Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,001 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm moving to Slidell area at the end of the school year and I was wondering about the schools there. I have a 3 y.o. boy, a 4(almost 5 y.o.) girl who will be starting kindergarden and a 10 y.o. girl who is gifted. There's where I'm finding my problem. I need to know which if any public or private schools in the area have gifted programs. She is in the 4th grade in a magnet school in VA right now and she is doing 7th grade studies. I can't pull her out of there and put her in a regular classroom! All the sites I'm finding on schools just say what the test scores are they don't say anything about gifted programs or how they study. I'm not opposed to driving her into New Orleans every day if it will benefit her education. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 09:31 AM

7 posts, read 30,033 times
My wife would have some great suggestions, we live in Slidell in the best school district in Slidell. I stumbled across this site as a posting place for my house for sale and then found alot of people have questions about Slidell so I figured we love it so much that I could answer some of them while trying to find a buyer for my house. I have a 2 year old boy, 4 year old girl, and 6 year old boy. My wife is a certified teacher by degree and although I am not the expert I am going to forward your message to her and get her opinion for you. In my general understanding the Northshore has better schools by far and I do not think you would ever want to take your kids to N.O. for private schools. There are certainly good schools in Slidell for both public and private depending on your taste and we have found the cost of living and the lifestyle on the Northshore to be very affordable to other areas like Houston. Again I do not know if you are interested but there is also a very strong homeschooling support structure in Slidell for those that feel it important and have the means to offer that to their children. Once you get out in the suburbs and away from the New Orleans the crime and other concerns drops off the radar in my opinion. If you are interested in neighborhoods that we have found to be very good I know nothing about what you are looking for but would be interested in sharing my experiences where applicable in an attempt to help. Slidell is about 35 miles from New Orleans so still close enough for a trip to New orleans for dinner or to go out for entertainment there, it has provent to be the best of all worlds for us.

thanks,

Neil

Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 AM

10 posts, read 45,427 times
Yes, there is a gifted program in the st.tammany public school system. I live in Slidell and the schools here are great.

Here's a link to the webiste: [url]http://www.stpsb.org/parents_programs_list.php?section=G]Instructional[/url] Programs - Parents - St. Tammany Parish School Board

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-12-2008 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: removed URL tags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana