Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:36 AM

258 posts, read 1,018,064 times

Advertisements

Southern LA is like Northern IL, the rest of the state is completely different and when asked if you've been to places outside of that immediate area, you're like...ehh.... but, you easily list all the other places around the country you've been.

When people ask me about lower Illinois, I scratch my head it's like a whole other universe, from what I can tell about the NOLA people vs people in say...I dunno Monroe, they might as well be talking about visiting the moon.

I love that about certain states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 06:20 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,992,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserylovesco. View Post
Southern LA is like Northern IL, the rest of the state is completely different and when asked if you've been to places outside of that immediate area, you're like...ehh.... but, you easily list all the other places around the country you've been.

When people ask me about lower Illinois, I scratch my head it's like a whole other universe, from what I can tell about the NOLA people vs people in say...I dunno Monroe, they might as well be talking about visiting the moon.

I love that about certain states.
Oh so true. I think that when one large city dominates a state that its hard to convince people tthat there actually is another part of the state. Sure it happens in New York state too.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:51 AM

3,087 posts, read 3,207,592 times
Ohhhh I see, Northern, IL=chicago and Southern, LA=New Orleans. Personally I live in the Lake Charles area and I seldomly go north(though we used to go to natchitoches when I was a kid). However, to outsiders, anytime I say I'm from Louisiana, they automatically assume New Orleans.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Ohhhh I see, Northern, IL=chicago and Southern, LA=New Orleans. Personally I live in the Lake Charles area and I seldomly go north(though we used to go to natchitoches when I was a kid). However, to outsiders, anytime I say I'm from Louisiana, they automatically assume New Orleans.
Oh how I remember those days in the AirForce when asked where I was from and answered "Louisiana", the first question out of the asker's mouth was "Are you from New Orleens?" Second question was "You go to Mardi Gras?" I couldn't get mad because that was the extent that some knew about it and more than many did. Funny but I have met many people who lived there entire lives in La and never went to NO nor MG. Well you know why some never went to Mardi Gras-too much drinkin' haha. Most don't belittle either but some just couldn't handle it.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,450,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Funny but I have met many people who lived there entire lives in La and never went to NO nor MG. Well you know why some never went to Mardi Gras-too much drinkin' haha. Most don't belittle either but some just couldn't handle it.
I think that a good number of Louisianians are ignorant of their home state, especially New Orleanians. I know several people in southeast Louisiana, who've been all across the south if not the country but have never been to North Louisiana. I have to admit that I can count my trips to North Louisiana on my hands.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 PM

54 posts, read 303,186 times
Quote:
Oh how I remember those days in the AirForce when asked where I was from and answered "Louisiana", the first question out of the asker's mouth was "Are you from New Orleens?" Second question was "You go to Mardi Gras?" I couldn't get mad because that was the extent that some knew about it and more than many did. Funny but I have met many people who lived there entire lives in La and never went to NO nor MG. Well you know why some never went to Mardi Gras-too much drinkin' haha. Most don't belittle either but some just couldn't handle it.
I got the opposite. I had one conversation went something like this:

Me: I'm moving.
Them: To where?
Me: New Orleans.
Them. *pause* What?
Them: Where's that?

OP, it's not just Illinois, Louisiana, or New York. People tend to fixate on the biggest city. I used to live in Washington State, but I lived in a desert. After I moved away, people kept insisting I was "used to all this rain" any time it rained. The area I lived in averages a quarter of an inch of rain for the month of July. I was NOT used to rain!

Living in the New Orleans area, NOW I am used to rain!

Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I think that a good number of Louisianians are ignorant of their home state, especially New Orleanians. I know several people in southeast Louisiana, who've been all across the south if not the country but have never been to North Louisiana. I have to admit that I can count my trips to North Louisiana on my hands.
It is amazing, isn't it? There is plenty to see and do in this state that doesn't cost much. All over the state. Now that we have several multi-lane highways and interstates, it's even easier to get there!

Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,450,710 times
Quote:
It is amazing, isn't it? There is plenty to see and do in this state that doesn't cost much. All over the state. Now that we have several multi-lane highways and interstates, it's even easier to get there!
I know. It varies so much from corner to corner, that you're really short changing yourself by not seeing it all.
I remember going to Baton Rouge for the first time long ago and being in pure culture shock. Just imagine when I made it to Shreveport.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger81 View Post
I got the opposite. I had one conversation went something like this:

Quote:
Me: I'm moving.
Them: To where?
Them. *pause* What?
Them: Where's that?
OP, it's not just Illinois, Louisiana, or New York. People tend to fixate on the biggest city. I used to live in Washington State, but I lived in a desert. After I moved away, people kept insisting I was "used to all this rain" any time it rained. The area I lived in averages a quarter of an inch of rain for the month of July. I was NOT used to rain!

Living in the New Orleans area, NOW I am used to rain!
these are the ones who can't name their own state capitol

Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 PM

3,087 posts, read 3,207,592 times
There were some in New Orleans who prior to hurricane katrina had never been anywhere else in Louisiana[In fact some of them probably never even left the city]. So when they came to LC to seek shelter, some of them just stayed there, it was like another world to them. On the other had me, I've only been to new orleans a couple of times in my life. The first was, picking up my grandmother from the air port(I was a kid and hardly remember anything about this one as far as the city b/c we didnt travel into it), the second time was in 2006 for an art trip that McNeese was hosting. My last time was catching a flight out to Orlando, FL back in 08. Then going from orlando to N.O. so okay four times, but as far as touring I'd say once. I still have yet to go to a mardi gras celebration there, though I would love to. B/c mardi gras in my hometown sucks. Little places like Jennings and Mamou have better mardi events than LC does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana