U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 01:02 AM

14,796 posts, read 21,545,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
As much as I love our state I do have to admit one thing that differentiates us from many other states is the amount of crime and ghettoness that exists even in smaller cities and towns. For example, Alexandria is filled with thugs and gangsters while a city of its size in a state like Tennessee or Ohio or Virginia would be totally safe and filled with God fearing, hardworking salt of the Earth people. Even smaller towns like Clinton, Independence and Amite City have people that act and dress in a very ghetto fashion and who follow the culture and fashions of Chicago and Baltimore rather than that of the rural South. Clinton feels more like a rap video than a country song despite its rural setting. The influence from national hip hop and gangster culture now permeates many small towns and smaller cities in Louisiana.
Have you ever been to Ohio?
Are you mad that black people don't dress like you want us to?
Do you have any grasp of history in this country in the context of the minority populations? (Besides Scots-Irish)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 01:14 AM

4,345 posts, read 1,706,104 times
Louisiana’s at least interesting because it incorporates some Napoleanic code in its legal structure. Is it the worst? No, I don’t care for Louisiana. Heavy state patrols, not that friendly. But it’s also unique, and not a crappy part of our economy (oil). They also grow some interesting crops, like sugar cane. Like any large country, it’s an area with pluses and minuses. We’d probably like it more if it had good Gulf frontage like Galveston or the Emerald Coast.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:19 PM

9,156 posts, read 13,517,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Louisiana’s at least interesting because it incorporates some Napoleanic code in its legal structure. Is it the worst? No, I don’t care for Louisiana. Heavy state patrols, not that friendly. But it’s also unique, and not a crappy part of our economy (oil). They also grow some interesting crops, like sugar cane. Like any large country, it’s an area with pluses and minuses. We’d probably like it more if it had good Gulf frontage like Galveston or the Emerald Coast.
The oil industry is one of our strengths. Baton Rouge has a truly diverse economy where there are both white collar jobs with LSU and well paying blue collar jobs that the Rust Belt can only dream of. Many people are able to make a good living without going to college which is less common in many parts of the nation now.

Yes our beaches aren't that good because of the sediment from the Mississippi River but Pensacola is only 3 and a half hours from where I live in Denham Springs. Gulf Shores is also decent. Very few people nationwide live within 3.5 hours of a beach as nice as Pensacola. I'd say that the Florida Panhandle beaches are better than any beach in the Northeast, the Carolinas or Georgia.

As for Louisiana beaches, one hidden gem is White Sand Lake near Franklinton with very clear fresh water, almost like mountain lakes in West Virginia. Indian Creek Lake and Kincaid Lake in central Louisiana also have nice beaches that beat Louisiana's gulf beaches. If you have a boat, the Lake Maurepas sandbar is always a blast, it can only be reached by boat.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:27 PM

4,345 posts, read 1,706,104 times
Quote:
The oil industry is one of our strengths. Baton Rouge has a truly diverse economy where there are both white collar jobs with LSU and well paying blue collar jobs that the Rust Belt can only dream of. Many people are able to make a good living without going to college which is less common in many parts of the nation now.

Yes our beaches aren't that good because of the sediment from the Mississippi River but Pensacola is only 3 and a half hours from where I live in Denham Springs. Gulf Shores is also decent. Very few people nationwide live within 3.5 hours of a beach as nice as Pensacola. I'd say that the Florida Panhandle beaches are better than any beach in the Northeast, the Carolinas or Georgia.

As for Louisiana beaches, one hidden gem is White Sand Lake near Franklinton with very clear fresh water, almost like mountain lakes in West Virginia. Indian Creek Lake and Kincaid Lake in central Louisiana also have nice beaches that beat Louisiana's gulf beaches. If you have a boat, the Lake Maurepas sandbar is always a blast, it can only be reached by boat.
Cool stuff, thanks! I’ve always felt like there’s a lot to Louisiana that I’ve never cracked into. I don’t think LA ever advertised itself well or enough. Unfortunately as a trucker, the vast majority of what I interact with there is the not-so-good stuff.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:40 AM

Baton Rouge does not have a diverse economy. People there make tons of money without a degree? The guy has never been north of Florida Blvd.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Baton Rouge does not have a diverse economy. People there make tons of money without a degree? The guy has never been north of Florida Blvd.
Think about all the well paying jobs in the plants, not just in BR itself but the metro area, like ExxonMobil, Shintech, Plaquemine, BSAF in Geismar, etc. People in Rust Belt cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Baltimore can only dream of stuff like that. Many "hip" cities like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Washington DC, etc don't have any well paying jobs for people who don't go to college, like we have in the plants in this area. Work in offshore drilling and the pipelines also pays very well.

Some of my best friends work in the plants in Plaquemine and Geismar.

Before returning to Louisiana, I lived in Maryland and West Virginia. I lived in Baltimore County, Maryland where the steel mills and car factories are all permanently closed because of unfair trade and government overregulation. I lived in southern West Virginia where the coal industry has suffered tremendously in the last decade and blue collar jobs are being lost at an alarming rate. I've been to the heart of the Rust Belt in Ohio. Compared to that, the Baton Rouge region is truly blessed to have the kind of economy we do.

Of course there's poverty in North BR, but every city has areas like that. Many people in that area are unqualified for work, which has nothing to do with the economy. That's why sometimes the plants even have to bring in out of state people to work.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:47 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,983,281 times
Louisiana has some great stuff like its food and cultural heritage.

Its economy stinks and the hurricanes destroy everything along the coast every 10-15 years.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:52 PM

2,894 posts, read 7,119,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Louisiana has some great stuff like its food and cultural heritage.

Its economy stinks and the hurricanes destroy everything along the coast every 10-15 years.
And we know this! Louisiana will never be anything more than it is already. It's declining. Shame.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Think about all the well paying jobs in the plants, not just in BR itself but the metro area, like ExxonMobil, Shintech, Plaquemine, BSAF in Geismar, etc. People in Rust Belt cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Baltimore can only dream of stuff like that. Many "hip" cities like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Washington DC, etc don't have any well paying jobs for people who don't go to college, like we have in the plants in this area. Work in offshore drilling and the pipelines also pays very well.

Some of my best friends work in the plants in Plaquemine and Geismar.

Before returning to Louisiana, I lived in Maryland and West Virginia. I lived in Baltimore County, Maryland where the steel mills and car factories are all permanently closed because of unfair trade and government overregulation. I lived in southern West Virginia where the coal industry has suffered tremendously in the last decade and blue collar jobs are being lost at an alarming rate. I've been to the heart of the Rust Belt in Ohio. Compared to that, the Baton Rouge region is truly blessed to have the kind of economy we do.

Of course there's poverty in North BR, but every city has areas like that. Many people in that area are unqualified for work, which has nothing to do with the economy. That's why sometimes the plants even have to bring in out of state people to work.
My best friend has been in that industry since after high school. I'm familiar with the money he makes and all the traveling he does.

So if these jobs are so great for the economy, why is Louisiana so poor and Washington isn't? I would consider Denver to be hip and there's not nearly as much poverty here. There is no north Baton Rouge or 70805 here or in Seattle, Portland, Charlotte, etc.
Are you insinuating that rust belt and other states don't have well paying blue-collar jobs? You do know that plants aren't the only industry that can provide those job opportunities.

Every city absolutely doesn't have a North Baton Rouge segregated like it is.

So are you saying that there are jobs for these people but they just go unfilled? How many people do you know live in north BR? How does Baton Rouge function with 75,000 unfilled high paying jobs?
They bring in people from out of state because many reasons, including using undocumented workers to pay less and undercut Americans.

And if you're a city that can't properly educate it's population, you're a failure of a government.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
My best friend has been in that industry since after high school. I'm familiar with the money he makes and all the traveling he does.

So if these jobs are so great for the economy, why is Louisiana so poor and Washington isn't? I would consider Denver to be hip and there's not nearly as much poverty here. There is no north Baton Rouge or 70805 here or in Seattle, Portland, Charlotte, etc.
Are you insinuating that rust belt and other states don't have well paying blue-collar jobs? You do know that plants aren't the only industry that can provide those job opportunities.

Every city absolutely doesn't have a North Baton Rouge segregated like it is.

So are you saying that there are jobs for these people but they just go unfilled? How many people do you know live in north BR? How does Baton Rouge function with 75,000 unfilled high paying jobs?
They bring in people from out of state because many reasons, including using undocumented workers to pay less and undercut Americans.

And if you're a city that can't properly educate it's population, you're a failure of a government.
I'm actually not in the city of BR itself, just the metro area. I live in Livingston Parish where we have an excellent school system, as does Ascension Parish. There are also many good private schools in Baton Rouge itself too and many good charter schools. Denham Springs has an excellent quality of life, the only issue being overdevelopment which is why I just bought a house in a more rural part of LP. The cost of living in this area is also very reasonable compared to places like Seattle. The Northshore is also an excellent area with great public schools, low crime, etc , especially Covington and Mandeville and that is more affordable than the Seattle or DC suburbs.

Seattle and Washington DC does NOT have the kind of economy that BR does. If you are a high school graduate in Seattle or DC and you don't go to college, the most high paying job you can get is probably in the restaurant industry. Besides there you just have poverty level jobs like housekeeping, lawn care, etc. So South Louisiana in general benefits from the industrial plants we have here. There are more options for people who don't go to college. Many of the factories in the Rust Belt are now closed because of government overrgualtion and unfair trade agreements, hence the term itself. Baton Rouge is probably what Pittsburgh was like when they still made steel there.

You can't compare newer cities like Denver. Louisiana is historic and well established and we have had a black underclass since the days of slavery. In a city like Denver, people wouldn't move there unless they already have a job. North Baton Rouge isn't even THAT bad compared to places like Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Chicago, Cleveland, St. Louis or Detroit. Most of Baltimore is a Third World city the feels like a war zone. Whenever my friends from here travel to places like there, Chicago, etc they're shocked by the crime and poverty.

I've lived many years in Maryland and I am VERY GLAD to be back in Louisiana now and don't intend to leave the state again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana