Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:37 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,326,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is how I feel. I'm scared to stay and risk it. But everytime a festival comes up I think "I love this place!" and it makes me want to stay home.

This is south Louisiana, we don't eat traditional southern food as much. Many of our dishes can be quite healthy. You obviously haven't been around here much.

Texas does recognize with the south.
Louisiana also ranks higher up than many states in a few lists like potential, business, growth, etc.
Ya okay...

Best States for Business - Forbes

There's your business centric site, but hey you guys seem to like Forbes.
#40 huh? Guess it's not as great as you think, hell it's behind most of the states in the US!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101758236#.

Louisiana makes 40th again... congrats! At least you're consistent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 12:11 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,310,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Ya okay...

#40 huh? Guess it's not as great as you think, hell it's behind most of the states in the US!

America's Top States For Business.

So then explain why people are so miserable in so many places and states if its so nice? Maryland/DC area ranks very high in a ton of things yet I have never seen so many miserable people in one area. Louisiana is a special state with a very rich unique culture and identity. For those here, there is plenty of work, amazing food, an abundunce of music and character, and a strong appreciation of other cultures as well. Those of us here LOVE it here. Period.
its not for lack of ability to go elsewhere. I have 13 years of work experience and enough in the bank to move. I simply dont want to. Everything I could want is here. There is simply no other place that offers what Louisiana does as an entire package. Not one.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:21 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,185,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Ya okay...

America's Top States For Business.

For every list you can post, I can post another which is nearly opposite. The criteria is usually a joke.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:02 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,095,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
So then explain why people are so miserable in so many places and states if its so nice? Maryland/DC area ranks very high in a ton of things yet I have never seen so many miserable people in one area. Louisiana is a special state with a very rich unique culture and identity. For those here, there is plenty of work, amazing food, an abundunce of music and character, and a strong appreciation of other cultures as well. Those of us here LOVE it here. Period.
its not for lack of ability to go elsewhere. I have 13 years of work experience and enough in the bank to move. I simply dont want to. Everything I could want is here. There is simply no other place that offers what Louisiana does as an entire package. Not one.
Exactly. We moved from Louisiana to Tysons Corner to make more money than we could have possibly made if we stayed in the NOLA area. We made mostly good career and life decisions and now, almost 30-years later, we are moving back.

We know all the pros and cons on both sides. We've heard it all, and over the years have spent time in every southern coastal town looking for that magical place to retire.
Northern Virginia has the "best of everything" in all categories, but having been there-done that, we can't wait to move back to Slidell for good. We could never afford to retire where we are now.
We spent all last week in Slidell looking at homes on the water selling for what a condo goes for in Northern Virginia!

I have about 20-25 years left and I'll be spending it looking out at my Grady-White at my dock.
No other place in America could we afford to do this. Not to mention access to great food and truly genuine people.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:54 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,264,112 times
The "liberal" states that so many people admire have their own sets of problems.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
The "liberal" states that so many people admire have their own sets of problems.
That's why you need a balance. Too red and you have dirt poor Mississippi, too blue and you have California nanny state.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:03 AM

974 posts, read 2,178,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Louisiana also ranks higher up than many states in a few lists like potential, business, growth, etc.
Gawd... if I hear the word "potential" regarding my home state again, I think my head will explode. I've been hearing about "potential" for the past 30+ years and all I see is false-starts, stagnation, indifference, status-quo/reshuffling of the deck for politicos and cronies. And if what satisfies us is festivals, food & drink, huntin', fishin', etc.; we're never going to change. Fact is younger folks are leaving and that is killing the smaller towns and cities. There's more to Louisiana than New Orleans or Lafayette folks. And sorry but Lafayette has never tripped my trigger.

Stats show our stronger in-migration is retirees (just like one poster previously from Maryland / Viriginia). Retirees don't raise families, they don't really increase the tax base, they don't demand better schools for their kids, they demand more services than they support. If we don't grow a stronger, better-educated populace that wants to stay put, things won't improve and our "potential" will always be something aspirational rather than realized.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Gawd... if I hear the word "potential" regarding my home state again, I think my head will explode. I've been hearing about "potential" for the past 30+ years and all I see is false-starts, stagnation, indifference, status-quo/reshuffling of the deck for politicos and cronies. And if what satisfies us is festivals, food & drink, huntin', fishin', etc.; we're never going to change. Fact is younger folks are leaving and that is killing the smaller towns and cities. There's more to Louisiana than New Orleans or Lafayette folks. And sorry but Lafayette has never tripped my trigger.
Younger folks aren't moving to small towns anyway. But you are correct for the most part but there's alot going on down here along I-10 versus up there.
Quote:
Stats show our stronger in-migration is retirees (just like one poster previously from Maryland / Viriginia). Retirees don't raise families, they don't really increase the tax base, they don't demand better schools for their kids, they demand more services than they support. If we don't grow a stronger, better-educated populace that wants to stay put, things won't improve and our "potential" will always be something aspirational rather than realized.
While retiree's don't offer much at all for our economy, New Orleans is seeing an influx of young people who are willing to stay put. Baton Rouge and Lafayette have been doing good things for a while. I do share your concerns though, so I am prepared to go out of state.
I think we need to invest in our roads, bridges, and new freeways, as well as state-wide education reform. We need to invest in our higher education again, cuts aren't supposed to go to schools, that makes no sense.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,310,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post

Guess what Lafayette is doing RIGHT NOW?

Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM

19 posts, read 44,047 times
I don't live in LA but I do live in the South for just over a year. . I pulled this until I received a DM and decided I would rewrite my personal experiences. We have lived and traveled extensively. This may cause some flames but its my personal experiences. We intended to make the south our Permanent home that changed rather quickly. We were told prior to and after getting here by many people we would never be accepted because we were outsiders. I laughed at them we never had problems adapting anywhere. We were not southerners they told us we would not be fit in and be accepted. Depending on where you are from the distaste they have for you varies. Racism is a very ingrained part of society and its very subtle it exists on both sides before anyone get in a huff on that. Sexism is also alive and well in the Deep South as is the Good Ol' Boy Network. The more rural you are the less they want to see things change whether its technology or culture or just the way things are done. Why? Because, its the South they tell you.

Southern Hospitality is an interesting thing.. in these here parts Ma'am if you'se say Yes Sir or No Ma'am with a Bless your heart you can be as rude as you like otherwise and it still considered good manners. In retail, restaurants and many other service industries especially in more rural areas they act like its a big inconvenience for them to service you. If you don't have the southern accent the attitudes change almost immediately toward you.

Yes, its humid but weather was an easy adaptation for us. Being told to our faces we were not liked simply because of where we were from was another story even by those in professional fields. The lack of quality medical care in anything but the largest cities is scary. I have personally experienced HIPPA violations among other things. I have overheard Pharmacists discuss how they think its crazy to put drugs that METH is made from behind the counter and have them controlled. While watching Tweakers stand in line.

Recent reports tells of the worst states to live I can attest to this. In the South you have Tornados, Floods, and Snow that no one is prepared for even when they are given plenty of notice and the states go into shutdown due to poor government planning. Yes the Weathermen at CNN warned of Snowmeggedon only to watch a couple weeks later as another southern state followed suit.
The crime check city data on that don't let anyone fool you that it is less in the south than anywhere else ( those dreaded coasts) and some of the crimes or so horrendous they are sickening.

The lack of Education is very evident, sadly by poor speech patterns ( not that mine is great) lack of degrees. Many people in the rural areas of the South have never left the counties from which they live let alone the state. Driving through the rural areas reminds you of those old movies where it shows the poor south.

Lets talk about bugs and I mean big ones and poisonous as well there are lots as well as multiple poisonous spiders and snakes! If you like Fried Southern Food and lots of overly sugary foods loaded with salt things will be great.
Looking for healthy food except in the Largest cities good Luck.

Varieties of food? Even those have a Southern Flair...just don't expect the smaller towns to offer much more than edible food and good customer service is rare thing!

They do have some great things--- if you are a history buff the south is rife with historical sites... after awhile you can only visit so many historical houses though they all begin to look alike as do all the battlefields. The countryside is beautiful. I prefer to visit not live.

In Summary if you are a Duck Dynasty, fishing, hunting, bug-loving, lack of technology, poor grammar, lack of quality medical care, want things to always stay the same ( not in a good way i.e. racist/sexist) Enjoy Overly salted fried foods, then you will love the south.

Oh yes I have never seen so many flip phones since the iPhone came out.

As you can tell I do not like living in the South and it is the only place on the face of this planet I really dislike maybe even hate! We never experienced anything like living here and If we move and never come back it will be too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana