U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 10,111 times

Advertisements

For almost ten years now, I have been living in Sweden and it was quite a culture shock when I moved here compared to Gretna, Louisiana... but now I have finally convinced my Swedish husband to move back to Louisiana. We have been looking for houses to buy on the internet in Houma, Raceland, Franklinton and a few other places.

My son was born in Gretna, La. but I moved to Wyoming with my son's father in the summer of 1994 and I became a widow in 1995. I remarried in 1996 to a wonderful Swedish man that I met on the internet and moved to Sweden in March of 97. I homeschooled my son with an American homeschooling program so that he would have an American education and this year I placed him in a Swedish public high school. After being tested he was placed in the 11th grade at the age of 13 most of his classmates are 17 and 18.

We plan on moving back in the summer of 2008, hopefully... but I was wondering what my son will do since he will graduate from high school before we move back. He will only be 15. Can he go to high school in Louisiana for a year so he can meet people and attend classes that he was unable to take in Sweden? Or should he go straight to college? I know that homeschooling put him ahead of his peers but I only homeschooled him because I wanted him to be able to fluent in both languages. Does anyone know if he has the right to attend high school in Louisiana since he will only be 15?

Also, does anyone know if there are any ice hockey or soccer teams in Louisiana for teens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:44 PM

130 posts, read 124,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECowgirl View Post
For almost ten years now, I have been living in Sweden and it was quite a culture shock when I moved here compared to Gretna, Louisiana... but now I have finally convinced my Swedish husband to move back to Louisiana. We have been looking for houses to buy on the internet in Houma, Raceland, Franklinton and a few other places.

My son was born in Gretna, La. but I moved to Wyoming with my son's father in the summer of 1994 and I became a widow in 1995. I remarried in 1996 to a wonderful Swedish man that I met on the internet and moved to Sweden in March of 97. I homeschooled my son with an American homeschooling program so that he would have an American education and this year I placed him in a Swedish public high school. After being tested he was placed in the 11th grade at the age of 13 most of his classmates are 17 and 18.

We plan on moving back in the summer of 2008, hopefully... but I was wondering what my son will do since he will graduate from high school before we move back. He will only be 15. Can he go to high school in Louisiana for a year so he can meet people and attend classes that he was unable to take in Sweden? Or should he go straight to college? I know that homeschooling put him ahead of his peers but I only homeschooled him because I wanted him to be able to fluent in both languages. Does anyone know if he has the right to attend high school in Louisiana since he will only be 15?

Also, does anyone know if there are any ice hockey or soccer teams in Louisiana for teens?
If your Son is intelligent and looking to a higher education, why as his Mother would you move back to Louisiana? I believe they were rated the worst educated State in the country.Also you have to take into consideration that after hurricane Katrina you have had alot of Outstanding New Orleans residents move all over La.Crime rates are going thru the roof in towns that never had any real crime since Katrina.It might not be the La you remember years ago when you left.Sorry to offend anyone but then again it is only the truth.Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 PM

772 posts, read 4,159,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud to be American View Post
If your Son is intelligent and looking to a higher education, why as his Mother would you move back to Louisiana? I believe they were rated the worst educated State in the country.Also you have to take into consideration that after hurricane Katrina you have had alot of Outstanding New Orleans residents move all over La.Crime rates are going thru the roof in towns that never had any real crime since Katrina.It might not be the La you remember years ago when you left.Sorry to offend anyone but then again it is only the truth.Good luck with whatever you do.
Exactly what awesome state are you from?

Louisiana has the worst education system as a state, [Admin: personal attack deleted]. Bossier Parish and some of the suburban Baton Rouge area schools are rated among the highest in the state. Louisiana AS A WHOLE isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-05-2007 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: attack ideas, not people

Old 01-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post

Louisiana has the worst education system as a state, but you're ignorant if you believe all cities in the state have bad education systems. Bossier Parish and some of the suburban Baton Rouge area schools are rated among the highest in the state. Louisiana AS A WHOLE isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
Now i did not say "All cities in La have bad education systems" obviously you are ignorant for your lack of understanding what was said.Let me guess where you were educated? I did not take the poll...Uh the Government did like it does every year and that is the fact about Loserana. (Lowest tesk scores VS rest of United States)Stating that some of the schools in LA are some of the best in the state is an Oxymoron...Best of the worst! But heck if it is working for you or your kids have at it and the best to you.Me personally i have done alot of business in La and i'am not impressed at all! Although LSU is not so bad but then again if it were not for enrollment from out of state students it would not be as good! btw, I'am from Florida and educated there.Not as good as say... Minnesota but not as bad as La. I believe 7-8 in the country.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:58 PM

10 posts, read 66,961 times
Default moving back from Sweden to Louisiana Response

I lived in Europe all my life. So, I can undersatnd your concern about an American education. Of course, you are not going to get better education in the US than in Europe-because many places in Europe pay for your education-so, money is not a stress factor. Coming to America or coming back to America is a shock period. I have been to FL, GA, TX, LA, AR, MS, NY, NJ, DC,and many other places. If you go by the way people speak from up North they would feel that people from the South sound uneducated because of the twang or draw in the speech. But, that does not mean anything. I'm sure everyone knows someone who does not speak very well, is an under dog...and is smarter than anyone around them. But, because people put that person down or pick at them no one would ever know how smart they really are. It doesn't matter where you are from it is where you are at. Everyone can bring something great to Louisiana. The education is not that great but, it's at certain schools-certain areas. And the way I see it...we have to pay taxes to the schools and education system period. Make the teachers teach your child. Hold them accountible for your childs' education.

As for a soccer team.....one of the director's of my firm is a soccer coach-so I know we have soccer here in Louisiana. As for ice hockey....hmm haven't seen much ice in Louisiana. Check the net....you never know.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherell View Post
I lived in Europe all my life. So, I can undersatnd your concern about an American education. Of course, you are not going to get better education in the US than in Europe-because many places in Europe pay for your education-so, money is not a stress factor. Coming to America or coming back to America is a shock period. I have been to FL, GA, TX, LA, AR, MS, NY, NJ, DC,and many other places. If you go by the way people speak from up North they would feel that people from the South sound uneducated because of the twang or draw in the speech. But, that does not mean anything. I'm sure everyone knows someone who does not speak very well, is an under dog...and is smarter than anyone around them. But, because people put that person down or pick at them no one would ever know how smart they really are. It doesn't matter where you are from it is where you are at. Everyone can bring something great to Louisiana. The education is not that great but, it's at certain schools-certain areas. And the way I see it...we have to pay taxes to the schools and education system period. Make the teachers teach your child. Hold them accountible for your childs' education.

As for a soccer team.....one of the director's of my firm is a soccer coach-so I know we have soccer here in Louisiana. As for ice hockey....hmm haven't seen much ice in Louisiana. Check the net....you never know.
Sherell, Good luck with whatever you do.My opinion is just that mine.I only speak of what i have seen and read.I had a friend who just fot back from Sweden and they loved it there.
Once again Good luck!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud to be American View Post
Sherell, Good luck with whatever you do.My opinion is just that mine.I only speak of what i have seen and read.I had a friend who just fot back from Sweden and they loved it there.
Once again Good luck!
Sorry for the last post i intended it for secowgirl.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:17 PM

13 posts, read 31,871 times
I live here in Louisiana and in the New Orleans area if you like terrible schools,murders everynight and getting drunk this is heaven. This area since Hurricane Katrina is a war zone ! I was born here and am strongly considering moving to Tennesee in the summer. This is no place to raise kids !

Old 01-26-2007, 12:51 PM

63 posts, read 547,491 times
I am wondering why you want to come back to Louisiana? Have you been to Louisiana lately? Are you missing the area or relatives? I am from the westbank. I am now living in Newnan,Ga due to Hurricane Katrina. My children are doing well here and are in great schools. There was one murder last year in our county. Before Katrina hit there had been several murders on the westbank. I miss home very much and I visit at least every 4 months, but the quality of life is better here. If I were in Sweden I would stay there and just visit Louisiana. You could come for Jazz Fest and Christmas or Mardi Gras or for a summer vacation. My oldest son was home schooled for several years then when to Jesuit for High School. He went to college at 15 without any problem. I want to live abroad because I know that there is a better quality of live in many areas. On the education issue Mississippi is always last after Louisiana.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 PM

56 posts, read 212,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post

Louisiana has the worst education system as a state, [Admin: personal attack deleted]. Bossier Parish and some of the suburban Baton Rouge area schools are rated among the highest in the state. Louisiana AS A WHOLE isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
Didnt La. rank 49th out of 50 states for education last year?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana