U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2007, 08:34 PM

450 posts, read 1,404,266 times

Advertisements

I will write more. Just got back from a 2 week stay on T-Bend Lake. Some really healthy rains have the big lake at over 168. It has not been that high for a long time. Resort owners are starting to get excited. People on the lake are thinking that the drought may be over. I must say, it looks soooo much better than it did when I visited in September when the lake was at
161. There is now 7 additional vertical feet of water!

And Zwolle, which was supposedly doomed to a landlocked existence is now actually bordering the water! I still can't get over those nay-sayers that insisted that it would never happen. Well, go and take a look, now! My property on the north end of the lake looks pretty good. I will even have to worry about bank erosion if it should rise another 2-3 feet.

For you future retirees, the most promising little town is Many. It is right between Nachitoches and Toledo Town on the lake. Of course, Natchitoches is a major retirement center with amenties like a college, historic homes, medical center--and a Starbucks! Not that I am that crazy about being able to get a latte but it is a sign of development.

But just 30+ miles west going toward the lake is the county seat of Sabine Patrish, Many. That is pronounced Man-ee. I have seen alot of small towns and this one has all the makings of becoming the center of a lake resort corridor stretching 10 miles to the lake at the Pendleton Bridge. Has only about 3,000 people, now. Very quaint downtown on a hill. Center of activity is the local Walmart. But not a super Walmart. A really neat store called Nichols has interior design items along with a huge hunting gear department. I got boots and hunting cap to go with my Shreveport airport rented forest green KIA SUV. Yes, you can get along with a passenger car, but many country side roads say pickup or higher axle vehicle.

Weather over the Christmas holiday was fantastic. A few days of rain, but great days of bright sun shining on the pine and oak trees and water. Felt like Indian Summer in New England. Does get hot in the Summer. That is why I am on the main big lake with the exposure to the southern breezes. Everyday there was a nice breeze off the lake on my land. Course it can come from the Northwest in the winter when it does get cold. Very rare for it not to rebound into the 50s and 60s after a brief cold snap.

Zwolle? That is a really small town. But the highway is being four-laned between it and Many. That is another corridor of future development. Zwolle has a Weyerhauser mill that does not appear to pollute and does not smell like some pulp mills. There is a small bank in Zwolle that has the feel of money from oil, gas and timber found to the north moving towards Desoto Parish. Not to mention some retirees with a bit of scratch.

I went briefly over to the Texas side of T-Bend. No income tax there, but property taxes are higher. Well, as you can see I can boost this area forever. One final thing. If it is amenities you seek and need--live in Nachitoches and visit your lake place on T-Bend. It is cheap enough down here to have the place in town and a retreat on the lake. But if you do not mind smaller towns and are willing to stick around and watch the development come to you--this is the place!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM

39 posts, read 151,756 times
There's a Starbucks in Natchitoches? I live here and didn't even know LOL.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:57 PM

450 posts, read 1,404,266 times
Default Natchitoches Starbucks

Sockmonkey--I was told there was a Starbucks by someone who lives in Toledo Town near the Pendleton Bridge. Sooo--I did not actually see it. Maybe this person was mistaken or it is someplace that serves Starbucks but it is in another store?

But you have got to admit Natchitoches is the best retirement site in the area for so-called cultural amenities. Admittedly, I am no expert on your town. It took me a long time to get the pronunciation--Nack-ah-dish--sort of like that.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 PM

772 posts, read 3,163,162 times
According to Starbucks' website there isn't one. Maybe it's as Kurt said, a place that serves Starbucks coffee. The Barnes & Noble in Shreveport serves Starbucks even though it's not considered part of the Starbucks chain, so this may be the same kind of situation in Natchitoches.

But sockmonkey70, rest assured when you move north to Shreveport, no matter which part of the city you live in, you'll be no more than 5-10 minutes from a Starbucks. We have 6 right now, with two more about to open in the very near future (one downtown and another in north Bossier) and many more planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana