U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:58 AM

182 posts, read 775,519 times

Advertisements

agordida: the weather will be a bit different from Boston. Not as much snow altho the northern part of the state sometimes gets some, rarely in the south. You don't say what kind of job you do, it sounds like you are fairly flexible.. New Orleans is like Boston in that there is a strong Catholic presence there. If you can go down and visit some cities to get a feel for things, that would be the best. New Orleans, Baton Rouge Lafayette, Lake Charles,( southern part) Shreveport, Monroe and Alexandria.
I grew up in New Orleans, am living in Florida and am thinking of moving up to Connecticut to be closer to my daughter. I've thought about moving back to n.o. but right now, that doesn't look feasible for me. Housing is an issue, I don't think I'd be happy living outside of the city...... I LOVE Boston but I know it is very expensive to live there. I personally would not move to La. from Boston but you need to weigh all the factors involved.
Good Luck!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM

22 posts, read 148,649 times
Default it all depends on where and what you are looking for...

North and South Louisiana are totally different. North LA is more Baptist and dry- no culture or personality.
South Louisiana- ok, lets divide again...BR is as BLAH as it gets with the exception of LSU...We love our sports and we love our TIGERS!!!! Don't wear your hometown threads here....St Francisville area (West Feliciana PArish) has some of the only good public schools in the state- well, Lafayette Parish public schools are decent. Lafayette, in my opinion, is the best place to live in the state. It has amazing people, a great cajun culture, good schools, a fantastic university, and is a pretty safe place. It has about 110 K people. The downside to it is there is VERY little housing....there are more people looking for houses than there are developments since the hurricanes...oh yeah, hurricanes... that's another downside. If you are into small towns, St. Francisville is wonderful. Other than the two, stay where you are!! Baton Rouge is one of the greatest disappointing cities I know of....all talk and no substance.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 52,459 times
Post Relocating to Lafayette area

My husband has just been offered position that will allow us to move to the Lafayette area. He will travel to service centers in the southern areas. So we are not tied down to one area. We are in need of some information on a safe, residential to live. It will be quite a change for us as we are leaving the Phoenix area of dry heat, culture, traffic and friends. We would like to be close to shopping and of course fishing. Thanks

Old 02-24-2007, 08:43 AM

104 posts, read 802,707 times
Hi, I am from Louisiana, born in Shreveport. I have been gone now for 10 years due to husbands job. He is retiring at the end of this summer and we are trying to decide where to live. We have lived in Louisiana, Florida, Missouri, North Dakota, Ohio and Guam. We are most likely going back to the Shreveport/Bossier area. Yes, there is crime but there is crime everywhere. You just have be smart. The Shreveport area has really grown. They have the gambling boats and the river walk. Louisiana is great for fishing and hunting. The weather is HOT! So, be prepared for that. For the most people are nice.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 83,499 times
The truth of it is that generally one is happy where one lives if one is happy in the first place...lol... Love where you live; it is afterall, your life. I can't imagine hating where I live. I live in Zachary, LA but consider the whole of Louisiana my home and I love it.

If I can suffer through the heat with these hot flashes, most of the rest have little reason to complain of the weather. Consider how the humidity helps our complexion...Well, I can grow a garden 12 months out of the year.

Crime? - crime is everywhere in this world and has been since Adam.

Schools - Zachary #1 school system, again. I went to a yard sale, last weekend - a 10 year old was doing homework, (on a Saturday) and told me he loved going to school, here. Strange kid but smart as a whip....lol

Friendly people! I have been a tour guide for 20+ years. I have been everywhere and we really are the friendliest people, ya'll....
Hospitality is a real concept here - not just an act for tourists.

At least come for a visit. See some sights and experience a little joy of life.

Laissez les bon temps roulez, ya'll.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:10 PM

4,043 posts, read 5,715,431 times
I apologize if I'm too late and the original poster has already made a decision one way or another.

From my personal experience, living in or very near Baton Rouge or New Orleans is the only way to go here. I have to say that what I've heard in reference to Lafayette from others has been overwhelmingly positive, though.

New Orleans is an amazingly diverse city, I've found. I have some amount of faith that it will persevere even after the harsh blow it suffered with Katrina. I really think there's something for everyone there. I feel the same way about Baton Rouge, where I've spent much of my time. It lacks the distinct personality New Orleans has, but there is enough going on and enough diversity in the population to keep me interested, personally. I don't really understand the assertion that it's bland, but I might be a little different from most, not being interested in the night life so much and all.

I would strongly advise against moving to north Louisiana. I've had plenty of relatives and friends experience it, and the term "backwards" hardly suffices.

In reference to the last poster's commentary on Zachary...I'm going to have to disagree on some accounts. Zachary schools have technically ranked as #1 for two years, I understand, but one has to consider that the community has a very small number of schools to worry with. St. Tammany Parish has consistently shown us high test scores from their public school students, and the number of schools they have is far greater. Ever since Zachary formed its own school system apart from East Baton Rouge Parish, this comparison between it and St. Tammany Parish has been unfair to the latter. On one hand, I don't mean to get this specific (you might not even be considering that particular area, or you might be thinking of parochial schools, anyway) but my understanding is that one receives a superior education in the Covington and Mandeville public schools (these are suburbs of New Orleans). As a former student of the Zachary schools, I have extremely mixed feelings. I had some outstanding teachers, no doubt... but many who were terrible. I find the town itself and its mentality insufferable. I understand that countless small towns in Louisiana (and across America) are characterized by this insular mindset.

Networking with others in one or another has shown me that Louisiana remains about a decade (sometimes less depending on the area) behind the rest of the country and the world. Of course, this is due to unfortunate events in history going back a few hundred years, at least, and so I can't really point fingers. But I have to say that if this isn't what you're used to, what's in your blood, you might find it isn't for you at all.

Yes indeed, I have found some exceptionally friendly and giving people here, people who aren't hardened and are willing to help out a stranger. But I do have to add that some of those same people would turn away if the person who wished for their help or friendship happened to be a member of a minority group. And many will be quite vocal about it, too.

Right now I'm happy where I am...don't get me wrong. I was born and bred here and it's a part of me, but I have serious doubts that others who are not accustomed to it can grow to love it.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 47,942 times
Thumbs up Place you might consider looking into if relocating to southern louisiana

Loreauville, Louisiana is a small Town with decent public schools. People are friendly and living is affordable. You also have Lake Dautrieve which leads to the Basin. Plenty of seafood and good game hunting. Big town of New Iberia is just 10 minutes down the road and Lafayette is about 25 minutes to the northern end.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 PM

169 posts, read 639,126 times
Default If you cant say anthing good..

well...Food is good, interesting architecture, nice place to visit. Is that all? Probably. I lived there my entire life and just moved to CO last year. All I can say is I wish I had moved away years ago - much better quality of life.

I still have family there so it is still "home", but other than family I can't think of a reason to live there (or visit once you have had your fill of Mardi Gras as I have). Like I said probably a good place to visit but... Sorry...

EDIT: BTW I agree most of what 'buildings_and_bridges' said about LA - if you live there it seems 'normal' however after living elsewhere I can tell you it is not. I doubt I would have left if not for getting up the nerve to 'give it a try and see what happens'. ALSO it is not a living hell as some others have hinted at - there are just (in my mind) much better places to live if you have the choice. Either way good luck with your decision.

Last edited by bproven; 06-22-2007 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-24-2007, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 50,051 times
I don't know how anyone can bash their home like that. I have wayyyy too much southern pride than that. Guess that's because I'm a true southerner and couldn't picture living anywhere BUT the south. North Carolina is as northern as I'd go.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:49 PM

76 posts, read 490,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bproven View Post
well...Food is good, interesting architecture, nice place to visit. Is that all? Probably. I lived there my entire life and just moved to CO last year. All I can say is I wish I had moved away years ago - much better quality of life.

I still have family there so it is still "home", but other than family I can't think of a reason to live there (or visit once you have had your fill of Mardi Gras as I have). Like I said probably a good place to visit but... Sorry...

EDIT: BTW I agree most of what 'buildings_and_bridges' said about LA - if you live there it seems 'normal' however after living elsewhere I can tell you it is not. I doubt I would have left if not for getting up the nerve to 'give it a try and see what happens'. ALSO it is not a living hell as some others have hinted at - there are just (in my mind) much better places to live if you have the choice. Either way good luck with your decision.
You can learn a lot from the statistics for the people who have applied for Road Home grants. The overwhelming majority of people who have applied will remain the metro area. However, the number who have left the state exceeds the number who have relocated elsewhere in Louisiana-that is stunning. It is obvious that many feel that if they aren't going to remain in their home area, then they will say good riddance to Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana