Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:07 PM

12 posts, read 19,480 times

Advertisements

The Lake Charles I-10 bridge may be scary to you. I would recommend taking the I-210 bridge instead. It is less scary and not as steep and in better condition. It is a little bit longer but not as steep and "looking over the edge" scary, at least in my opinion. And I-210 just meets back up with I-10 on the other end. It would only be about 15-20 minutes out of your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:20 PM

12 posts, read 18,312 times
Thank you guys, i sure do appreciate it.. looks like it's going to be hard to get around those bridges. I really don't mind driving way out of the way to avoid the bridges. Also was looking into hiring someone to drive me across the Louisiana bridges. From what I can remember, Alabama didn't have any, the FL panhandle didn't have any, not sure about I-10 on Missisippii and through Texas though.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:44 AM

3,087 posts, read 3,211,796 times
When you get to Lake Charles you could take I-210 you still have to cross a tall bridge prior to getting back on I-10 but its not as steep.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:07 PM

804 posts, read 1,070,022 times
honestly the lake Charles bridge is so narrow and dangerous you wont have much time to be looking over the edge. just keep your eyes on the vehicle infront of you. Maybe try to get behind an 18 wheeler so you cant see much going back down?

Old 03-29-2015, 09:32 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,533,026 times
I have the same fear of tall bridges that you do. I grew up in Lake Charles, and I've travelled to New Orleans from Lake Charles, and back, a time of two. I've been on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge that goes to Baton Rouge.

The Atchafalaya "bridge" is actually flat, as I recall. It gave me no trouble at all. It's so wide and flat that I forgot I was on a "bridge." It's basically a really long, long highway.

There is a bridge that goes to New Orleans that gave me a lot of trouble. I think it crosses the Lake Pontchartrain? It is tall. REALLY tall. The first time I got to that bridge, I was in a small Datsun, and I was by myself. No one had warned me. As soon as I saw that bridge, it loomed before me to a height that I had never seen before in a bridge. My heart starting beating fast, and I wondered if my weak powered car would even make it to the top. I had to pull over to the shoulder and decide what to do. I was so scared, you wouldn't believe. But I decided to go on, because I didn't know an alternate way. I approached and started climbing the bridge. And climbing. And climbing. My little car slowed down with the strain on the engine. Cars passed me by. My car got slower as I got higher and higher. I cannot exaggerate how tall that bridge was. Imagine standing on shore and looking at a huge ship. That's how tall that bridge is. I am positive that some vehicles would not be able to make it over. There should be a warning sign in advance of the bridge. That's how tall it is. I was afraid I'd start sliding back down, backwards. Finally, the breath I had been holding began to exhale as I reached the peak. I had made it. Now all I had to do was get down safely, which I was very worried about and scared of, too. I finally got down, and vowed never to cross that bridge again. It's so tall so that ships can pass underneath. SO DON'T GO ON THAT BRIDGE.

The I-10 bridge in Lake Charles. My heart does give a little flutter, and my hands grip the steering wheel too tightly when I cross that bridge. But it's really not bad. It's just my phobia. But it is a little steep. If you have a good car, though, so you don't have to worry about engine strain, it should be no problem. But I've crossed that bridge a lot of times, so I'm used to it. I usually do what another poster suggested, which is keep my eyes on the vehicle in front of me, and don't look to the side. The GOOD thing about the I-10 bridge is that it's not that long, so there's not a lot of bridge to cross.

I-210 ALSO gives me concern, but as others have said, it's not nearly as steep. The I-210 bridge curves over a wide area, and is over water that is not a ship transport area, so it doesn't have to be that tall. Just stay to the right and go the speed you feel comfortable going, and that bridge should be fine.

I sympathize with your tall bridge fear. It can be a real problem, when you travel. Let us know how it goes, or how it went, if you've already gone.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,309,715 times
I think you might be referring to the crescent city connection over the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana