Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:57 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,443,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonybird View Post
Nope nope nope. <G>
If you do decide to take I-10 west, DO NOT take it to Lafayette. Too many crazy drivers, plus it's actually farther. Go through Baton Rouge, and when you get off the Baton Rouge Mississippi River Bridge, take Hwy 415 towards Lobdell. After "about" 5 miles or so, you will exit on Hwy 190, west. The exit will actually veer to the left. You will go through some small towns, and you will have to watch your speed, but it's shorter and nicer, and prettier. Plus, there is a place in Krotz Springs, Billy's, that has the BEST boudin balls and cracklins! Gotta try them! Hwy 190 will take you to I-49.

And as for speed traps, they really aren't, because if people would drive the speed limit they wouldn't get tickets. <G>
Krotz Springs and Port Barre you need to watch for (regarding speed traps). Livonia sometimes has the cop out, and I've never (oops, I jinxed it now ) seen a cop in Erwinville.

The thing about I-10 over the swamp, too, is that there are wrecks there that snarl traffic just enough to where you can't be 100% sure you can make it to Lafayette without incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,897,165 times
The thought of food makes me hungry, which is good. I like to try new things and after googling the boudin balls and cracklins, these two would definely be items of interest to try.

At this point, I am leaning towards taking I-10/I-12 to Baton Rouge and head up on US 61 to St. Francisville and would would like to see the plantation in that vicinity that is a state park and head up to Natchez or Vicksburg and stop on either one and head west on I-20.

I have nixed the idea of taking I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette due to being impractical. If I went west of BR, I would take the suggested 190 route. Issues with cops being sticklers on speed limits and speed traps is similar to some areas in South Dakota (a couple of towns near where I live) and I will have to be cautious in that regard.

The route north of Baton Rouge seems to make the most sense at this point, although I am curious about how the traffic is. If I took that option, would I be better off with taking I-12 to Airline Highway and up to I-110 that leads to US 61 or take I-12 to I-10 and then take I-110 up to US 61?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,663,257 times
Well, Airline Highway in Baton Rouge has alot of lights, and you will be stopped at lights in a few not so good parts of town, but you shouldn't have any problems. Depending on the time of day, it may be quicker/easier to get on I-110 directly from I-10 near downtown.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,897,165 times
If I go west to Baton Rouge, as opposed to heading NW of Gulfport to Jackson, I would arrive there around 10 AM (and would try to time it to avoid the morning rush hour).

Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Hmmm, 10 AM you say. If there aren't any crazy accidents (a possibility) you should do alright going either Airline or I-110. If you aren't planning to make any stops, I would just go ahead and try for I-110. It may not be the most direct, but no stop lights, plus it gets you off of the ground in the seedier parts of town.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM

794 posts, read 3,343,564 times
If you're coming thru BTR, then take I-110. You'll get to see the city and the state capitol at least. I make it a point to basically drive through city CBDs just to do so.
If you're going up US 61, the drive should be fine. It's four lane most of the way. BTR to St. Francisville probably has the most traffic along the entire route, except for within Natchez itself.
In Natchez, you can get on the Trace and take that north to Port Gibson (MS-18) or on to Utica (MS-27) and then heading into Vicksburg. It's a fairly scenic route.
Non-stop the trip to Vicksburg from BTR takes about 3 hours (+/- 15 minutes). You could easily spend a few hours in Natchez and probably another 1-2 hours exploring areas along the Trace during the daytime.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,978 times
what is there to do between new orleans and BR

Old 03-29-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharris117 View Post
what is there to do between new orleans and BR
Not much in between. Mostly swamps. Towards Baton Rouge in Ascension Parish there is the Tanger Outlet, which has alot of stores. There's also a Cabela's, which is like Bass Pro Shop. Venturing off of the interstate, you can find some plantation houses.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 AM

420 posts, read 472,686 times
I-20 is nuthin but trees between cities and towns. The traffic is never ever bad though

Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM

794 posts, read 3,343,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Not much in between. Mostly swamps. Towards Baton Rouge in Ascension Parish there is the Tanger Outlet, which has alot of stores. There's also a Cabela's, which is like Bass Pro Shop. Venturing off of the interstate, you can find some plantation houses.
Yeah, hit plantation row on the River Road. Otherwise, there really isn't a whole heck of a lot, minus Gonzales.
There is Middendorf's seafood restaurant in Manchac between NOLA and Hammond on I-55. Great food. Open Wed - Sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana