Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM

63 posts, read 279,594 times

Advertisements

HI. I am wondering what is the best cell phone company for coverage and prices and also what about car insurance? Cable or dish? Any good values anyone care to pass on info. about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayle View Post
HI. I am wondering what is the best cell phone company for coverage and prices and also what about car insurance? Cable or dish? Any good values anyone care to pass on info. about?
For cell phone, I knew someone who was with Centenial who had problems with the (lack of) service. Maybe give Sprint a try - they're OK here in BR.

As to car insurance, I had great luck when I switched to AIG. Because State Farm and Allstate (to me) are to big to really be interested in competing for business.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:13 PM

22 posts, read 104,499 times
For cell phone service, I say At&t/cingular is best. They have really good coverage and don't continually make you renew contract each time you want to change your plan type. I had Centennial years ago and had very bad customer service. Since At&t combined with Cingular and now Dish Network too, and fast DSL service. You can bundle your services and get a pretty good deal. You can even get them to send you $50. cash back checks and get discounts off your bill. Works for me.....

Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 AM

29 posts, read 125,541 times
When we were visiting, we had Sprint and AT&T - had zero reception problems with either phone. IMO, Sprint's customer service has gone down hill in the past year or so. I just canceled our contract with them because of a huge billing error that they refused to correct.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:19 PM

Default nextel?

everyone doesnt' use nextel there-they sure do in FL-and they radio each other in public no matter who else is around listening!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:02 AM

Default whaqt about cable? Internet? etc..

What is the best TV-we currently use dish. What about High speed internet? Do people in LA. use nextel a lot? What about Tmobile-Verizon? Anyone tried those?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 9,678 times
i have to totally disagree wiht the cellphone rec. At&T and centennial have to be the top 2. i have centennial since 10 yrs and satisified. yes i do get not so good customer service but every company iMO has bad service-. centennial beats at&t IMO bc of the free incoming calls and text!!!! coverage is good. matter of fact during katrina i had friends who were ouyt of service with at &t for a few days. and a few had progblems during gustav with at&t. nextel, sprint, tmobile,vorizon-stay away

as far as cable-i say stay away and go with directv. i prefer directv than dishnet.

insurance-i have had state farm for 11 yrs and coverage is excellent and price-noone can touch.

internet-at&t-with no comparison

Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 AM

22 posts, read 104,499 times
Default att

You are right about the problems with att after the storm. I too had bad cell reception for the days following. Honestly I almost quit them myself due to losing our home service and them fooling around on restoring it...
It is hard to beat their deals though. For one, I love that you don't have to continue contracts with them like the others, I have been out of contract with them for the longest...so if they do make me mad I am in control. I just buy our phones from ebay (new in box) as long as they are unlocked or an att/cingular phone there is no problem...
Secondly you just can't beat their bundled services. We have dsl with att and it is great. Soo much less expensive than any other compariable internet service that I have found. Also, they are with dish network too now, so you can bundle that too and get little discounts. It really is hard to beat their prices and services...I've checked around. I do find that the wireless service and customer service has gone down hill since att took over cingular...
I have been with State Farm for my car/home insurance for at least 12 years now and have yet to find better prices too.... Make sure you have a great agent too, that means alot. I recently had to change offices/agents.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:33 AM

AIG? Can they still underwrite? Aren t' they going under? What is happening to their policy holders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana