Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 AM

661 posts, read 1,247,530 times

Advertisements

My observation of the show is that men are expected to be fat, ugly, and sloppy while the women are expected to be pretty. Is this a southern thing? How do those "pretty" women tolerate such filth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It seems like every part of America is like Duck Dynasty outside of cities. I haven't seen the show much but people act think and dress like that in Hammond, Livingston Parish, Ascension Parish, etc. Of course it's different if you're in downtown Lafayette or on LSU campus or strolling through Audubon Park.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:16 AM

136 posts, read 200,192 times
Have you seen them without the beards! Each of the brothers is HOT. Very very good looking men. The beards used to be for hunting season only and because of the show, they wear them year round right now.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:21 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
My observation of the show is that men are expected to be fat, ugly, and sloppy while the women are expected to be pretty. Is this a southern thing? How do those "pretty" women tolerate such filth?
Probably the women would like them to clean up. I hear similar stories about women whose hubs look less than appealing to them but this seems to be what a lot of marriages here are based on- hub does what he wants and to heck with his wife. So much for the 50/50 partnership

Old 12-27-2014, 01:32 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
You're watching a television show, that is fake, and makes money. You can't believe what you see on media outlets.
Those men never wore those beards before the filming.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001

Old 12-28-2014, 04:02 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,380 times
There is also a huge rural-suburban-urban gap in Louisiana, just as there is in the USA in general. In fact, I go so far as to largely (but not completely) abandon the notion of North-South-Midwest-Mountain West- West Coast. Minneapolis probably has more in common with Atlanta than with Cleveland; likewise Seattle, Austin, and Durham have more in common with each other than the do the rest of their respective home states. Two or three generations of mass media has pretty much leveled out our culture so much that I find looking at states or even regions shallow at best.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:01 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,415 times
Default is the vibe in Louisiana like being in Duck Dynasty?

OP, since you seem to judge folks by what you see on TV, I have a piece of advice for you. Sell the TV and use the money to do some traveling around the country.

Louisiana , like every other state has a mixture of cultures. Generally speaking, Northern Louisiana is considered red-neck country. The southern part is considered Cajun country. The middle, a mixture of both. My wife was born and raised in the northern part but cooks like she was from the southern part and has a very heavy southern accent, but not a Cajun accent. I call her my pigeon-toed, bow-legged, cross-eyed, red-neck, love-puppy and she loves it. I can't say what she calls me.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:22 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
There is also a huge rural-suburban-urban gap in Louisiana, just as there is in the USA in general. In fact, I go so far as to largely (but not completely) abandon the notion of North-South-Midwest-Mountain West- West Coast. Minneapolis probably has more in common with Atlanta than with Cleveland; likewise Seattle, Austin, and Durham have more in common with each other than the do the rest of their respective home states. Two or three generations of mass media has pretty much leveled out our culture so much that I find looking at states or even regions shallow at best.
Cleveland? Probably has little in common with Athens, GA but Cleveland? Still a big metro like Minny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
OP, since you seem to judge folks by what you see on TV, I have a piece of advice for you. Sell the TV and use the money to do some traveling around the country.

Louisiana , like every other state has a mixture of cultures. Generally speaking, Northern Louisiana is considered red-neck country. The southern part is considered Cajun country. The middle, a mixture of both. My wife was born and raised in the northern part but cooks like she was from the southern part and has a very heavy southern accent, but not a Cajun accent. I call her my pigeon-toed, bow-legged, cross-eyed, red-neck, love-puppy and she loves it. I can't say what she calls me.
The middle (central LA) is considered north LA by us. Opelousas get's a pass. Not everyone down here has a Cajun accent.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:49 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Cleveland? Probably has little in common with Athens, GA but Cleveland? Still a big metro like Minny.

The middle (central LA) is considered north LA by us. Opelousas get's a pass. Not everyone down here has a Cajun accent.
I said Atlanta, not Athens. As for Cleveland itself, not all big metros are the same. Cleveland, being part of the old heavy industry belt, undoubtedly has strong blue-collar airs about it. Minneapolis, from all I've read and heard, has more of a white-collar air, and even a fair bit of high tech. Probably, it's the #1 big city in the Midwest in a lot of categories, in some cases even beating out Chicago. Certainly it's pretty consistently rated at #1 in Middle America in most quality of life categories.

Atlanta may still fall a bit below #1, but I'm still willing to say that MSP has more in common with it than with Cleveland.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 AM

661 posts, read 1,247,530 times
well behaviors on TV sometimes ring true in real life. I was just curious if Duck Dynasty is more north LA than south I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post

Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,415 times
Quote:
well behaviors on TV sometimes ring true in real life. I was just curious if Duck Dynasty is more north LA than south I guess.
Of course. Duck Dynasty is filmed in the Monroe area. You can't get too much farther north than that. If you did you'd be in south Arkansas and that's another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana