Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:35 PM

36 posts, read 55,571 times

Advertisements

We've lived in quite a few states but never in the south, much less LA. Business opportunity may make a move possible. Of course we'll need to visit but any opinions on where to live would be helpful to narrow things down. Briefly, there is flexibility; we can live anywhere, but looking for larger population. Also, we have 0 kids, late 30's, post college educated, and greater than $150k yearly income. Don't need a lot of land. Diversity of people would be nice. So far we've looked at NoLo, though the prospect of relocating below sea level is a little unnerving. Covington? Any other ideas? I like the idea of being near water but not under it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 03:16 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,120,303 times
Have you checked out Baton Rouge? Btw, it's "NOLA."

Old 03-19-2016, 10:10 AM

Ha! Sorry, it was late. I'll keep checking out BR. Heard mixed reviews.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 PM

31 posts, read 38,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroSigh View Post
We've lived in quite a few states but never in the south, much less LA. Business opportunity may make a move possible. Of course we'll need to visit but any opinions on where to live would be helpful to narrow things down. Briefly, there is flexibility; we can live anywhere, but looking for larger population. Also, we have 0 kids, late 30's, post college educated, and greater than $150k yearly income. Don't need a lot of land. Diversity of people would be nice. So far we've looked at NoLo, though the prospect of relocating below sea level is a little unnerving. Covington? Any other ideas? I like the idea of being near water but not under it...
Definitely NOLA, BR will be too boring for you)

North shore( Mandevile , Convington, Madisonvile etc) I would recommend only if you would have kids( schools are very good and it is very safe) if you decide on North Shore then move to Mandeville, they still have a lot of things going on and very nice subdivisions, closer to the bridge, non flooding zone etc...In case you will move again very easy to sell house, since it is a very desirable area.
Since you don't have kids, then move to NOLA, uptown area is very popular, a lot of young people of your age live there. With your income you will be able to buy a nice house in uptown.
If you don't like uptown( because it is not enough parking or you don't feel safe there e t c) then Lakeview area is great too....
If you don't want to pay too much for house then Metairie is great, 15 min and you in downtown.
Nola is great city!!!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:51 PM

806 posts, read 872,140 times
Baton Rouge is far from boring . What kind of hobbies and interests do ya'll have ?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:49 PM

289 posts, read 304,083 times
NOLA. Unless you want to live in redneck hell. Or worse yet, in a suburban hell full of rednecks who desperately pretend that they aren't rednecks. Really, NOLA is the only place worth living in LA. And even then, just barely, because the homogeneity of culture gets old very fast.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:16 AM

Hmm. I wonder what percentage of transplants "take" to NOLA. It seems quite a few folks born and raised there stay but complain about it. I haven't heard to much on this from the transplant crowd. As for hobbies, wine and good food, fishing, sailing, gardening to an extent. One can't commute from NOLA to north shore for work, correct?

Old 03-21-2016, 01:11 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,512,341 times
Don't.

Louisiana is pretty awful unless you love sports. There is basically nothing else to do there except get into car wrecks, get shot at, and eat until you weigh 700 pounds.

Want to live in the south? Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia, Kentucky; all much better choices.

If you must pick Louisiana make it Lafayette or New Orleans. NOT Baton Rouge, trust me. I lived there for several years. It's awful.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,095,868 times
I'm one of those so-called rednecks that Lusiphur refers to. I'm not one to give an opinion.....but if you are conservative and like soaking humidity, you'll fit right in.

I moved to Lafayette in the eighties and fell in love with the character of the place.
Met my wife there and after living in the Hell that is Washington, DC for 30-years. We recently bagged our money and returned to Slidell to retire. It's a bit of a culture shock compared to the Beltway, but that's why we love it here.
This is real America as far as we're concerned. Agree with me or not on that, but I'm among friends here.

Google marinas in the Gulf States. Slidell is a big waterfront home area. Baton Rouge has no boating per se. If you think the Mississippi is for boating, it isn't.

Spend the day driving Mandeville, Lacombe and Slidell.You'll get a quick feel for the areas.
Wife's family from Slidell, yet we spent 3-years narrowing down a spot to buy.
Don't know how you could make a quick decision here, and houses can stay on the market a long time here, and often after many years you don't have equity.
You can get a killer home in say Oak Harbor in the $400's. A house like that in Annapolis would be $1.4m!

Remember we're a bunch of rednecks here according to some! We love boating, fishing, and don't forget the guns! Lots of guns!
And poboys.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:03 AM

16,506 posts, read 26,185,076 times
Quote:
New Orleans is where I'd go if I were you. It's the perfect place since you don't have kids and a decent income. I'd look Uptown close to St. Charles or the river. Or Bayou St. John area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
NOLA. Unless you want to live in redneck hell. Or worse yet, in a suburban hell full of rednecks who desperately pretend that they aren't rednecks. Really, NOLA is the only place worth living in LA. And even then, just barely, because the homogeneity of culture gets old very fast.
How much time have you spent in Baton Rouge? Most of the people you are talking about are from the suburbs that go to BR for work then leave after and back to Watson or Plaquemine.
The city of Baton Rouge is not what you're describing.
Quote:
Hmm. I wonder what percentage of transplants "take" to NOLA. It seems quite a few folks born and raised there stay but complain about it. I haven't heard to much on this from the transplant crowd. As for hobbies, wine and good food, fishing, sailing, gardening to an extent. One can't commute from NOLA to north shore for work, correct?
Quite a few of them do! That's why they move to New Orleans. If someone is complaining about New Orleans, they're likely not from the city or they are making legitimate complaints (and there are alot).
Yes one can commute from the northshore, thousands of people do it everyday. But with no kids, I'd live at the very least on the southshore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Don't.

Louisiana is pretty awful unless you love sports. There is basically nothing else to do there except get into car wrecks, get shot at, and eat until you weigh 700 pounds.

Want to live in the south? Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia, Kentucky; all much better choices.

If you must pick Louisiana make it Lafayette or New Orleans. NOT Baton Rouge, trust me. I lived there for several years. It's awful.
You lived in Walker/Albany area, correct? That's not Baton Rouge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana