U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2008, 03:32 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,743,374 times

Advertisements

here in North MS we are also experiencing clouds from Gustav if you can believe it! So this thing is huge, and even though it is getting ragged, don't doubt for a second that it wont gain strength again. IF you have not left, please do so guys, this thing is a monster.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 04:28 PM

15,219 posts, read 17,920,023 times
I think the president of St Benard Parish said it in a nut shell.

"If you stay, you will be on your own."

If you are still in the danger zone and reading this, GET OUT WHILE THERE IS STILL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM

14 posts, read 27,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronilla View Post
Yep, Ill be sticking it out in the Westbank and in Lutcher... (working in Lutcher, live in WB). Im going to call my work and they will put me up in Lutcher if need be... if it hits west, Lutcher wont be the best place to be I guess..... Best of luck to everyone! Bless you all!
Please be careful. I am from the other side of the River from Lutcher (St. James), I hope you do not live near the Levee in Lutcher! I live on the WB now we have evacuated!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,598,263 times
I just want to say I hope everyone gets out of the danger zone in one piece

For the record: my state (Arizona) is also sending emergency crews to help the Louisiana authorities in dealing with the (hopefully nonexistent) aftermath.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:50 PM

794 posts, read 2,340,767 times
It has gotten dark here in BTR. A little rain came through, but nothing of any consequence. I think we're expecting the onslaught to begin after midnight and continue through the day tomorrow. I'll be sticking it out here and I'll be sitting here bored watching tv and be on the internet until I lose power. Then I'll listen to the radio and maybe try to sleep through the rest of it.
Any consolation, I had a very nice bbq with the extended family today; an early Labor Day. Might as well cook everything before electricity goes out and it all spoils.
It feels wierd when you're out and about in this city and there are chinook helicopters flying back and forth above the city, obviously evacuating special needs evacuees from NOLA. It feels like Katrina all over again. But I will say that traffic moved through here a lot smoother this time for the evacuation.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:54 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,247,842 times
Default Hurricane Gustav Update

HURRICANE GUSTAV UPDATE

Ok, I was just looking at some weather sites and I thought I would post an update on the hurricane. Right now it is a Category 3 Hurricane with winds up to 115 mph. It is headed northwest and the winds are about to hit the tip of Louisiana. At 7:00 P.M. CDT, it was 260 miles from New Orleans. This storm is suppose to be REALLY bad and it is HUGE. New Orleans is basically shut down. The hurricane will make landfall Monday.

Anybody that is still in New Orleans or anywhere on the coast needs to evacuate immediately or find a shelter. On the news, they said you can call 211 for shelter information.

Our thoughts are with everybody on the coast. Please be safe!

DFW8
Dallas

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_sat.jpg (broken link)

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_5day.gif (broken link)

-Citation Weather Underground Tropical Storm: 5 Day Forecast Map : Weather Underground

Last edited by $DFW8$; 08-31-2008 at 08:08 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 07:58 PM

9,049 posts, read 16,465,838 times
I live in Alabama and I have been seeing National Guard trucks go by my house all day. I'm not sure where they are all going, but there have been lots of them.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:56 PM

12 posts, read 49,307 times
I really am not getting the whole 'I'm going to stay here and stick it out' thing. If you guess a place you are going to stay won't be the best place, or you are expecting electricity to go out, why wouldn't you just leave for a day or two to avoid serious risk? I rather leave for nothing than stay for something.

Well, regardless, the news says it is too late to leave NOLA now and Public Safety was told not to respond to requests for help. I really hope you remain safe.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 PM

794 posts, read 2,340,767 times
Everything in Baton Rouge is shut down now. The airport closes at midnight although I believe the last flight is heading out now.
Also, for those in the general area, WAFB just said they will simulcast on 100.7fm starting at 6am. This is good news to know in case power goes out. Of course there's always WJBO 1150am as well, which I do prefer. I'm sure WWL 870 in NOLA will provide its typical excellent coverage as well.
I imagine the window of opportunity to evacuate has come and gone in NOLA. Best thing to do now is hunker down.
We had some small tornados just go through between BTR and Hammond, one somewhere around Blue Bayou Waterpark (they said Highland at Perkins). It's probably best not to be out on the road at all anymore.
People are being told to expect a pretty decent storm surge through Lake Maurepas and up the Amite and Blind Rivers. That covers most of Ascension and lower Livingston. It is amazing how far that water can go inland, especially when the terrain is so flat.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:08 AM

45,118 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Everything in Baton Rouge is shut down now. The airport closes at midnight although I believe the last flight is heading out now.
Also, for those in the general area, WAFB just said they will simulcast on 100.7fm starting at 6am. This is good news to know in case power goes out. Of course there's always WJBO 1150am as well, which I do prefer. I'm sure WWL 870 in NOLA will provide its typical excellent coverage as well.
I imagine the window of opportunity to evacuate has come and gone in NOLA. Best thing to do now is hunker down.
We had some small tornados just go through between BTR and Hammond, one somewhere around Blue Bayou Waterpark (they said Highland at Perkins). It's probably best not to be out on the road at all anymore.
People are being told to expect a pretty decent storm surge through Lake Maurepas and up the Amite and Blind Rivers. That covers most of Ascension and lower Livingston. It is amazing how far that water can go inland, especially when the terrain is so flat.
Great info - keep posting if you are able! Hope you don't lose your power for too long and that the winds aren't too scary!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana