Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times

Advertisements

Yes, we "Southerners" (those who generally live south of I-10/12) have a different way of looking at things than the "Yankee Louisianians" do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times
^ Yep! South Louisiana folks view the world through beer goggles.

Just kidding! But seriously, I thought we were laid back up here... but down there they actually get to take time off work for Mardi Gras! We get to celebrate it and have parades, King Cakes, beer, crawfish and the rest of the experience, but we don't get a holiday from work for it. That would be great. But these damn yankees running companies up here don't believe in taking time off to have fun I guess.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
^ Yep! South Louisiana folks view the world through beer goggles.

Just kidding! But seriously, I thought we were laid back up here... but down there they actually get to take time off work for Mardi Gras! We get to celebrate it and have parades, King Cakes, beer, crawfish and the rest of the experience, but we don't get a holiday from work for it. That would be great. But these damn yankees running companies up here don't believe in taking time off to have fun I guess.
I know some "Northerners" who once told me that "up here, we think everyone in South Louisiana is a drunk."

But, hey, that is what makes our state so puzzling to outsiders. And very misunderstood.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:42 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
Actually we get 2 days off for Mardi Gras (including Mardi Gras day and Luni Gras).

Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
With this new governor, we'll be lucky to get one. Sounds like he's ready to crack down on a few things.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
Well that's state government. I work for a corporation. I voted for Jindal but he doesn't control anything having to do with Mardi Gras or the holidays we get.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 PM

420 posts, read 479,185 times
Wow, Lol Sbc, Im Just Saying, Shreveport Colleges Are Small, Dont Exactly Have The Real Atmosphere Of Most "real College". I'd Call Them Specialty Colleges Cuz They Really Speciallize In Specific Majors And Cater To The Area Of Shreveport. I Went Yo Bpcc For A Semester But I Wanted The Complete University Atmosphere. I Couldn't Exactly Do That There, Most Of The People Who Go To Those Colleges Are From There, With The Exception Of Centenery(a Very, Very Good School) But The Environment, Broadmoar? Highland? Lets Be Honest, Not Anywhere Miss Yankee Wants To Walk Around. Im Not Picking Monroe, Because Its My Hometown I Feel Like Its The Best Fit For You Based On Your Statements. As Far As Welcoming You, Girl Please, This Is The South, Southern Hospitality. Quick Fun Fact Though: North Louisiana = Country Culture, South Louisiana = Cajun, Creole, And Old African Culture!!! Check Out Cypress Point Neighborhood, And The Garden District In Monroe You'll Love It, Close To Black Bayou & Wildlife Refuge, An Absolutely Gorgeous Place To Absorb What Louisiana Is All About!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 PM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
All I can say is WOW!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
But The Environment, Broadmoar? Highland? Lets Be Honest, Not Anywhere Miss Yankee Wants To Walk Around.
Well, since we're being honest, let me correct one half of your statement. Some parts of Highland are unsafe, but Broadmoor is one of the safest neighborhoods in Shreveport-Bossier. It's on par with many Bossier neighborhoods as far as safety is concerned and has held up quite well over the years. Most neighborhoods in Shreveport that are as old as Broadmoor, or older, are extremely high-crime areas. Broadmoor is undoubtedly the exception.

Southern University at Shreveport has a bit of the "university" feel with the exception of a university-related shopping district. It's a rather small campus but it does include dorms and does have a decent atmosphere. Their downtown campus is nice as well and I love the name: Southern University Metro Center. It has a very progressive sound to it.

But I agree with you... overall Centenary is the only college campus here with a true "campus" feel. This is going to change, though. The small town of Ruston isn't going to know what hit it once Louisiana Tech and LSU get their plan together and finally give Shreveport-Bossier a full-fledged university. It's only a matter of time, and yes, the plan has been discussed publicly over the past 3-4 years.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 13,513 times
ok, here is the LA skinny. Of the 3 major cities (new orleans, baton rouge, and shreveport), shreveport has the lowest crime statistics...BY FAR! and, unless you are a young black male living in certain parts of town, crime is not an issue, for the most part. Shreveport, however, only has two universities, LSUS, which i hear is pretty darn hard, and Centenary, a private liberal arts college ranked in the top 25 of small schools in the nation. Louisiana Tech, in Ruston, in only 65 miles from Shreveport and is a great school. It specializes in engeneering and architecture. Baton Rouge has LSU, which is a great school, but the town has alot of Katrina "fugees" and from what I have heard is not a great place, sure, plenty of restaurants and such, but the traffic is a nightmare and it is flanked with giant petrochemical plants spewing toxins in the air...New Orleans was a at one point a WORLD class city, but is a currently a sess pool, crime is through the roof and nagin has gotten exactly what he wanted...he gots his chocolate city back, complete with all the decay that comes from too much chocolate. Lafayette is a great town, kinda a party town and everyone seems to love it. it is one of the few places in LA that most anyone you ask about it, says they LOVE it...it really depends on what you studying that should be your major determining factor...however, from a natives perspective, i would rank the top 5 cities in LA based on overall cleanliness, entertainment, crime and liveability as follows:
1) Lafayette
2) Shreveport/Bossier
3) Baton Rouge
4) New Orleans
5) Monroe (yikes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana