U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 PM
 
1 posts, read 16,017 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have always wanted to visit Louisiana, maybe even live there. However i was concerned about their gay population and tolerence down there, you know with it being the south and all. Does anyone live near the Gretna area or know about it and its gay population? I just want to know how safe it is there for a gay couple to live freely down there and if they have a large gay population similar to San fransisco perhaps? I recently visited Georgia and noticed that they have a large gay population and the straight people there dont even stare like they never see gay couples. Is it like that in Louisiana?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 3,798,500 times
Reputation: 277
All depends on where you are. New Orleans is obviously going to be the most accepting place... New Orleans is such a nice, cultural place. If you've never been, DO visit there.

Baton Rouge might be accepting as well since it's a major college area.

Shreveport-Bossier is going to be *somewhat* accepting, but definitely not highly. Lots of rednecks in this area who think if you don't like NASCAR, don't hunt, or are different in any way that you shouldn't be here. I'm not saying we're ALL that way, but there is a lot of it here unfortunately.

Louisiana, in general, is very rural. Your ultimate bet would be New Orleans! Gretna is in the New Orleans, but other than that unfortunately I don't know much about that city. Sorry! But good luck!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2008, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 2,835,388 times
Reputation: 239
I agree. You will probably feel more comfortable in the major cities. Gretna is on the westbank. I'm not sure how open and diverse the westbank is. You wouldn't have much problem within NOLA, perhaps parts of Metairie as well. BTR, it depends on the areas but generally the central part of the city is fairly diverse. There's always LSU as well which is a large community in itself. You're much less likely to get stares in the eccletic neighborhoods and shopping at Whole Foods or Calandro's rather than the local WalMart. Baton Rouge has several known mixed and diverse neighborhoods and I'm sure a few other unknown places.
The suburbs are, well, the suburbs. Don't think you'd like it much there. I won't go into more detail unless you want to know more.
I've heard Lafayette is progressive, but I can't answer for them or Shreveport.
I will say that I really don't hear much about crimes against people because of differing sexual orientation. Our crime is more gang or youth violence and also some robberies, car breakins and the such. I can't vouch for verbal abuse, but I doubt you'll have to worry much about physical abuse (just from recent history, news stories, and crime numbers).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 3,798,500 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I agree. You will probably feel more comfortable in the major cities. Gretna is on the westbank. I'm not sure how open and diverse the westbank is. You wouldn't have much problem within NOLA, perhaps parts of Metairie as well. BTR, it depends on the areas but generally the central part of the city is fairly diverse. There's always LSU as well which is a large community in itself. You're much less likely to get stares in the eccletic neighborhoods and shopping at Whole Foods or Calandro's rather than the local WalMart. Baton Rouge has several known mixed and diverse neighborhoods and I'm sure a few other unknown places.
The suburbs are, well, the suburbs. Don't think you'd like it much there. I won't go into more detail unless you want to know more.
I've heard Lafayette is progressive, but I can't answer for them or Shreveport.
I will say that I really don't hear much about crimes against people because of differing sexual orientation. Our crime is more gang or youth violence and also some robberies, car breakins and the such. I can't vouch for verbal abuse, but I doubt you'll have to worry much about physical abuse (just from recent history, news stories, and crime numbers).
As much as I hate to admit it, Lafayette is more progressive than Shreveport. I wish the winds of change would sweep through here and blow out all of the bigots, but in the meantime I will say Lafayette definitely is more progressive. And yes, that bothers me tremendously.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2008, 06:52 PM
 
Location: The South
264 posts, read 954,996 times
Reputation: 80
New Orleans would be the best. Unlike the more conservative southern area its in, its just so diverse and culturally vibrant- and I think they even have a festival or something for gays in August, Im not sure though...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 2,835,388 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post
New Orleans would be the best. Unlike the more conservative southern area its in, its just so diverse and culturally vibrant- and I think they even have a festival or something for gays in August, Im not sure though...
You're talking about the Decadence Festival. Yeah, it's in late August.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2008, 11:25 PM
 
535 posts, read 1,811,843 times
Reputation: 336
As a gay man going to school in New Orleans, I can definitely vouch for it being an open-minded city. I personally wouldn't walk around holding hands with another guy, but that's just me. I wouldn't do it anywhere.

There's a live-and-let-live attitude here. It's all carefree. [Hence, The City That Care Forgot.]
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 3,798,500 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
As a gay man going to school in New Orleans, I can definitely vouch for it being an open-minded city. I personally wouldn't walk around holding hands with another guy, but that's just me. I wouldn't do it anywhere.

There's a live-and-let-live attitude here. It's all carefree. [Hence, The City That Care Forgot.]
Not to mention "The Big Easy!" In my opinion both of those names say it all. It's just an easy-living type of place.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
258 posts, read 856,596 times
Reputation: 95
Eat @ the Clover grill and you'll understand.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM
 
Location: North Bossier Parish
7 posts, read 41,500 times
Reputation: 15
It's not the rednecks in S'port/Bossier who'll step on your buzz, It's the "hollier-n-thou" Bible-thumpers that'll ruin the party. They'd love to shut down boats, track, clubs...anything fun, rather'n minding their own business. But, they're worrie'd 'bout your soul...bless their hearts!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top