Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,271 times

Advertisements

Relocating from Chicago area to Alexandria and interested in knowing about apartment referrals (which are good which aren't) - as well as information on the racial situation in the city. Is it a pretty good mix of people or ..what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 17,421 times
Default Welcome!

Alexandria will be quite different from Chicago. You will have to get used to the oppressive summer heat, but if you are ready for mild winters you will be happy. I don't know if you have already moved, but I can give you some advice on housing if you are still interested. (I'm NOT a realtor ). I've lived in this area all my life and I've seen people who were in an absolute panic to get out of this "hellhole" magically reappear years later with a totally different opinion. Things are slow here, but for me it's the perfect size town. I lived in Baton Rouge for 5 years and you could not pay me enough money to ever go back there. Pineville is a smaller city across the Red River from Alexandria and is also a nice place--with less expensive housing. Anyway, just don't believe everything this Frank Sinatra character is saying...he needs to get a life elsewhere!

Old 07-29-2006, 04:58 PM

32 posts, read 281,020 times
Default WHat's wrong with Baton Rouge

Hi,

You mentioned BR, you would never go back. I may be relocating for a job from Chicago and would like to know your reason. I am a single mother and looking for nice neighborhoods with friendly people. I know it's hot but really is it unbearable? Today in Chi is high 90's with high humidity. It's muggy but I am ok. Is it worse than Chi's summers? How's the single scene for a Black woman in early 30's ? I know I am asking a lot, but I hope you can answer some questions for me, if not all. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 17,421 times
Default Don't be Disappointed!

Hi,
Sorry I took awhile to get back here...You have to understand I am a grumpy old woman (52) and Baton Rouge is just too big for me now...but that's just me. I don't like big cities, but coming from Chicago it probably won't seem so big to you. The traffic really is horrendous...mainly because the city doubled in size after Hurricane Katrina. My daughter just moved to Houston and lived in BR for 6 years while she went to LSU. She rented a tiny little house close to campus and everything around the campus is expensive AND noisy with students. I don't know if you are looking for an apt. or house, but there are some nice apts. around the mall of Louisiana...Essen Lane and Jefferson Hwy area. Yes the weather is pretty miserable in the summer, but it seems like it's getting harder to get away from that anywhere. I really think you will like the people in Baton Rouge though. If you have more questions, let me know and good luck!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 25,585 times
Baton Rouge has it's good and bad area's, like all big cities. If you want culture in a city/country setting, Lafayette area is great, .. the people there are very friendly, and out going.. Alex. well I have lived here just about all my life, and let's just say, the people are not that friendly, cost of housing, food, etc. is not any cheaper than B.R. or Lafayette.. the climate for La. is very hot for summer, especially when you factor in the heat index, and it does not last just for a couple of day's... I am talking hot and humid from middle May, and scorcing hot untile first of Sept..

apm

Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,352,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafla02 View Post
Alex. well I have lived here just about all my life, and let's just say, the people are not that friendly, cost of housing, food, etc. is not any cheaper than B.R. or Lafayette..
apm
I've spent almost all of my life in Alexandria and I've found people, for the most part, to be quite friendly here.

I have noticed that housing prices have significantly increased over the past few years in Alex. But housing in outlying areas is still inexpensive. The main thing complained about in Alexandria is the cost of city utilities.

I would consider Alexandria, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette all decent cities to live in.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 7,671 times
Default later but similiar situation

I just found this conversation thread. Similiar situation. I am moving ahead of my wife to begin a new job in Alex and need a place to rent for about 6 months. Ideally it would be a small house with a yard that (gulp) allows dogs. That way when my wife moves later we will not need to move once again. (if I get an apartment) However, an apartment that allows one dog would certainly be acceptable. Any help is sure appreciated!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:45 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankb View Post
I just found this conversation thread. Similiar situation. I am moving ahead of my wife to begin a new job in Alex and need a place to rent for about 6 months. Ideally it would be a small house with a yard that (gulp) allows dogs. That way when my wife moves later we will not need to move once again. (if I get an apartment) However, an apartment that allows one dog would certainly be acceptable. Any help is sure appreciated!
(1) You want to stay outside of MacArthur Drive
(2) The area between LA 28 and Masonic (US 165) outside of MacArthur seems to have the more stable neighborhoods.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,352,770 times
The part of Alexandria inside MacArthur Drive is the older section of the city. It is not all that bad & the areas near Jackson Street and off of Texas Avenue are very nice in many locations. But these neighborhoods are in many cases, either close to or adjacent some seedy neighborhoods. The most desirable neighborhoods in Alexandria are located south of LA 28 West and west of Masonic Drive on the outside of MacArthur Drive. Once you go east of Masonic Drive, there is an abundance of low rent housing and crime increases. The area immediately to the north of 28 West is becoming a more desirable area, but I would avoid the area around Highway 1 North, which contains some public housing developments and low rent housing.

You might be able to find a good house in a nice neighborhood in Alexandria, but you might also want to consider Pineville across the river, which is safer and slightly cheaper.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 21,300 times
If you are moving to the Alexandria area I would recommend you consider living just a few miles south in a small town called Woodsworth. You should be able to google up a realtor in the Alexandria area that will help and maybe try the fsbo route or check the local classifieds. The Alexandria newspaper is called The Town Talk and I believe they do list their classifieds online. Good luck and be ready to SWEAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana