Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 AM

768 posts, read 4,385,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Born in Baton rouge, grew up in Greenwell Springs, and moved to Lafayette when I was 5. Been here ever since. Also I lived in Jamaica for 6 months.
I visited Jamaica for a week 6 years ago ... honestly, I believe I would love to live there. And I don't mean on a resort either. How did you swing that? And did you like it? Are you black or white? That only matters because I'm curious how well you were accepted, I would assume as a white guy it would be harder for me to fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:32 AM

68 posts, read 228,821 times
Military brat moved from Arizonia to BC in the 70's. Grew up in SoBo, the Grove, all through high school. Joined AF, lived in Tex, Cali,and Ohio. Got out and moved back to SoBo, then moved to Hotlanta. Lastly moved to frigid Nebraska, where I have now lived the longest, 10yrs now, that is not SoBo. There, I used the new term, are we starting new slang now?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmiinNE View Post
Military brat moved from Arizonia to BC in the 70's. Grew up in SoBo, the Grove, all through high school. Joined AF, lived in Tex, Cali,and Ohio. Got out and moved back to SoBo, then moved to Hotlanta. Lastly moved to frigid Nebraska, where I have now lived the longest, 10yrs now, that is not SoBo. There, I used the new term, are we starting new slang now?
Holy crap, you used SoBo! It works.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Now, start using it in your everyday conversations, such as "I live over in SoBo, you know ... 71112. SoBo."

Seriously, I know it's lame as all hell to copy those trendy places like SoHo, but I could see SoBo catching on.
It's already caught on in a lot of places. As you know, SoHo means "South of Houston (street)." So Austin has SoCo (South Congress Ave) and SoLa (South Lamar Blvd). Here in Chicago, a condo building just opened on the south side of North Ave called SoNo.

I kind of like SoBo. But I don't think you could make it work for Shreveport. SoSo, SoSh, SoPo--None of those sound very appealing...

Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 AM

947 posts, read 2,398,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Holy crap, you used SoBo! It works.
LOL yall are so funny!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
It's already caught on in a lot of places. As you know, SoHo means "South of Houston (street)." So Austin has SoCo (South Congress Ave) and SoLa (South Lamar Blvd). Here in Chicago, a condo building just opened on the south side of North Ave called SoNo.

I kind of like SoBo. But I don't think you could make it work for Shreveport. SoSo, SoSh, SoPo--None of those sound very appealing...
lol @ SoPo. I was raised SoPo.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Default Where is everyone from?

New Haven County in Connecticut. 40 degrees today and sunny. I am watching my neighbor collect sap from maple trees. He has a little "sugar shack" at his farm down the hill from us. Smells amazing when he is cooking down the sap for maple syrup.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
New Haven County in Connecticut. 40 degrees today and sunny. I am watching my neighbor collect sap from maple trees. He has a little "sugar shack" at his farm down the hill from us. Smells amazing when he is cooking down the sap for maple syrup.
Wow, that sounds like paradise! I am a city boy, but that sounds really cool.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I was raised where maple syrup is more expensive than caviar... I had to stick with Aunt Jemima, except for special occaisions...

Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 PM

10 posts, read 36,551 times
Originally from NOLA. Living in Wichita, Ks now but moving back to Louisiana in early June. Looking for homes around Shreveport. It's cloudy, 32 degrees, and wind blowing out of the NW at 13mph in Wichita. Looking forward to that Southern Temp change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana