Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM

420 posts, read 474,207 times

Advertisements

That is great point about them dog gone Saints, I love 'em, but why does most us bow down when we find out how much more "americally advanced" the rest of the country is. And those of us who listen those American bandwagon jumpers are now ashamed of being from here. . They like to come in here and say"Louisiana is so retarded, where are all the gay clubs and fake boobs?". "There aren't enough hot dog stands and people driving porshes" Because we drive trucks and recreational boats!! We eat stew, cusines, and gumbo, what's a hot dog anyway? But all a sudden because the majority of the country has, live, and practice a way of life that's very different from us many of us feel bad about ourselves instead of being proud to be unique(like good ole bayoukld).Its really those who leave with the low self esteem. They want to claim their from another state, but let the saints start winning, watch the accents suddenly come back. I travel around braggjng about my louisiana. I can take tnat criticism and defend mines!! But find that few Louisianans are like this, and that's why I ask......does louisiana have low self esteem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:26 PM

36 posts, read 239,386 times
Maybe it's just that the rest of the country is just too uptight about everything and we are laid back. I was brought up "old school" and the way I see it is, when the plug gets yanked on the "Americally Advanced" as you put it then, we will be living "high on tha hog". Simply because, we are in touch with our roots and that is a strong part of our heritage. Living off the land. From grabbing that ol' trusty shotgun or fishin' pole and puttin' food on tha table to being able to rebuild a Ford pickup truck with a pair of pliers, duck tape and some bailing wire!

Some people just don't like to change and there has been a lot of changes over the past 100 years. My grandfather, whom is still living, can still recall when they first got electricity and when the first airplane flew over. I don't know very many people who can't recall visiting with their grandparents when they were kids and grandma ringging the neck on an ol' rooster in the yard and cookin' him up for supper. I think that it is important to stay in tuned with our roots and family traditions.

Now possibly, alot of the "younger generation" may have low self esteem because of the old ways alot of Louisianaians live by but, they are just kids and think they know it all, just like we did when we were kids. Once they hit their mid 30's with kids of their own, their heritage will come flooding back.

I think also that the ones you mentioned that left with low self esteem would have probably had low self esteem no matter where they were born. Some people "need" the big cities to survive. Not me. I love the country side. No cars, no buses, no noise. Just sit out on tha porch and listen to the crickets and frogs. Yall can keep all that concrete.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,915,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoukid View Post
I think also that the ones you mentioned that left with low self esteem would have probably had low self esteem no matter where they were born. Some people "need" the big cities to survive. Not me. I love the country side. No cars, no buses, no noise. Just sit out on tha porch and listen to the crickets and frogs. Yall can keep all that concrete.
Yep, the crickets, frogs, and that fantastic high-pitched whine of all the skeeters. But I agree 100%...I've seen people who are so hooked on the sense of 'identity' they get from city attractions, they go to pieces when they're away from it. Mind you, we're going to our acerage in the country this holiday weekend, and I sure as heck am gonna miss this forum! What, no INTERNET out there?? I think my self-esteem will remain intact though. The quiet of the country gives you space to think, and maybe a lot of people don't like what they find when that happens.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,023,697 times
It must have a low self esteem, how can a state with pound to pound more natural resources, than any other state in the country be so far behind in industry, housing and education. Most of all the state need forward thinking people

The best food in America is in Lousiana

Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,287,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
It must have a low self esteem, how can a state with pound to pound more natural resources, than any other state in the country be so far behind in industry, housing and education. Most of all the state need forward thinking people

The best food in America is in Lousiana
isn't that the truth..I'm a La. native, but have been living in both PA and MD for the last 20 years. There are many places that try to duplicate Lousisana cooking, but if one wants the real thing, there is no where like Louisiana. I've been to several so-called "Louisiana Style" restaurants here in the northeast, and none even came close. . Furthermore, there is nothing like mom's gumbo

Old 03-21-2008, 01:41 PM

794 posts, read 3,347,141 times
Default food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
isn't that the truth..I'm a La. native, but have been living in both PA and MD for the last 20 years. There are many places that try to duplicate Lousisana cooking, but if one wants the real thing, there is no where like Louisiana. I've been to several so-called "Louisiana Style" restaurants here in the northeast, and none even came close. . Furthermore, there is nothing like mom's gumbo
Agreed. I'll be the first to admit that there is no other place in America that can duplicate our food.
And yet, I am such a sucker, everytime I visit NYC, DC, Cali, etc and I see a "cajun" place or something "cajun" on the menu, I have to try it just to satisfy my curiosity. And I always come out upset that I did it. Yuck!
One day I'll learn.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,287,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Agreed. I'll be the first to admit that there is no other place in America that can duplicate our food.
And yet, I am such a sucker, everytime I visit NYC, DC, Cali, etc and I see a "cajun" place or something "cajun" on the menu, I have to try it just to satisfy my curiosity. And I always come out upset that I did it. Yuck!
One day I'll learn.
Very true...Plus, when I lived in La. I took everything for granted in terms of food.

Now that I am thinking about it, there is a place in Columbia, Pa. not too far from my house I keep forgetting about that I will try, as the owners are from Louisiana. He gets all of his ingredients from home, so it should be good.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 PM

7 posts, read 47,137 times
I can't speak for anyone else, but my self esteem has never been based on where I reside. Never has, never will.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 PM

21 posts, read 84,678 times
If you are enjoying life - be it food, love, nature, family, etc - size shouldn't matter. I was born 10 lbs 10 1/2 oz. I was a big baby, a chunky kid and am still big now. Diets knock of 20 lbs, but it always comes back one way or another regardless of exercise and food types. I don't think Louisiana is a "fat" state, but I think some of the people do have "fat ego's". Don't think you are better because you are thin...or smarter...or happier. I think, if anything, Louisiana is about average in regards to people sizes, average for schools/education, above average for colleges, average/above average in the job market, and way above average in great cuisine and cultural heritage/diversity.
Tolerance of certain things is low, but it is the south and certain things will never change. JMO though.

no, I don't think it's a "low self esteem" state or filled with LSE people. Everybody has their ups and downs.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 PM

56 posts, read 227,963 times
Default Yes it does

I agree that the state does have low self esteem (if thats what you want to call it) I was born and raised there for 34 years until I made the best decision of my life - to move away. Just look around at the schools, look at the roads...I grew up in br and then moved to livingston..went from bad to worse...I was so tired of looking at trailer parks and tearing up my vehicles hitting pot holes....not trying to be rude, only being honest....there is not alot to be proud of and I am reminded of that each visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana