U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,372 times
Default Housing in Port Allen??

Hi,

I'm moving to Louisiana from Florida really soon and need some help please! My husband got a job in Lafayette and I got a job in Baton Rouge! So we're trying to look into Port Allen housing but can't seem to find much online. Is it relatively safe there? And as far as traffic and the drive? Any recommendations I would really appreciate it! Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,511,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safigirl88 View Post
Hi,

I'm moving to Louisiana from Florida really soon and need some help please! My husband got a job in Lafayette and I got a job in Baton Rouge! So we're trying to look into Port Allen housing but can't seem to find much online. Is it relatively safe there? And as far as traffic and the drive? Any recommendations I would really appreciate it! Thanx
Port Allen between LA 1 and the river is OK. You may also want to look ar Brusly and Addis, which are towns south of Port Allen which have received some suburban growth. This growth has largely NOT occurred in Port Allen.

As to traffic, you have two challenges (1) the I-10 bridge between BR and Port Allen (also known locally as the "new bridge") backs up with traffic at rush hour, and there always seems to be some kind of wreck on that bridge, (2) the I-10 stretch between BR and Lafayette is hit or miss in terms of bad traffic, because you have people who don't know how to drive through the swamp. Plus, you have odd things happen, like a well blowout which required traffic diversion to US 190 (which parallels I-10)

If you like the small town atmosphere of Port Allen, you may also like some other small towns on US 190 like Erwinville and Krotz Springs. I'm throwing these "long shots" out because you're more equidistant between BR and Lafayette, and on your trip to BR, you get the "old bridge", which doesn't have as many traffic issues.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:14 PM

80 posts
Btw, how new is that I-10 bridge across the Miss River in Baton Rouge?? I get the impression as if it was built in the late-70's, early-80's or something.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,511,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald120 View Post
Btw, how new is that I-10 bridge across the Miss River in Baton Rouge?? I get the impression as if it was built in the late-70's, early-80's or something.
Here's the funny thing - the "new bridge" was opened in 1968. But since the "old bridge" has been around since the 1920s, it IS the "new bridge."

And, yes, that's the I-10 bridge that crosses the Mississippi just south of downtown/the Capitol.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM

794 posts, read 2,219,981 times
In Port Allen, the best areas are between LA-1 and the River. There are also some newer small subdivisions west of Port Allen along LA-76, Rosedale Road. You have to head out past the high school.
Also, most of LA-1 between Addis and Brusly isn't bad and there are several new subdivisions along that stretch, including an area of new houses around the new Westside YMCA. They are starting to expand that subdivision already.
Housing on the westbank used to be the cheapest in the metro area. I've heard of several small 2 and 3 bedroom houses in Port Allen near Jefferson between LA-1 and the river for less than $140K. My uncle got his house over there for $70K in Landsdown, but that was 10 years ago now. You probably won't find much for $70K now.
From Port Allen, the commute to BTR is relatively simple and easy. You're the first exit on the westbank, and if traffic on I-10 is that bad, you can exit off on Nicholson (the first exit on the eastbank which offers easy access to downtown and LSU). I have friends who consistently make that commute in less than 15 minutes, whereas it takes me 20-30 minutes to come from the eastern area of town.
I lived in Plaquemine for years. The commute was only rough maybe 15% of the time. And it's probably worse coming from that way because traffic tends to back up over the intracoastal waterway (ICWW) in the mornings. This is important if you live in Brusly-Addis. But many times, I drove in the left lane, passed the entrance ramp to the new bridge and just took the old bridge. The entire trip around takes about 13 miles, 15 minutes in good traffic.
The trip across the basin to Lafayette takes about 55 minutes in good traffic. But conditions can be hit or miss out there. 4 out of 5 days it's fine, but that one day will be hell. If they close the bridge while you're out there, you're in a real fix. People get stuck out there for 2-4 hours at a time in serious accidents, but they don't happen every week (although we'll go through spells where it seems there's one every other day for a week or two).

Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,606 times
hi, I am was a resident of Port Allen for about 14 years and it is not a bad place to live but it is a small town every one knows everyone and baton rouge is a just over the bridge and traffic can be bad around 5 o'clock but thats normal for Baton rouge. Now port allen is about 5 miles from Baton Rouge but is also about 40 miles from Lafayette so that is not very good for your husband unless he doesnt mind. Now if you have children or ever plan to in this area if find the high school is not so great of an education. It's an ok town i would say. I hope this helped you make a decision. Have a good one and good luck!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,585 times
Hi, all i can tell you is that I have a brother and sister n law who has lived in Port Allen for a number of years and have been very satisfied. I have also been considering moving there! As for the traffic, just be ready for certain times of the day. it can be quite hectic with backed up traffic. For housing, I don't know what else to tell you except maybe checking classifieds or going through a realtor. If you are looking to rent, there is apartment finder online. You can also check online at 2theadvocate.com who has links to houses and apartments. Good luck to you both.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 PM

11 posts, read 9,172 times
my daugther is moving to Port Allen and i'm worred about her safety.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,863,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relopez1 View Post
my daugther is moving to Port Allen and i'm worred about her safety.
Why would you be worried? How old is she? What kind of work will she be doing?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM

11 posts, read 9,172 times
Becaues she is moving a long ways from mn. I'm just a worried Mother. I just wanted to know how bad the crime is there. Just very worried about my daugthers safety. She is 24. She is moving down there with her boyfriend. He has a new job there. Thanks for any information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana