Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:40 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,320,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlikingit View Post
i feel that the whole state of Louisiana is unlike anywhere else in the whole country. The northern part is very interesting and has true Louisiana cajun culture and food. the southern part like new orleans is city like, and has a culture that is different with partying great music, and interesting things to do and some fine restaurants. I do feel that the state seems to have ways that they do things different from other parts of the country. though i really do not know much about Arkansas. I feel Louisiana IS DIFFERENT THAN TEXAS.
East Texas has and shares some similarities to Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,320,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
There's nothing, at all, Cajun about Northern Louisiana. It is Anglo and Protestant just like East Texas, Mississippi and Arkansas.
There are many Spanish/French/Creole/Latin parts of East Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, and West Florida.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:33 AM

6 posts, read 19,426 times
The North and South are quite different. Then there's Cenla (Central Louisiana) Alexandria, Natchitoches, etc. These are very interesting places. I'd say they're both more similar to Baton Rouge, maybe because they're along I-49.

I understand that New Orleans wants to be very unique and it is, but trust me there are a lot place in Louisiana with a lot of similarities in culture and tradiition. How different can you be 60 miles away? lol.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorSlim View Post
The North and South are quite different. Then there's Cenla (Central Louisiana) Alexandria, Natchitoches, etc. These are very interesting places. I'd say they're both more similar to Baton Rouge, maybe because they're along I-49.

I understand that New Orleans wants to be very unique and it is, but trust me there are a lot place in Louisiana with a lot of similarities in culture and tradiition. How different can you be 60 miles away? lol.
Cenla is usually grouped up with north Louisiana. Especially Natchitoches.

Baton Rouge and New Orleans are completely different, so are New Orleans and Biloxi. Doesn't sound like you are from here.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
Cajun country is....a whole 'nother country. LOL Wouldn't want to live there.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Cajun country is....a whole 'nother country. LOL Wouldn't want to live there.
What's your point?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM

974 posts, read 2,184,414 times
FWIW... I've found the Lafayette, LA area to be quite hospitable and most folks are friendly. It's not a place I personally would relocate to as I prefer a more metropolitan setting. I've had friends locate there and move back because of work...their take is that if you aren't related to anyone or have a family-base there, you can feel a bit isolated but it's not unfriendly as much as it is "you're not from here" feeling. I think that's true of most places though...especially if you're like me and not a parent with kids in sports or big in church activities.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yattycathy View Post
North La and south La are very very different. I find north La to be more quiet, religious, slow and laid back way of life. More "countrified".

South La more open minded and more partying, later nights, better restaurants and overall more fun if you like action.
Very true..Fla, NY and Ca are similar examples, especially where Large cities such as Los Angeles, Miami and NYC set the tones for their respective parts of the state.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:52 PM

500 posts, read 358,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
you know, Louisianians have cars and go other places too. I know thats hard to believe...I mean, we all wrestle alligators and eat raccoons, so we probably cant drive.
Well, not ALL of you !

Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,287,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
Yes, it will be ULM! Thanks you for the congrats. I still yet may get more foundation scholarships. I have a younger half brother that lives in winnsboro and his family told me it was over all a good school and a nice town. However, his mothern and step father went to school there lol, so can anyone give me and comments on monroe? I'll be staying on campus, and thanks guys for all your input on this thread.
Southeastern, the third largest university in the state, is about twice the size of ULM; because of the sheer size, it has more amenities. Southeastern is known for its Business, Nursing, and Education programs. ULM for its pharmacy program. Southeastern's campus is beautiful with large oaks, new dorms, and a gorgeous student center. Hammond is in a much better location than Monroe, IMO. Hammond is a lovely, well laid out town that is close to Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The Northshore area is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. Not been impressed with Monroe on my visits there. Although the per capita income is a little higher in Monroe, it looks more impoverished to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana