this area not too far from the oilfield work?
Thibodeaux is about 20 minutes further north. Try Galliano if you really need to be close to the oilfield action.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:55 AM

415 posts, read 797,449 times
$550 for a studio, utilities included in Chicago? What year was it? 1950?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 PM

lol 2010. It still is 550. A lot of studio apartments in the Uptown and Rogers Park area start at around $500 for a studio. This is in the northside part of Chicago. It's just as cheap in the southside with plenty of parking than the northside, that is if you want to live in the southside (notorious for crime, etc. than the northside). The apartment I lived in does not raise rent annually. I was going to stay another year and asked if the rent would be raised and the manager said it never rises. Chicago is that kind of place. It's losing people which is why the rents stay where it is. I'm expecting New Orleans, where you're at to be cheaper but I can't seem to find anything.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,112,335 times
Quote:
lol 2010. It still is 550. A lot of studio apartments in the Uptown and Rogers Park area start at around $500 for a studio. This is in the northside part of Chicago. It's just as cheap in the southside with plenty of parking than the northside, that is if you want to live in the southside (notorious for crime, etc. than the northside). The apartment I lived in does not raise rent annually. I was going to stay another year and asked if the rent would be raised and the manager said it never rises. Chicago is that kind of place. It's losing people which is why the rents stay where it is. I'm expecting New Orleans, where you're at to be cheaper but I can't seem to find anything.
I cal live in Chicago's northside (is this the Loop?) for $500 a month...

Old 07-16-2014, 02:44 AM

No. I think the loop (south loop) is technically part of downtown. I was away from downtown, more towards the Montrose Beach area, close to the Riviera Theatre where most rock bands would play at. That area is called Uptown. Some of the apartments do not even have an advertisement in front of the building stating it is apartments for rent so you either have to go in front of the building to dial in the call box thing to call the manager or simply walk in as some apartments may look like an office building. You may see some of these apartments on craigslist which is how I found mines.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 AM

415 posts, read 797,449 times
Quote:
Never would have expected it. While I've been to Chicago I have never lived there. I always expected rent to be astronomically high.

You would be hard pressed to find something decent in New Orleans for $500 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana