Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 AM

270 posts, read 584,896 times

Advertisements

Oh heaven forbid you get people in N. Louisiana that follow the truth of scripture. Whatever is this world coming to???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSUInstructor View Post
Totally different. The problem up north is that it is in the "bible belt".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 AM

525 posts, read 896,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Island View Post
I live in north Louisiana. In my opinion it's the difference between night and day. From what I've been told, the people living in the south really don't consider the ones in the north true Louisianans. They say we are just an extension of Arkansas. I'm sure everyone don't feel this way but I know a lot do. I love it down on the coast but mother nature is very angry with that area. I'll just take my chances with her up here. People in the south talk different, cook different { great food}, etc. I know there is a lot of great people in south Louisiana but when we travel down there for high school football playoff games, we also meet some of the rudest people I've ever met. I just hope we don't treat them that way when they come north. We have been called everything you could imagine, spit on, had stuff thrown at us. I'm talking about grown people, not kids. But just going down there to visit or fish, I've never really had any problems. Maybe it's just football fans.
yea I believe it's football it tends to bring out the worst in people.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:43 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,304,935 times
Pretty much SEC football fans.
Saints fans dont treat other fans like that.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,144,563 times
I can't believe people did that because you where from north LA.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 PM

23 posts, read 67,163 times
I would break everything down further to say it is even a culture line between NE LA & NW LA, much less the highly visible differences between the 318 area code and South LA.

I coached & taught in Lake Providence last year just over the levee from MS & 15 mins from the Arkansas line & I can say that Lake Providence being the very middle of the Ark-LA-Miss area is highly patriotic toward Louisiana & takes in no part of the culture of Mississippi. Even Tallulah has enough patriotism in the state that if the nearest Wal-Mart were not in Vicksburg that it would even cause a rift in the culture of Vicksburg between being Jackson-centered & Monroe-centered. I currently live in Vicksburg (while my future missus still lives in LP) & I still choose to drive the extra mileage to Monroe to hang out instead of going around Jackson.

Meanwhile, the culture line to me between NE LA & NW LA is Highway 167 going through Ruston & Winnfield. NE LA has a pinch of Texan culture in Monroe (though the main cultural pull from Louisiana comes from down 65 & 61 in Baton Rouge) while once you pass Ruston or Winnfield (or even the hills behind West Monroe), you get closer into it through Shreveport & Natchitoches.

Otherwise, the GNO Area & SW LA have much more difference from NorthLA than does the BR area IMHO. Outside of the Metro BR area, the cultural pull extends into SW MS (which is pretty much NE LA +a few hills) up to Vicksburg & Lake Providence. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong or if you have anything to further extend my opinion or debate against it.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,169,949 times
totally different. the north (monroe) is like mississippi.
the south (henderson & breaux) like nothing u have ever seen. btw if you speak french only the shop keepers will talk to you, the bayou people think u r an outsider to be avoided.
most bayou people speak patois not parisian french. there are many many dialects. not frendly unless u r pretty young and female.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM

23 posts, read 67,163 times
South LA is indeed about as unique as it gets. I wouldn't be so much to say that all of North MS is like MS. I would say mainstream MS (Jackson, Meridian, Starkville, Laurel) would be more like SP-Bossier, Natchitoches, Ruston, etc. NE LA looks like the MS Delta & is agriculturally alike, but culturally & socioeconomically more like the SW MS counterparts across the River & uphill from them (Natchez, Vicksburg, Port Gibson, Fayette, etc.).

Hattiesburg & Alexandria would be great sister hub cities (ex: Hattiesburg hubs to NO, Jackson to Memphis, Meridian to Birmingham, Mobile, Biloxi & Alexandria hubs to Lafayette, Lake Charles, BR both by Highway 1 through Marksville to Port Allen or 28 & 84 to Ferriday & down 61).

Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,514,455 times
I live in Shreveport and can say it's probably the most like Texas than any other part of the state. The Monroe area has a college feel to it, so does Natchitoches. However, they all still feel pretty rednecky to me. It's not until you get into the BR or NO city limits (or suburbs of NO) when you get that real feel of a culture shift.

For the record I absolutely LOVE New Orleans. It's really like no other place I've ever seen

Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 AM

432 posts, read 1,081,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
It's not until you get into the BR or NO city limits (or suburbs of NO) when you get that real feel of a culture shift.
Don't discount the cultural shift when entering the Acadiana region. Heck, there are cultural shifts WITHIN the Acadiana region!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,407,711 times
Quote:
As for selfish- in Alex or Leesville I will try to cross the street (as in leaving a store and going to my parking space) with my two children in a double stroller and I have to make sure no one is coming. This happens everytime. I have NEVER experienced this anywhere before.
I would think that's the sensible thing to do wherever you're crossing a street with a stroller!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana