Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 02:48 AM

4 posts, read 18,905 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I am a grad student from New Jersey going to Tulane Law in New Orleans. Does anyone have any 'tips' that I can and should follow when I live down in the South? What's the humor like? What are the accents/dialects like? Whatever, anything about anything will certainly help me and anyone else adjust for the next three or more (hopefully!) years. So any input about anything is needed.

I would honestly appreciate candid responses more than anything.. . I am able to find enough jokes about the issue on Google (which apparently has to do with bacon?!?).

So.. any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 02:52 AM

4 posts, read 18,905 times
^ Follow up ^

I already made list on the things I need to watch out for.
1. Slow down my accent - being in New Jersey all your life makes you speak rather quickly.
2. Respect Southern History(?) - being a student of history, I know a little more than the average person on American history.
3. ? I don't know what else.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:16 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,421 times
New Orleans is a very diverse range of cultures. youll see plenty of caribbean/creole people, lots of french, a good bit of spanish and other cultures. Honestly I dont htink you should have too much trouble fitting in as they are used to visitors from out of state and country. Humor can get rather racy and offensive so be aware of that. For one example I got a tshirt in a bourbon street store that said "I stayed in New Orleans for Katrina and all I got was this Tshirt a new cadillac and a plasma TV" (referring to looting)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of: