Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:46 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The main impact on the road there are the trucks. It's equally as heavy I'm sure due to both large ports in Beaumont and Lake Charles, they are next door to each other as well.
I'd still say the traffic is heavier on the Texas side. But all this has little to do with the original point, just that that Texas side tends to be wider/have more lanes due to likely having heavier traffic.

Quote:
The John James Audubon was completed in 2011. Yes there is a demand. You do see the bottleneck at the LA 1 and I-110 interchanges? There's thousands of trucks that clog this area up, not to mention thousands or more employees that live on the other side of the river and commute everyday. I'm the only person I know to call it the westbank up here, but what else makes sense?
It's not just about roads. It's about the attitude towards infrastructure in general. Whether it's schools, sewage, ports, etc.
I'm sure there is some demand, just not enough to where a bridge is that big of a priority. When looking at the Baton Rouge area as a whole, just a sliver of the population lives or works on the other side of the river. It is not a problem for the great majority of people who live in the metro area. Those trucks are likely leaving the metro area anyway, they are not really going out of there way due to the lack of a bridge, using the I-10 bridge would still likely be most convenient for them. So, yes, a bridge probably could have some use there, just like a bridge could have some use connecting Chalmette and lower Algiers or Audubon Park and Westwego or Laplace and Edgard or Kenner and Waggaman but it is all not that big of a priority. I see you trying to steal the phrase Westbank , they don't even have a term for it up there, that should tell you how undeveloped and unimportant it is to the rest of BR.

I wouldn't consider schools to be infrastructure but I would agree there could be a attitude adjustment with that but the other stuff I see no problem with how the state handles it. I mean there's always room for improvement, just as it stands now is not bad.

Quote:
Seems was the key word.
Well if it seems so it most be so. Or maybe it seems not to be so. It just seemed kind of bizarre that you would be able to judge such a thing.

Quote:
Then you don't understand Baton Rouge. A loop around the city without crossing the river does nothing that a loop is designed to do. It would take traveling traffic into south Baton Rouge where traffic is heaviest, or down I-110 that would be through downtown and it would take 20 or so years to complete, to traffic would have increased by a good amount.
So why take it across the river? That would require building two bridges or maybe using the highway 190 bridge for one of the bridges necessary. Most local people would have little use going to that side of the river, they would exit before crossing the river. The only main purpose a loop going to the other side of the river and back would maybe be to give travelers passing through on I-10 a way to avoid central BR but a loop on one side of the river would still do a decent job of doing that. And, yes, the loop could use the interstate 110 spur going through downtown to attach the rest of the loop to.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 06-22-2014 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I'd still say the traffic is heavier on the Texas side. But all this has little to do with the original point, just that that Texas side tends to be wider/have more lanes due to likely having heavier traffic.
There aren't any more lanes. Beaumont has a 6-lane section of I-10 just like Lake Charles, the rest is 4 lanes. The 4 lane section west of Lake Charles is in worse condition than it is around Orange.

Quote:
I'm sure there is some demand, just not enough to where a bridge is that big of a priority. When looking at the Baton Rouge area as a whole, just a sliver of the population lives or works on the other side of the river. It is not a problem for the great majority of people who live in the metro area. Those trucks are likely leaving the metro area anyway, they are not really going out of there way due to the lack of a bridge, using the I-10 bridge would still likely be most convenient for them. So, yes, a bridge probably could have some use there, just like a bridge could have some use connecting Chalmette and lower Algiers or Audubon Park and Westwego or Laplace and Edgard or Kenner and Waggaman but it is all not that big of a priority. I see you trying to steal the phrase Westbank , they don't even have a term for it up there, that should tell you how undeveloped and unimportant it is to the rest of BR.
It is a problem, tens of thousands of people travel through Baton Rouge going to New Orleans every day. New Orleasn benefits from having a denser core, the CCC, HPL, and Luling Bridge are all within 24mi of downtown. Baton Rouge just has the Sunshine, 36 miles away from downtown and out of the way of the majority of the metro population. A new bridge has been mention for decades, just never built.
It may not be Jeff Parish but that side of the river is important, that's where the port is, and that's where majority of our plants lie, and they are announcing expansions all the time. The term here is "'cross da river."
Ferry crossing in Plaquemine just doesn't cut it.

Quote:
I wouldn't consider schools to be infrastructure but I would agree there could be a attitude adjustment with that but the other stuff I see no problem with how the state handles it. I mean there's always room for improvement, just as it stands now is not bad.
Just my pet peeve I guess, however schools are infrastructure.

Quote:
Well if it seems so it most be so. Or maybe it seems not to be so. It just seemed kind of bizarre that you would be able to judge such a thing.
Not bizarre at all. I used to visit Huntsville and Birmingham for years, and traveled through Mobile about 10 times.

That was a lie, but you woulnd't know that. I know Texas and Louisiana roads pretty well, is that bizarre too?
Little Rock has a pretty good freeway network from what I know, should I not be able to compare the two?
This is City-Data.

Quote:
So why take it across the river? That would require building two bridges or maybe using the highway 190 bridge for one of the bridges necessary. Most local people would have little use going to that side of the river, they would exit before crossing the river. The only main purpose a loop going to the other side of the river and back would maybe be to give travelers passing through on I-10 a way to avoid central BR but a loop on one side of the river would still do a decent job of doing that. And, yes, the loop could use the interstate 110 spur going through downtown to attach the rest of the loop to.
Because a loop isn't built for locals, at least not the one I have in mind. It's purpose is to remove the traffic coming through the city, you may not realize how big of a deal it is, but I drive on I-12 to Hammond daily and a large percentage of cars are from out of state. Building a northern loop would require a near complete rebuild of the HPL. There's no way it could handle that amount of traffic increase in it's current state.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
There aren't any more lanes. Beaumont has a 6-lane section of I-10 just like Lake Charles, the rest is 4 lanes. The 4 lane section west of Lake Charles is in worse condition than it is around Orange.
On average, at least to me, the Texas side tends to have more lanes but yes it also has plenty of 4 lane just like Louisiana. I have never noticed that the interstate west of Lake Charles is in worse condition than the Texas side. To me they are pretty similar.

Quote:
It is a problem, tens of thousands of people travel through Baton Rouge going to New Orleans every day. New Orleasn benefits from having a denser core, the CCC, HPL, and Luling Bridge are all within 24mi of downtown. Baton Rouge just has the Sunshine, 36 miles away from downtown and out of the way of the majority of the metro population. A new bridge has been mention for decades, just never built.
It may not be Jeff Parish but that side of the river is important, that's where the port is, and that's where majority of our plants lie, and they are announcing expansions all the time. The term here is "'cross da river."
Ferry crossing in Plaquemine just doesn't cut it.
All in all it just does not seem to be a big deal to me. It's hardly a problem that's crippling the area. You are using this bridge thing as an example of needed infrastructure expansions and showing how poorly the state handles it but I just think it is a weak example. A total of 263,000 cross those bridges in New Orleans daily compared to 124,300 (plus 16,000 for sunshine bridge if you want to include it) in Baton Rouge. Figures are from Wikipedia (so could be incorrect) but shows the difference, even if one of those Baton Rouge Bridges carry I-10.

Quote:
Just my pet peeve I guess, however schools are infrastructure.
The public school buildings themselves may be infrastructure but that's not really the problem in the school system, it's the academic standards and such which I would not consider to be infrastructure.

Quote:
Not bizarre at all. I used to visit Huntsville and Birmingham for years, and traveled through Mobile about 10 times.

That was a lie, but you woulnd't know that. I know Texas and Louisiana roads pretty well, is that bizarre too?
Little Rock has a pretty good freeway network from what I know, should I not be able to compare the two?
This is City-Data.
Eh, it is kind of bizarre. So you don't know Alabama well, that's what you just admitted? I have traveled through Alabama plenty of times too but I would never pretend I'm some expert on it and that I know it well enough to compare to a whole other state. Mobile always has traffic problems on I-10, especially near the tunnel but that is just one small part of the state, so not really great for a whole comparison. You actually lived in Houston, so that's not bizarre (though I doubt you know much about the rest of the state besides some limited visits or looking at in from a map). Comparing a metro area is one thing but then bringing in a whole state is another. I just think a lot of these such comparisons are tough to accurately make, you of course can make them but then I have a right to question them.

Quote:
Because a loop isn't built for locals, at least not the one I have in mind. It's purpose is to remove the traffic coming through the city, you may not realize how big of a deal it is, but I drive on I-12 to Hammond daily and a large percentage of cars are from out of state. Building a northern loop would require a near complete rebuild of the HPL. There's no way it could handle that amount of traffic increase in it's current state.
A loop one side of the river would still tackle that problem. It would save the unnecessary building of two bridges. I mean it is no surprise that a loop like that has not been built, it would be ridiculously expensive and would likely require displacing many people. All in all a ridiculous expense especially considering Baton Rouge is not that big of city. It seems what you are talking about is more of a bypass since loops typically are for locals. It could just be one half of a circle and take travelers passing through around the city. Maybe it could even go across the river and incorporate that new bridge you think should be built so badly. Then that bridge would have a much greater us too. Or that half loop could just use the existing HPL with some improvements and forget about that other bridge.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 06-22-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Old 06-22-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
On average, at least to me, the Texas side tends to have more lanes but yes it also has plenty of 4 lane just like Louisiana. I have never noticed that the interstate west of Lake Charles is in worse condition than the Texas side. To me they are pretty similar.

All in all it just does not seem to be a big deal to me. It's hardly a problem that's crippling the area. You are using this bridge thing as an example of needed infrastructure expansions and showing how poorly the state handles it but I just think it is a weak example. A total of 263,000 cross those bridges in New Orleans daily compared to 124,300 (plus 16,000 for sunshine bridge if you want to include it) in Baton Rouge. Figures are from Wikipedia (so could be incorrect) but shows the difference, even if one of those Baton Rouge Bridges carry I-10.
Traffic is crippling the area, more than one potential employers have mentioned traffic as one of their major concerns in relocating/opening a local office. It's not only the bridge, really. I may be stuck on that right now but it's far from my only concerns about how this state handles it's infrastructure.
Not sure if you are familiar with the Horace Wilkinson but much of that is traveling and truck traffic, since our "Westbank" is much less populated.

Quote:
The public school buildings themselves may be infrastructure but that's not really the problem in the school system, it's the academic standards and such which I would not consider to be infrastructure.
Schools are infrastructure no matter which way you slice it. They are publicly funded institutions, just like every other form, whether it's a levee or a poop pipe.

Quote:
Eh, it is kind of bizarre. So you don't know Alabama well, that's what you just admitted? I have traveled through Alabama plenty of times too but I would never pretend I'm some expert on it and that I know it well enough to compare to a whole other state. Mobile always has traffic problems on I-10, especially near the tunnel but that is just one small part of the state, so not really great for a whole comparison. You actually lived in Houston, so that's not bizarre (though I doubt you know much about the rest of the state besides some limited visits or looking at in from a map). Comparing a metro area is one thing but then bringing in a whole state is another. I just think a lot of these such comparisons are tough to accurately make, you of course can make them but then I have a right to question them.
I never played an expert on Alabama. I said it seemed. Don't take it so seriously. Freeways are a much higher priority throughout Texas. At least in Houston, Dallas, East Texas, Waco, and even Austin from what I know. And no, I'm no expert there either.

Quote:
A loop one side of the river would still tackle that problem. It would save the unnecessary building of two bridges. I mean it is no surprise that a loop like that has not been built, it would be ridiculously expensive and would likely require displacing many people. All in all a ridiculous expense especially considering Baton Rouge is not that big of city. It seems what you are talking about is more of a bypass since loops typically are for locals. It could just be one half of a circle and take travelers passing through around the city. Maybe it could even go across the river and incorporate that new bridge you think should be built so badly. Then that bridge would have a much greater us too. Or that half loop could just use the existing HPL with some improvements and forget about that other bridge.
A northern loop would, using the HPL, take out much of the I-12 traffic bypassing New Orleans. There are many ridiculous expenses that this state has taken on, it would have been much cheaper 10-20 years ago, and will be more expensive 10-20 years from now. To say we aren't that big of a city, we have a terrible traffic problem, and it will only get worse. I guess I do mean a bypass.
Even still, a bridge crossing in the Addis/Plaquemine area is still needed. It would likely keep many people from moving to neighboring Ascension and Livingston Parish, helping to more evenly distribute commuters and keep employees closer to job centers.

Just curious. Do you drive through the area much?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Traffic is crippling the area, more than one potential employers have mentioned traffic as one of their major concerns in relocating/opening a local office. It's not only the bridge, really. I may be stuck on that right now but it's far from my only concerns about how this state handles it's infrastructure.
Not sure if you are familiar with the Horace Wilkinson but much of that is traveling and truck traffic, since our "Westbank" is much less populated.
It really sounds like Baton Rouge is the one with the problems, not so much the rest of the state. I agreed that Baton Rouge has horrendous traffic and something should be done with that, but this bridge is not one of the real priorities to fix it nor would it really fix anything that is that important.

Quote:
Schools are infrastructure no matter which way you slice it. They are publicly funded institutions, just like every other form, whether it's a levee or a poop pipe.
I guess it could be. I just typically think of infrastructure as being physical structures and such and the things related to schools (besides the actual buildings and such things) would not fit that definition but whatever.

Quote:
I never played an expert on Alabama. I said it seemed. Don't take it so seriously. Freeways are a much higher priority throughout Texas. At least in Houston, Dallas, East Texas, Waco, and even Austin from what I know. And no, I'm no expert there either.
Just questioning your logic, don't get so bent out of shape. And yet all those cities still have horrendous traffic problems too. Aren't you the one that is always against expanded interstates?

Quote:
A northern loop would, using the HPL, take out much of the I-12 traffic bypassing New Orleans. There are many ridiculous expenses that this state has taken on, it would have been much cheaper 10-20 years ago, and will be more expensive 10-20 years from now. To say we aren't that big of a city, we have a terrible traffic problem, and it will only get worse. I guess I do mean a bypass.
Even still, a bridge crossing in the Addis/Plaquemine area is still needed. It would likely keep many people from moving to neighboring Ascension and Livingston Parish, helping to more evenly distribute commuters and keep employees closer to job centers.

Just curious. Do you drive through the area much?
What exactly is making it more expensive as time passes, besides inflation? It seems a northern half loop wouldn't be that expensive, could use a lot of the existing infrastructure, maybe even airline highway. A new bridge would also help make Baton Rouge even more sprawly, there is still a ton of undeveloped land already on the BR side of the river.

No, not really much. When I pass through on I-10 I typically don't hit any traffic. Went to LSU for a year not too long ago, lived on campus, didn't really explore the city too much and didn't have a car but traffic did get bad around the campus and south of there. One time it seemed like it took an hour to get to I-10 from Campus, mostly spent around the intersection of College drive and Perkins Road. Leaving campus on a Friday afternoon to go home was always the worse.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 06-22-2014 at 10:52 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
It really sounds like Baton Rouge is the one with the problems, not so much the rest of the state. I agreed that Baton Rouge has horrendous traffic and something should be done with that, but this bridge is not one of the real priorities to fix it nor would it really fix anything that is that important.
Lafayette has traffic issues, and New Orleans is far from perfect as far as infrastructure goes.
How are you so sure?

Quote:
Just questioning your logic, don't get so bent out of shape. And yet all those cities still have horrendous traffic problems too. Aren't you the one that is always against expanded interstates?
I'm not advocating sprawl nearly to the extent of Houston or Dallas but at least when they build, they build for the future. The entire span of I-10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans should be widened in my opinion. Or the extended WB Expressway could solve that issue. I am generally against the idea that widening will solve every traffic problem, however I don't think the I-10 project was the smartest investment.

Quote:
What exactly is making it more expensive as time passes, besides inflation? It seems a northern half loop wouldn't be that expensive, could use a lot of the existing infrastructure, maybe even airline highway. A new bridge would also help make Baton Rouge even more sprawly, there is still a ton of undeveloped land already on the BR side of the river.
Having to purchase more land, having to deal with new developments in the way, etc. Airline is an intercity highway and I don't think it should be used as any sort of loop, outside of the 190 bridge. There is a lot of land in the SW part of the parish, and investment in the form of public and private spurs growth.

Quote:
No, not really much. When I pass through on I-10 I typically don't hit any traffic. Went to LSU for a year not too long ago, lived on campus, didn't really explore the city too much and didn't have a car but traffic did get bad around the campus and south of there. One time it seemed like it took an hour to get to I-10 from Campus, mostly spent around the intersection of College drive and Perkins Road. Leaving campus on a Friday afternoon to go home was always the worse.
So how are you able to criticize my opinions? It's about as bizarre as me talking about other places I don't know much about.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Lafayette has traffic issues, and New Orleans is far from perfect as far as infrastructure goes.
How are you so sure?
Every city in this country (and likely the world for that matter) has traffic issues and could use infrastructure improvements but that's not really my point. Baton Rouge is the one with the serious problems not so much the other Louisiana cities. This bridge definitely won't solve any problem unless you do combine it with a bypass/loop. That's obvious by just looking at a what is on the other side of the river and the daily bridge traffic of the current bridges, sure it would have some use but it is hardly some direly needed improvement.

Quote:
I'm not advocating sprawl nearly to the extent of Houston or Dallas but at least when they build, they build for the future. The entire span of I-10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans should be widened in my opinion. Or the extended WB Expressway could solve that issue. I am generally against the idea that widening will solve every traffic problem, however I don't think the I-10 project was the smartest investment.
Well and they are growing much faster, are 8+ times the size of Baton Rouge, and have less geographical constraints, which can make it all a difficult comparison but, yes, they do have a crazy amount of interstates.

Quote:
Having to purchase more land, having to deal with new developments in the way, etc. Airline is an intercity highway and I don't think it should be used as any sort of loop, outside of the 190 bridge. There is a lot of land in the SW part of the parish, and investment in the form of public and private spurs growth.
I guess that would make the price increase but it doesn't seem like it would be that dramatic of a difference.

Quote:
So how are you able to criticize my opinions? It's about as bizarre as me talking about other places I don't know much about.
I have actually lived, passed through, and visited Baton Rouge, so no it is not that bizarre but you can criticize that all you want. All I have really talked about related to Baton Rouge is the loop and this bridge, it is not difficult for an "outsider" to get an understanding on those things. I’m talking about two specific things that are located 80 miles from where I live, you were talking about whole states road networks located 300+ miles away, quite different in my opinion.

Whew, this keeps going on and on. My only point from the beginning was that the road infrastructure is really not that bad in Louisiana, for the most part it is Baton Rouge by far with the worst traffic and supposed infrastructure problems. I'm sure other Louisiana cities could use improvements, just like every city in the country, but that's not really the point. People in every state have these grand schemes they want accomplished and Louisiana is no worse than the average one. You keep complaining about all this and saying how frustrated it makes you but I just don't buy it. Most of the things you speak of are really not that bad, sure they would have some merit, but again not that big of a problem. I mean we obviously just have diverging opinions on these things, I am not trying to crap on you own views, just trying to show my own view to all this too.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Every city in this country (and likely the world for that matter) has traffic issues and could use infrastructure improvements but that's not really my point. Baton Rouge is the one with the serious problems not so much the other Louisiana cities. This bridge definitely won't solve any problem unless you do combine it with a bypass/loop. That's obvious by just looking at a what is on the other side of the river and the daily bridge traffic of the current bridges, sure it would have some use but it is hardly some direly needed improvement.
You didn't even have a car when you lived here and admitted you didn't explore the city. I appreciate your opinion and this argument, but I don't think you can adequately make that assessment.

Quote:
Well and they are growing much faster, are 8+ times the size of Baton Rouge, and have less geographical constraints, which can make it all a difficult comparison but, yes, they do have a crazy amount of interstates.
They have begun construction of the Grand Parkway, Houston's 3rd loop. I'm not asking for anything like this but for better than what we have. Even though Houston is much much larger, they don't need all that continuation of sprawl.

Quote:
I guess that would make the price increase but it doesn't seem like it would be that dramatic of a difference.
In 20 years it probably will be.

Quote:
I have actually lived, passed through, and visited Baton Rouge, so no it is not that bizarre but you can criticize that all you want. All I have really talked about related to Baton Rouge is the loop and this bridge, it is not difficult for an "outsider" to get an understanding on those things. I’m talking about two specific things that are located 80 miles from where I live, you were talking about whole states road networks located 300+ miles away, quite different in my opinion.
But you didn't drive, you didn't drive around the city (according to you), and you stayed around the LSU area I assume. I made a broad generalization about the quality of their freeway network, that's it. I really don't think you are able to come to a logical conclusion on our traffic if you don't drive here often. Doesn't seem that you have experience of the congestion issues of south Baton Rouge compared to our inner city.

Quote:
Whew, this keeps going on and on. My only point from the beginning was that the road infrastructure is really not that bad in Louisiana, for the most part it is Baton Rouge by far with the worst traffic and supposed infrastructure problems. I'm sure other Louisiana cities could use improvements, just like every city in the country, but that's not really the point. People in every state have these grand schemes they want accomplished and Louisiana is no worse than the average one. You keep complaining about all this and saying how frustrated it makes you but I just don't buy it. Most of the things you speak of are really not that bad, sure they would have some merit, but again not that big of a problem. I mean we obviously just have diverging opinions on these things, I am not trying to crap on you own views, just trying to show my own view to all this too.
Or maybe I have high standards. The roads in New Orleans are the worst I've ever seen. You don't buy that it frustrates me? Well it does, every day. Every time I get on the road I look at all the issues that could be fixed.
In Baton Rouge companies shy away due to our traffic, lack of connection, etc. So it actually does make an economic difference in Louisiana. You may not be used to having to deal with suburban planning living in New Orleans but we do, and it's a different story here.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
You didn't even have a car when you lived here and admitted you didn't explore the city. I appreciate your opinion and this argument, but I don't think you can adequately make that assessment.
It is painfully obvious that the other side of the river in the Baton Rouge area is barely populated or utilized and the most populated/utilized areas are already close to the current bridges. Even if I did have a car and explored every inch of the area, that area would have been passed up because there is no reason to go there. The same is likely true for most people in the Baton Rouge area. Now if you want that bridge to be combine with a loop or bypass, that's fine (even though where you want it is probably too far south to really be effective), but just the bridge by itself is not that big of a necessity.

Quote:
They have begun construction of the Grand Parkway, Houston's 3rd loop. I'm not asking for anything like this but for better than what we have. Even though Houston is much much larger, they don't need all that continuation of sprawl.
I can agree with all that.

Quote:
But you didn't drive, you didn't drive around the city (according to you), and you stayed around the LSU area I assume. I made a broad generalization about the quality of their freeway network, that's it. I really don't think you are able to come to a logical conclusion on our traffic if you don't drive here often. Doesn't seem that you have experience of the congestion issues of south Baton Rouge compared to our inner city.
What much have I really said about the traffic issues in Baton Rouge, besides that it is bad? For the most part the big debate has been whether that bridge is needed and whether a loop should cross the river. I talked about traffic and road planning in South Baton Rouge and the general layout of Baton Rouge way earlier but you mostly seemed to agree with those points. Is there something I missed?

Quote:
Or maybe I have high standards. The roads in New Orleans are the worst I've ever seen. You don't buy that it frustrates me? Well it does, every day. Every time I get on the road I look at all the issues that could be fixed.
In Baton Rouge companies shy away due to our traffic, lack of connection, etc. So it actually does make an economic difference in Louisiana. You may not be used to having to deal with suburban planning living in New Orleans but we do, and it's a different story here.
Road condition was not in my mind when I wrote that but, yes, it is bad in New Orleans and definitely could use a lot of improvements (which is happening). Living in Baton Rouge I could see the traffic bothering you but you have been focusing heavily on things like that bridge which won't really solve that problem (unless combined with a bypass/loop which might help interstate congestion problems). The bridge thing just really does not seem like it is a big problem that deserves getting so frustrated over. We have barely even talked about the general traffic besides things related to the interstates, that bridge, and where exactly a loop/bypass should go. I just have a different mind set, I guess, those things don't really frustrate me, a lot of other things would frustrate me before something like that.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
It is painfully obvious that the other side of the river in the Baton Rouge area is barely populated or utilized and the most populated/utilized areas are already close to the current bridges. Even if I did have a car and explored every inch of the area, that area would have been passed up because there is no reason to go there. The same is likely true for most people in the Baton Rouge area. Now if you want that bridge to be combine with a loop or bypass, that's fine (even though where you want it is probably too far south to really be effective), but just the bridge by itself is not that big of a necessity.
Populated areas are not close to the bridges. And by that I mean the middle-upper middle class areas that are growing the fastest. There's no reason for you to go there but if you are familiar with the LA 1 and I-10 interchange, you would know thousands of people do. Well, my idea is to have the bridge connected to a loop.
I wouldn't want it far south, we have one of those already. I'd place it closer to Addis or Brusly than Plaquemine.

Quote:
What much have I really said about the traffic issues in Baton Rouge, besides that it is bad? For the most part the big debate has been whether that bridge is needed and whether a loop should cross the river. I talked about traffic and road planning in South Baton Rouge and the general layout of Baton Rouge way earlier but you mostly seemed to agree with those points. Is there something I missed?
Just doesn't seem like you understand, it's not really something you said but rather what you haven't said ().

Quote:
Road condition was not in my mind when I wrote that but, yes, it is bad in New Orleans and definitely could use a lot of improvements (which is happening). Living in Baton Rouge I could see the traffic bothering you but you have been focusing heavily on things like that bridge which won't really solve that problem (unless combined with a bypass/loop which might help interstate congestion problems). The bridge thing just really does not seem like it is a big problem that deserves getting so frustrated over. We have barely even talked about the general traffic besides things related to the interstates, that bridge, and where exactly a loop/bypass should go. I just have a different mind set, I guess, those things don't really frustrate me, a lot of other things would frustrate me before something like that.
There are a couple main issues with traffic here, I believe one stems from lack of strategically placed freeway miles.
Sorry I wasn't specific when speaking of the bridge, it would be tied into I-10 on both sides of the river vie some sort of freeway.
As far as surface roads go, I could go on and on. I frequently look at maps and imagine new roads and new extensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana