U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,227 times

Advertisements

my husband, children and I are moving to Alexandria area because my husband got a job in pollock. We are moving from texas and we wanted to know the following questions....

Is there gator problems here or near cities, pollock, pineville, ball, etc...
Is it a dangerous city (crime)?
We are Mexican, is there racism?

Or any other info anyone can provide would be great, we looking to buy a house in the next two months.

Blessings.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 PM

14,588 posts, read 21,168,752 times
No gator problems that far north.
Here are crime rates: http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Louisiana.html
I don't think you'd have any issues as long as you don't make any issues. Louisiana is getting an influx of Latinos.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:58 PM

Smile Alexandria la

Thank you for that info. My husband is gonna be working at the Pollock prison there and just wanted to know a little of the town we moving to. We were actually born in California but have Mexican roots.

Do u happen to know if there are rodeos like in texas? We love going to rodeos and don't know if there are events or things like that in this part of LA.

Thank you.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM

14,588 posts, read 21,168,752 times
I don't know much about that part of Louisiana although there are rodeos all over the place, as far as I know. The Angola Prison Rodeo goes on every April and October, although it's not near Alexandria.

Try: Louisiana Rodeo Cowboy Association

Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 AM

Thank you very much. Very helpful.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:10 AM

14 posts, read 29,867 times
I am from Alexandria originally. Alex is crime-ridden, but the crime is also very concentrated to the truly "bad" parts of town. If you live in even a half-decent neighborhood you won't have any problems.

Pineville/Ball/Tioga, etc. to the north are largely rural. Pineville is generally where people move when they want to get out of Alexandria. Ball and Tioga are both typical small central Louisiana towns, rural and largely white and you might see some small amount of racist attitude but nothing to worry about. Actually the Latino population is booming all over central La. from Forest Hill and Woodworth south of Alex all the way up.

There are no gators roaming wild in central La., not close to any towns anyway. I've seen the odd one creeped up on the side of the interstate in the middle of nowhere but you've got to get further south and really out in the boondocks for random gator sightings.

One thing I would tell you is driving through little towns in that north central part of Louisiana is GO THE SPEED LIMIT. Actually go 5 mph under it if at all possible. Every small-town dirtbag sheriff is trying to get a piece of a speeder in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or