Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 11:01 PM

787 posts, read 636,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Where in TX did you live?

I lived in Killeen, which is closish to, uhm, maybe Waco and Austin? I also dated a girl from Texarkana which apparently is pretty close to Shreveport, plus I hear many "it's like east texas" comments though I know to take stuff like that with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 10:33 AM

370 posts, read 441,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
... but it's not a major city like shreveport, more like a smaller city/town but not rural either.

What should I consider before making a decision?

Is taking the salary hit compensated by COL?

Hit me with it!
IMPORTANT FOOTNOTE: Anything housing within 20 miles of Lake Charles, Louisiana is going through a long-term (3-5 year) bubble that has not yet reached its peak. If you rent / lease in this area expect to be hit with an increase in next 3-5 years. If you buy in this area then expect the value of the property to drop after 3-5 years.

Lake Charles is in the middle of an industrial worker boom that will cease once several mega projects have completed.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:08 PM

787 posts, read 636,908 times
Would it be reasonable to move right over to a neighboring state and work in Louisiana? What would be pros and cons of this?

taxes, etc are my main concerns, gun laws etc. Not so much weather etc as I expect it to not be too drastically different.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Would it be reasonable to move right over to a neighboring state and work in Louisiana? What would be pros and cons of this?

taxes, etc are my main concerns, gun laws etc. Not so much weather etc as I expect it to not be too drastically different.
Many people make the commute and claim they don't have to pay property taxes in Texas. However, make sure you register your home address in Texas to ensure you pay the proper income taxes or they will find you eventually.

Calcasieu Parish (Lake Charles, Vinton, Sulphur, Dequincy) borders Texas. Yesterday, I drove from my forest land in Vinton Exit 7 to I-210 in Lake Charles in about 35 minutes. The interstate I-10 is becoming very crowded and one traffic accident can turn a short morning commute into a multi-hour ordeal.

If no one has mentioned it yet, then you should know that one of the most popular ways to find affordable housing along the Gulf Coast has become RV Parks. People are simply driving their 5th wheel or tow behind trailer in and literally camping out at the many RV parks in this area. In fact the tiny housing boom you see on HGTV got its roots from this same activity! You could use this method to rent out a spot for a few months until you find a local house or property to park your 5th wheel on.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:06 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,777,798 times
To be honest, if all you're wanting is to find awesome women, you're probably better off staying in California.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:00 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,010,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
To be honest, if all you're wanting is to find awesome women, you're probably better off staying in California.
The gender ratio in Louisiana is slightly better for men than in CA

Old 01-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
The gender ratio in Louisiana is slightly better for men than in CA
But the quality of women is better there. Obesity is an issue in Louisiana.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
But the quality of women is better there. Obesity is an issue in Louisiana.
While I won't defend either position, your repeated attempts to incite a response to your inflamatory statements is obviously TROLLING!

"make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them."

Old 01-26-2017, 05:52 PM

427 posts, read 435,786 times
Possibly Louisana women with meat on their bones know about good cooking. Life choices are yours to make. Choose wisely.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
While I won't defend either position, your repeated attempts to incite a response to your inflamatory statements is obviously TROLLING!

"make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them."
Nope, I was addressing the OP, nobody else. If his intent is "slaying copious amounts of southern belles [sic]" then he probably needs to know a thing or two about the women...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana