Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 PM

154 posts, read 531,951 times

Advertisements

Yes, it will be ULM! Thanks you for the congrats. I still yet may get more foundation scholarships. I have a younger half brother that lives in winnsboro and his family told me it was over all a good school and a nice town. However, his mothern and step father went to school there lol, so can anyone give me and comments on monroe? I'll be staying on campus, and thanks guys for all your input on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 PM

32 posts, read 160,539 times
so can anyone give me and comments on monroe?

I believe that there is a paper mill in Monroe (but I'm not sure). From time to time, I detect the smell of fermenting yeast with a hint of burning wood in the air and I live 2 hours away. The scent was magnified a great degree when I drove through Monroe and it reminded me of being near a paper mill. Living near a paper mill can be extremely gross until you get used to it. If you find yourself in Monroe, find the source of the Monroe Stench and obtain housing upwind.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM

154 posts, read 531,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBunster View Post
so can anyone give me and comments on monroe?

I believe that there is a paper mill in Monroe (but I'm not sure). From time to time, I detect the smell of fermenting yeast with a hint of burning wood in the air and I live 2 hours away. The scent was magnified a great degree when I drove through Monroe and it reminded me of being near a paper mill. Living near a paper mill can be extremely gross until you get used to it. If you find yourself in Monroe, find the source of the Monroe Stench and obtain housing upwind.
lol I'll do that

Old 02-08-2009, 10:42 AM

420 posts, read 472,686 times
Awwww, What have we here, (turns main light on and grabs glasses or this one!!) A northern and southern Louisiana debate, a Monroe conversation, and a mover.... gotta make this interesting!!!!

(Rolls up sleeves, sips last nites drink from "Mustang Sallys", a college nite club in Funroe aka Monroe)

Ok first of all let me make my comments on the north and southern louisiana. Im gonna simply say this, Southern Louisiana is very, very distinct in the fact that the cultures and customs are very plentiful due to the various migrations throughout history. Thus, it stands out beyond what we kno as the traditional southern atmosphere. Northern Louisiana is the typical south, but where it stands out compared to the rest of the south is people here(northern louisiana) are very......stubborn in there personal ways, historical ways, and political ways like no other state.

No area here in North Louisiana has an overall or predominant atmosphere like the vibes of N.O. and Baton Rouge. Sure if you adopt a certain area of Northern Louisiana its gonna be great as long as you follow in within their ways. I think "NSUinstructor" hit it dead on the head. Once upon a time, St. Francis hospital in Monroe's downtown would secretly create ways not to accept laboring mothers who will have children out of wedlock. The more establish cities or towns are fueding with neighboring towns causing an overall identity crisis when your talking about an individual metro area having an overall atmosphere, like a Lafayette or Baton Rouge. You drive througe their metros u will feel the same vibe through out. You drive throught a Northern metro, it will be vibrant one minute, racist the next, religious a couple of miles down, and country the next. The silly small 200 -1000 population tiny village towns surrounding the bigger cities are due to stubborn ways instead of coming together for some greater, like southern Louisiana. And thats all im gonna say on that.

Monroe......time and time again I defend Monroe, LA to the bone. I have lived here for the majority of my life. Left here, lived in Shreveport(wow, u wanna talk about crime?), family in Baton Rouge(wow, u wanna talk about a foul smelling place?), partied hard in New Orleans(i think N.O. can speak for itself) and thru it all, I have found out that Monroe, LA is the most relaxing, "go getting city" of all Louisiana. I mean seriously, you wanna talk about high school football we dominant the state, West Monroe has more championships than anybody, then Bastrop is elite. Theres no great LSU football without northern Louisiana players!!!! Are u guys seriously comparing,saying northern Louisiana has no identity and we are more like Arkansas, Texas, or Mississippi? As far as I know, Arkansas is a sad state with retirement culture, and outside of Little Rock.....umm who cares. You kno how many people travel from southern Arkansas to go to our schools, shop here, tour here, and love it here in Northern Louisiana daily? Not to mention thousands from Texas that come to Shreveport every weekend.(Now if u really wanna go there, u can make a strong arguement that Shreveport is more like Texas, i mean they have basements everywhere, Louisiana dont have basements????)

I can go all day, but put the focus on Monroe. Monroe is a very interesting "city" that everyday would be an adventure. Monroe can be describe as a hidden treasure maze because, literally everthing great here is hidden and is a big suprise. Im still shocked daily when i ride around, I found a beach recently, atv parks, amusement parks, wild life parks, and still finding bayous. Even the college, ULM sits on a bayou giving it great scenery. I kinda like the fact that in Monroe, you have to look closely to find the treasures like, Enoch's irish pub, Mohawk Tavern, The Hooking Bull, The Louisiana Purchases Garden & Zoo(now thats really hidden). The Monroe Street Car that rides are for tourist, The 2 Motor speedways(nascar just made a deal with us!!!), The Garden District, Frenchmens Bend, The Boat Docks are hidden, the great eats on the river are hidden............. so many hidden treasure all here for you to venture out and find daily, Like the WWII Museum, Masur Museum of Art, Biedenharn Museum and Gardens, The Black Bayou Refuge is very interesting if u want to get a feel for Louisiana lifestyle. Oh yeah, be sure to try out Johnnys pizza, so unique. It orginated here in Monroe, as well as the Delta Airlines and one of the nations first Coca Cola Bottling companys. I'll stop here, and calm down. But dont worry palmtrees_are_kool, I'll give you the indepth feedback u need, intead of this speculation, non - residental, passer by, northern louisiana aka monroe - haters' talking..... now quote away!!!!!

Oh yeah.....Monroe and Natchitoches are the only northen Louisiana places that can give you the best of both world as far as northern and southern Louisiana!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,305,860 times
Then is Louisiana broken into three parts: Cajun, American South, and metro NO?

If so, what are the boundaries

Old 02-17-2009, 10:12 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,298,888 times
I would actually say to add the towns along the river and along Bayou Lafourche and Plaquemines as a 4th part really. It is a very distinct and unique atmosphere as well.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
What about Baton Rouge? It doesn't really fit into any of those does it?
Add metro BR and what Innotech said to that list

Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,014 times
Default north la like south la ...is not all the same

i live in natchitoches,la in nw la. older than new orleans it has a
beautiful downtown ...there are both anglo and creole culture which
will remind many of new orleans,,,,festivals,parades and music are part
of louisiana type festivities on a regular basis....home to northwest state
university ,oldest public university in la adds a college town atmosphere..
i have lived in new orleans and baton rouge and i would rate natchitoches
very high....we live on the cane river; a very scenic waterway 35 miles in
length which adds a lot to the city as it winds through town.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:10 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,298,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What about Baton Rouge? It doesn't really fit into any of those does it?
Add metro BR and what Innotech said to that list
I would say that Baton rouge feels the mostl ike other american cities of the places in Louisiana

Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,976 times
Default Looking for progressive upscale small town to move to "not snooty"

I am thinking of moving back to the mainland from Hawaii; things are tough out here right now; I don't want to be on the coast out there, not to big of a city;
any cool little towns with music and coffee bars?
Progressive thinking a must!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana