U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2009, 03:43 PM

4,679 posts, read 4,656,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
New Orleans and the part of Southern Lousiana reminds me a little bit of Florida with minor variations. To me, the humidity of New Orleans and Orlando are similar (very humid) but my seem different those from either one of the cities or who have visited the areas.
On my first visit to New Orleans and my wifes hometown of Cut Off I thought the EXACT same thing. To me, It was Florida circa 1987. Atleast in terms of developement, climate, and the nature surroundings.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,453,556 times
how so? in terms of development

Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 PM

194 posts, read 715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
I live just outside of NYC in northern NJ and have been here all my life except for college in upstate NY and worked in NYC for many years. I can make NO comparison between the cultures/people or accents of NY and New Orleans - they are each their own species and completely individual. From my experiences, NYC people are busy doing their own thing, they don’t have time to get to know you or care to for the most part, doesn’t mean they’re not friendly or rude, just not on their agenda – I did manage to strike up a conversation with a very friendly woman sitting next to my BF and I at a NYC bar this past summer, it turned out that she was originally from Metairie. Outside of NYC in smaller towns further out and upstate, the people are much nicer but I wouldn't call them friendly, it seems that people around here tend to keep to themselves more – if someone is being ‘too’ friendly, the natural reaction is to think that they’re weird or want something. New Orleans, in my experience is much more open, people are very friendly and genuinely interested in conversing with others - laidback is definitely the best description. Naturally there will always be people with attitudes wherever you go, I did find people in Baton Rouge to be even more friendly than those in New Orleans though.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

My online friend is from Metairie- she's very friendly, and outgoing and says so are other people in N.O- Metairie- that's just the culture there. So I find your observations very true.I'm from the midwest, and people in the midwest are more like the way you describe people in NY as being, so for me too, the culture of New Orleans, and people being friendly and open is much different than the midwest where people tend to keep more to themselves.I've never been to N. O to see for myself- but it is not from lack of wanting.

Last edited by summer grace; 01-18-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,396,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer grace View Post
My online friend is from Metairie- she's very friendly, and outgoing and says so are other people in N.O- Metairie- that's just the culture there. So I find your observations very true.I'm from the midwest, and people in the midwest are more like the way you describe people in NY as being, so for me too, the culture of New Orleans, and people being friendly and open is much different than the midwest where people tend to keep more to themselves.I've never been to N. O to see for myself- but it is not from lack of wanting.
I was just in New Orleans last weekend celebrating a roommates Bday. From my past experiences around the area, the people are not only friendly, but of very fun character. While walking in the French quarter, we were approached by a woman in a fake NOPD outfit. At first we were a bit scared, but when she began issuing citations for "having too much fun in the French Quarter with 4 handsome guys/beautiful girls" I knew it was just another great New orleans native demonstrating why that city is so fun to hang out in. It turned out to be a Katrina fundraiser, and we got hats in return for a small donation to the cause. I really love New orleans for things like that. And you can find something to enjoy around just about every corner. I highly recommend you visit it at some point in your life. you wont be disappointed.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:58 PM

32 posts, read 97,047 times
I recently moved to Shreveport/Bossier City (Northern LA) from South Florida...

Shreveport/Bossier seems like Texas to me. While I haven't met many people here other than my co-workers, I feel that this area definately has a great cultural influence from Texas.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 PM

772 posts, read 3,016,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBunster View Post
I recently moved to Shreveport/Bossier City (Northern LA) from South Florida...

Shreveport/Bossier seems like Texas to me. While I haven't met many people here other than my co-workers, I feel that this area definately has a great cultural influence from Texas.
Absolutely. Having lived here most of my life, I agree. While we have "some" Cajun restaurants, crawfish, and a hockey team called the "Mudbugs" (that's crawfish, for those who don't know) most of our influence definitely seems to come from Texas in my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to Shreveport-Bossier. I hope you're enjoying living here.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 PM

32 posts, read 97,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post

Oh, and welcome to Shreveport-Bossier. I hope you're enjoying living here.
Thank you for the welcome.

Initially, I was a little taken aback by the slower pace compared to the Tampa/St. Pete, FL area that I'm from but I got used to the changes. It's now nice not to wake up from gunshots or have hookers and homeless on every corner. The people here are friendlier too... Back home, it was creepy if strangers in stores started chatting with me - here, it's common and friendly.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 PM

154 posts, read 343,403 times
I am leaning going to Hammond, LA. Is it a nice laid back town?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:12 PM

154 posts, read 343,403 times
Haha as soon as I wrote that I got my scholarship to ULM. Ditto the question above for Monroe.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,453,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
On my first visit to New Orleans and my wifes hometown of Cut Off I thought the EXACT same thing. To me, It was Florida circa 1987. Atleast in terms of developement, climate, and the nature surroundings.
elaborate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
Haha as soon as I wrote that I got my scholarship to ULM. Ditto the question above for Monroe.
Congrats on the scholarship, so will it be ULM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana