Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:08 PM

264 posts, read 1,150,994 times

Advertisements

Hi. Iv'e been thinking, now with the cold weather, of some place warmer to live. Memphis' winters aint too bad, but Ive been looking at some of the temperatures down in LA, and wow, have yall got it made.lol. Probably not serious, just wondering if I did end up moving, it would probably be farther south. Anyways, I was looking at the Florida Parishes? Tangipahoa, Washington, St Tammany, and Livingston. Thinking about Ponchatoula, Springfield, Mandeville, Pearl River, Bogalusa even. These look like some good places, crime-wise, demographically, and population-wise- I was looking for a more rural town and area like I have up here, outside Memphis. St. Tammany looked like it had larger, more expensive, more suburban-like towns, but i dont know. Ive passed through the area probably four times? lol, on my way to New Orleans. How are schools in these areas by the way? Oh, and how are these areas doing lately, after Katrina? Still overpopulated and stuff? Hope things are better for yall... Well any help would be greatly appreciated.
Looking for some place warmer,
TN-rox

Last edited by leorah; 12-07-2008 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: removed mod request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 AM

167 posts, read 864,301 times
St Tammany Parish is not rural, especially Mandeville/Madisonville/Covington area. It is definitely hot and humid and the schools are great. I grew up in Mandeville and when I go back to visit the folks, I see lots of new neighborhoods filling in all the wooded gaps and traffic bottlenecked at every stoplight. You may want to look further north into Washington Parish. There are still some areas there that are farming communities, but also some new development. I am not really sure about their school system these days. I am also not sure about the crime. I know that there were some isolated incidents after Katrina, but I haven't heard anything lately about this being a problem. Overall, the whole vicinity is warm and friendly and welcoming. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by mezzogirl; 12-09-2008 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-04-2009, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,516 times
STAY AWAY from Ponchatoula! Unless you want to live among uneducated, white-trash that perpetuates this degenerative cycle by teaching their kids that cheating is acceptable. Ask their recreation and high school coaches; they are the biggest culprits. How these parents can cheer on their teams, knowing that their girls are lying about their ages is beyond me. Pathetic!

And no one considers Ponchatoula as part of the Northshore.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
^^sounds like someone has a personal vendetta.

TN, most of the places in the Florida parishes have acceptable school systems. I personally really like the area. But if heat is what you want, you will find it there. St. Tammany is considered suburban New Orleans, but more recently it has begun to hold its own.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:05 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
St. Tammany Parish suffered a LOT of damage from Katrina. The surge coming up out of the lake ran from about 1 ft at the Causeway to 20+ in Slidell. The whole lakefront area in Mandeville was smashed for several blocks.

Just keep that in mind before you decide to move down there. Katrina may have been a unique storm in many regards, but it was still just a hurricane and it won't be the last.

Bogalusa? Only if you love the smell of paper mills.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
St. Tammany Parish suffered a LOT of damage from Katrina. The surge coming up out of the lake ran from about 1 ft at the Causeway to 20+ in Slidell. The whole lakefront area in Mandeville was smashed for several blocks.

Just keep that in mind before you decide to move down there. Katrina may have been a unique storm in many regards, but it was still just a hurricane and it won't be the last.

Bogalusa? Only if you love the smell of paper mills.
But still, St. Tammany has recovered from Katrina, and has done so much faster than any other parish in the region.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
But still, St. Tammany has recovered from Katrina, and has done so much faster than any other parish in the region.

Yes, it has recovered pretty well, but the point is that another hurricane will come through sooner or later and wreck the place again. Of course, that's true anywhere along the Gulf Coast, but it's something which shouldn't be ignored when deciding where to re-locate. After all, it's not a case of IF you get slammed by a major storm, but WHEN.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:01 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, it has recovered pretty well, but the point is that another hurricane will come through sooner or later and wreck the place again. Of course, that's true anywhere along the Gulf Coast, but it's something which shouldn't be ignored when deciding where to re-locate. After all, it's not a case of IF you get slammed by a major storm, but WHEN.
I've noticed (in Mandeville anyway) a lot of the shouses close to the lake now are built on concrete piers/are elevated. So that helps some.

The hurricane risk is something that affects the entire Gulf Coast; the question is; would you have a hurricane make landfall near NO again ? Because THAT is when St Tammany would be especially vulnerable.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I've noticed (in Mandeville anyway) a lot of the shouses close to the lake now are built on concrete piers/are elevated. So that helps some.

The hurricane risk is something that affects the entire Gulf Coast; the question is; would you have a hurricane make landfall near NO again ? Because THAT is when St Tammany would be especially vulnerable.

Well, the Old Farmer's Almanac is predicting one in the LA/MS region in late August or early September. They're generally pretty good with their long-term forecasts.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Regardless, other parishes on the southshore would kill to have the elevation of most areas in St. Tammany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana