Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 01:54 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Maybe you can break down the 2,000 people demographically. Provide a picture of them in general.

A reduction of those requiring Social Services is a net gain for the State in my opinion.
Highly simplistic thinking. Louisiana has generally lost population over time for the last two decades, if not longer. Which is why taxes are high and service levels are low now. That's only going to get worse as people continue to leave. Do you really think only poor people leave Louisiana? Do you think that continued population loss and brain drain haven't hurt the state in the past and won't continue to hurt it in the future?

I guess a lack of growth shouldn't be surprising when residents think that shrinking their own economy is good overall. Going straight to left/right red/blue politics when discussing population growth or lack thereof is just another symptom of how unproductive our public discourse tends to be these days. "Population growth is bad because THOSE PEOPLE will move here, let's not make our state better!" Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 02:03 PM

370 posts, read 446,875 times
QUICK POPULATION NOTE: Lake Charles / Sulphur / Calcasieu Parish are now seeing the tell-tale initial signs that the temporary industrial workers are leaving. Cheniere LNG / Sasol Ethane / Cameron LNG mega-projects are all in final testing phase or operational.

RESULTS:

* Traffic on the interstate is much less in the mornings / evenings.
* Market is flooded with available rentals with prices going lower.
* Crime has been skyrocketing locally in Sulphur & Lake Charles as good paying jobs are replaced with need desperation.

LONG-TERM:
Expect more population loss on this side of the state over the next 3 years as our parish struggles to figure out what to do with all these vacant rental properties.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Maybe you can break down the 2,000 people demographically. Provide a picture of them in general.

A reduction of those requiring Social Services is a net gain for the State in my opinion.
Most of the people leaving Louisiana are highly educated. Those that have the means to get out do like me.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
QUICK POPULATION NOTE: Lake Charles / Sulphur / Calcasieu Parish are now seeing the tell-tale initial signs that the temporary industrial workers are leaving. Cheniere LNG / Sasol Ethane / Cameron LNG mega-projects are all in final testing phase or operational.

RESULTS:

* Traffic on the interstate is much less in the mornings / evenings.
* Market is flooded with available rentals with prices going lower.
* Crime has been skyrocketing locally in Sulphur & Lake Charles as good paying jobs are replaced with need desperation.

LONG-TERM:
Expect more population loss on this side of the state over the next 3 years as our parish struggles to figure out what to do with all these vacant rental properties.
Old news. Now there are some new developments.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...lng-train.html

Cheniere has just awarded a contract for $2 billion for the 6th train. 5th train should be completed early 2019 but 6th will drag on for a couple of years as site construction for that train hasn't begun.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:31 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Most of the people leaving Louisiana are highly educated. Those that have the means to get out do like me.
You have no proof of that. Many leaving are blue-collar renters looking for greener grass. I was one of them 30-years ago.

Louisiana offers a unique culture and lifestyle that is not for everyone.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:45 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
To me the only Louisiana city that isn´t stuck on stupid is Lafayette, and it just barely makes the cut. No one wants to pay taxes, I get it, but voters in Lafayette Parish have made idiotic choices as of late. Voting down taxes on libraries was bad, but voting down a HALF CENT sales tax increase to get the kids out of trailers and to build real classrooms, well..that says it all to me.

Texas might have high property taxes, but look at the results. Look at teacher pay anywhere in TX and then compare it to Louisiana. Look at the beautiful facilities, and more often than not, academic success even amongst the poorest demographics in underdog regions like the Río Grande Valley.

Why would I go back to Louisiana now? Even Arkansas has their stuff together compared to us.

Disclaimer: I only intend to speak as an educator...there could be other fields where Louisiana clearly has the advantage over other states.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:20 AM

370 posts, read 446,875 times
Quote:
Old news. Now there are some new developments.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...lng-train.html

Cheniere has just awarded a contract for $2 billion for the 6th train. 5th train should be completed early 2019 but 6th will drag on for a couple of years as site construction for that train hasn't begun.

Not enough to keep most of the temporary construction workers in Louisiana.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
When other states are growing by hundreds of thousands of people, a loss of 2,000 people means a loss of a representative in Congress. Even some places in the Northeast that GAINED population like Rhode Island are slated to lose a representative because other places, like Texas or Colorado gained population faster.

Lake Charles has propped up the whole state for the past 5 years. If it weren't for all the new jobs created in LC, Louisiana would've lost even more people, probably 10,000 people.
Each legislative district represent 710,000 people. At the current loss of 2,000 people per year ................. it will take a while to lose a representative.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Each legislative district represent 710,000 people. At the current loss of 2,000 people per year ................. it will take a while to lose a representative.
Right now each legislative district represents 710,000 people. There are only 435 representatives and the numbers don't increase, so... as states gain population the districts contain more people.

In the last census, the people in a district went from 642,000 to 710,000. Assuming the same rate of growth in the country as a whole, the new districts will be around 770,000 people. In order to "cover" those districts the same size, each district would need to gain 60,000 people and the state would need to gain 60k*6=360,000 people over a 10 year period. That is "keeping pace". If it loses population it will most likely lose another representative.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:05 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
"We lost a seat"? Who is "we"? You live in Texas. And a net 2,000 people left Louisiana in the census. OMG!

We like Louisiana just fine, and are building a home on the water in Slidell. Lots sell fast and all the builders are busy.

Like most in the State, I'm happy Louisiana isn't attracting culture-changing liberals from the coasts that are turning States Blue.

Look what's happening to Texas. Look what happened to my home State of Virginia. It's now run by Leftists.

Yes, we like Louisiana just fine.
That's not what happened to Texas. It's the native Texans under the age of 30 that are turning the state blue (well purple actually). People moving to Texas (aka the parents) still tend to be more conservative/vote Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana