Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:16 PM

92 posts, read 468,143 times

Advertisements

May be relocating to Alexandria. No one posted that area as a nice place to relocate to in someone else's thread asking where are LA's nicest towns to relocate to. Why? Is it expensive? too hot and muggy? ugly? too small with nothing to do??? Also, I have heard that LA's home insurance is out of this world expensive-where are the best rates???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 03:05 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,352,770 times
I believe that the poster of the thread that you're talking about was asking for the best places to live specifically in southern Louisiana. Alexandria is in central Louisiana. I would consider Alexandria a decent place to live in. It's an average sized city with about 130,000 in its metro area. The economy is growing. Alexandria has a number of stores, restaurants, a mall, a zoo, minor league baseball, and plenty of outdoor recreation nearby. The downtown area is somewhat rundown but still has potential. The cost of living in Alexandria is low for the most part although utilities are a bit high. Crime is mostly concentrated in the eastern side of Alexandria. Other areas are mostly safe.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:01 PM

92 posts, read 468,143 times
Default alexandria insurance

well, it sounds okay... but what about that HO insurance question?

Old 12-22-2007, 02:46 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbayle View Post
well, it sounds okay... but what about that HO insurance question?
I think there's a big difference in homeowners rates once you get north of I-10. And Alexandria is 80 miles north of Lafayette on I-49. So I would expect their rates are significantly less.

South of I-10 (especially in NO and along the coast), rates are very high and/or you have to go with Citizens to get coverage.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,352,770 times
Insurance rates are still high in central and north Louisiana but yes, they are lower than the rates south of I-10.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:15 AM

78 posts, read 930,328 times
My husband, who lived there for five years, calls Alexandria "the armpit of Louisiana". Hope this clears it up for you. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:48 AM

768 posts, read 4,386,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldunn1001 View Post
My husband, who lived there for five years, calls Alexandria "the armpit of Louisiana". Hope this clears it up for you. Good luck.
Come on now... I know I saw in another thread recently where you said you live in West Monroe. Your husband can't possibly think any worse of Alexandria than Monroe-West Monroe. The air in Monroe at times actually smells like an armpit, and I've never experienced that while in Alexandria.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Come on now... I know I saw in another thread recently where you said you live in West Monroe. Your husband can't possibly think any worse of Alexandria than Monroe-West Monroe. The air in Monroe at times actually smells like an armpit, and I've never experienced that while in Alexandria.
Unless you get a norther - there is a paper mill in Pineville where the locals have learned to accept the creosote smell.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:09 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Unless you get a norther - there is a paper mill in Pineville where the locals have learned to accept the creosote smell.
So they're both armpits. Nah I don't believe that, really.

Actually I can take the creosote smell. I didn't realize paper mills smelled like creosote. Bossier City doesn't have that smell anymore but it once did from creosote plants, and I grew up with it over there. But that other chemical smell you get from a paper mill... the one that smells like a butt or a really bad armpit... that one is bad. Texarkana has paper mills to the north and to the west, so they get it pretty bad. I've smelled it in Monroe on many occasions as well.

We had the putrid smell of a dog food plant in Shreveport until last year (hence the reason I don't like to call any other city the "armpit" of anything) but the city forced it out of business. You literally couldn't walk around downtown Shreveport without smelling it, and there's far too much money invested in tourism on the riverfront area to allow it to continue. So it closed a few months ago and it's smelled so much nicer since.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
So they're both armpits. Nah I don't believe that, really.

Actually I can take the creosote smell. I didn't realize paper mills smelled like creosote. Bossier City doesn't have that smell anymore but it once did from creosote plants, and I grew up with it over there. But that other chemical smell you get from a paper mill... the one that smells like a butt or a really bad armpit... that one is bad. Texarkana has paper mills to the north and to the west, so they get it pretty bad. I've smelled it in Monroe on many occasions as well.

We had the putrid smell of a dog food plant in Shreveport until last year (hence the reason I don't like to call any other city the "armpit" of anything) but the city forced it out of business. You literally couldn't walk around downtown Shreveport without smelling it, and there's far too much money invested in tourism on the riverfront area to allow it to continue. So it closed a few months ago and it's smelled so much nicer since.
Isn't there still a refinery near downtown/the Independence Bowl ? I remember seeing one on the way to the Independence Bowl years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana