Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:09 PM

518 posts, read 871,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
What turned me off of Louisiana was the tv show with Billy the Exterminator.
They've got crazy amounts of insects, snakes and etc. that we don't have in Massachusetts.
I suppose most southern, humid states have the same vexation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
There are tons of bugs and snakes in the rural areas for sure. But the populated areas have half the problem. In all my years in Louisiana, I've never seen a snake in the wild. Moved to Charlotte, NC and saw a copperhead on my walk in a populated area within one month.
So pretty much rural areas all over the state have tons of pests to deal with? That show was in the far nothern part of Lousiana- the Shreveport area. Some pests and bugs are normal and natural in rural areas but there was a staggering array critters on that show....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 06:17 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Louisiana is on my list of possible move to's. I love to hunt and fish!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:21 PM

518 posts, read 871,687 times
I've been looking into it also. I'm not into hunting but I find it to be an interesting state from what I read. I don't think any state in the south can be the worst.... there are too many ugly, boring, and frozen tundra states elsewhere with limited culture and other redeeming qualities.

A ranking I read recently claimed it had the lowest property tax in the entire country. And if that's not accurate, I'm sure it's close to the lowest. That's nice, too.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:49 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,587 times
This state blows, believe me. Insurance rates through the roof, corrupt everything, backwards way of doing things (no food stamps to college students ...), very limited social services net outside of the charity hospital system, tourism driven economy unless you get into oil which is very hard to make money on unless you're at the TOP of the company, crime out the you know what (I've personally known people to be shot and killed), a culture that is very "who you know"...

Take it all into account before moving here because it's a reality.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:46 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
This state blows, believe me. Insurance rates through the roof, corrupt everything, backwards way of doing things (no food stamps to college students ...), very limited social services net outside of the charity hospital system, tourism driven economy unless you get into oil which is very hard to make money on unless you're at the TOP of the company, crime out the you know what (I've personally known people to be shot and killed), a culture that is very "who you know"...

Take it all into account before moving here because it's a reality.
Sorry but that basically applies everywhere in the us. Just varying degrees of it.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:34 AM

36 posts, read 34,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
yuck I HATE new jersey lol you could never pay me enough money to live there
New Jersey isn't bad at all. The southern part of the state is absolutely amazing. Beautiful nature, small communities, close to the shore and Philly. You have the Pine Barrens, the shore and Philly all within 30-45 mins of almost anywhere in south Jersey. North Jersey gives the state a horrible reputation. It really isn't nearly as bad as most outsiders think. Most of the hate comes from pure ignorance.

Last edited by BlueGecko1; 04-04-2015 at 12:56 AM..

Old 04-04-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Sorry but that basically applies everywhere in the us. Just varying degrees of it.
Louisiana is comparably bad to every state in these respects. Many states don't have to deal with crime problems, we have a larger percentage of our population in prison than any state in the country and #2 isn't even close. This state has the highest auto insurance rates in the country, it has among the highest poverty rate in the country as well. Louisiana is also consistently ranked among the worst states in corruption, usually along with Illinois and Mississippi. Of course it applies to everywhere - but you're way more likely to have to deal with these things yourself in this state.

21st in GDP per capita (higher than the national average) and among the top 5 (usually top 2) in poverty rates. Something is seriously wrong with that picture.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Louisiana is comparably bad to every state in these respects. Many states don't have to deal with crime problems, we have a larger percentage of our population in prison than any state in the country and #2 isn't even close. This state has the highest auto insurance rates in the country, it has among the highest poverty rate in the country as well. Louisiana is also consistently ranked among the worst states in corruption, usually along with Illinois and Mississippi. Of course it applies to everywhere - but you're way more likely to have to deal with these things yourself in this state.

21st in GDP per capita (higher than the national average) and among the top 5 (usually top 2) in poverty rates. Something is seriously wrong with that picture.
However we dont rank as highly with drug use, miserable people and suicide, and quite a few other negative stats. You can move elsewhere and be surrounded by methheads, believing youre safer.
At least in this state you can enjoy yourself a lot.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
However we dont rank as highly with drug use, miserable people and suicide, and quite a few other negative stats. You can move elsewhere and be surrounded by methheads, believing youre safer.
At least in this state you can enjoy yourself a lot.
I guess that's one way of looking at it. I prefer to live here too so if you don't mind living in a state where you're twice as likely to be around a criminal than the national average then more power to you. Speaking of random violence that comes from drug use - the second pizza delivery driver was murdered in New Orleans in a year not long ago. Dominos won't even deliver to the lower 9th any more at night and wants to institute a credit card pay only policy with the area. Plus, how do you think the latest string of shootings on Bourbon Street will go over if that keeps happening?

Old 04-04-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I guess that's one way of looking at it. I prefer to live here too so if you don't mind living in a state where you're twice as likely to be around a criminal than the national average then more power to you. Speaking of random violence that comes from drug use - the second pizza delivery driver was murdered in New Orleans in a year not long ago. Dominos won't even deliver to the lower 9th any more at night and wants to institute a credit card pay only policy with the area. Plus, how do you think the latest string of shootings on Bourbon Street will go over if that keeps happening?
I cant speak to New Orleans. I wont deny how dangerous that city is, but New Orleans situation in terms of crime is not like the rest of the state. Its also a more urbanized close knit environment.
Elsewhere in the nation, people solve the crime problem but spreading out and away from it, not doing anything about it. They simply dont mingle where it is. I dont think thats any better for the situation. Plus many parts of the US have a much worse drug and gang problem than Louisiana does. We are lucky in that regard. Drugs and gangs are much more random violence. To be honest I wouldnt feel safe anywhere in the US at this point. People are too unpredictable. The only place where I would feel slightly more safe is Montana because of much less people or Utah because the Mormons keep a lot of drugs and crime away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana