Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:02 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times

Advertisements

Lafayette is definitely becoming better by the day.
Plenty of progress but not forgetting Cajun traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 AM

4 posts, read 13,610 times
Zachary for good for schools ( its pretty much right out of Baton Rouge - BR is business & LSU)

total package would be lafayette area:
schooling
culture
activities
advancements (modern & progressive in most areas)
great hospitals
little big city but down home friendly
ULL college
diverse
traffic is tolerable
feels safe in 85% of areas
MALL
historical areas
plenty of stores & restaurants
great physical location of city relative to STATE & other fun/ visiting cities (New Orleans & Baton Rouge)
this area always comes out pretty safe for hurricanes even though it seems close to gulf

Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 AM

10 posts, read 42,025 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. I'm ready for a warm change. The temperature here in Milwaukee didn't get over 10 degrees yesterday and probably won't be much better today.
I'm tired of this frozen rat race.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
It is definitely becoming more vibrant and exciting by the day to live here.
I just wish they'd work out the road problem. the state has never had an abundance of cash to spend though and what there is in squandered by corruption. Its unfortunate, but I guess thats the tradeoff for Cajuns running the place.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:15 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I just wish they'd work out the road problem. the state has never had an abundance of cash to spend though and what there is in squandered by corruption. Its unfortunate, but I guess thats the tradeoff for Cajuns running the place.
What Cajuns would that be ?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I do agree that it is being wasted. Our tax dollars do not show much in the city of Lafayette; however, that much can not be blamed fully on our city-parish council.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
On what basis should a town/city be judged the best?

Low Crime Statistics?

Available ATTRACTIVE single women?

Lots of cultural entertainment?

Good restaurants?

Low unemployment rate?

Average rainfall/temperature?

Number of gay bars?

Number of churches?
Yes.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
I'm a Lake Charles , but I'd really say if I were to live elsewhere I'd choose Lafayette or Metarie.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I'm a Lake Charles , but I'd really say if I were to live elsewhere I'd choose Lafayette or Metarie.
Looks like both Lafayette and Lake Charles made a recent top-ten list.

Ten Notable Collective Economic Development Efforts in the South

Lafayette:

Quote:
Lafayette, La. is a community known for its forward-thinking business and community leaders. Lafayette’s entrepreneurial spirit is what makes the region unique and a perfect test bed for innovative collaborations. The most recent collaboration is the Opportunity Machine (OM). The OM is a business accelerator and incubator focused on developing technology-intensive companies in the region. The OM is creating a technology ecosystem in Lafayette, centered on its members, which spreads throughout the community via education sessions, mentoring and coaching opportunities and community events.

The OM was created by the Lafayette Economic Development Authority, the Louisiana Immersive Technologies Enterprise, the University of Louisiana and the Greater Lafayette Chamber of Commerce as a single vehicle to bring together all of Lafayette’s technological resources and infrastructure for new business development. By working together these entities have launched the OM and other world-class initiatives that impact all areas of Lafayette -- from the education and arts communities to industry to government -- including the Louisiana Immersive Technologies Enterprise (a collaboration between LEDA, UL Lafayette and the State of Louisiana) and Lafayette’s municipally-owned fiber optic network.
Lake Charles:

Quote:
Five parishes or counties, on the Texas side of south Louisiana are seeing benefits from working regionally. Formed in late 2006, the Southwest Louisiana Economic Development Alliance, based in Lake Charles, La., has brought together the public and private sector from Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, and Jeff Davis Parishes to work together for economic growth and stability. The region of almost 300,000 has out-performed the nation during the recession and earned the most projects and expansions for smaller communities in the nation in 2010.

Hard hit by Hurricane Rita in 2005, then Ike and Gustav in 2007, the region has responded with strong determination. A construction boom followed these disasters and the economy diversified. Aviation, ports, tourism and gaming, healthcare and other categories experienced growth in recent years in Southwest Louisiana. The large petrochemical complex is the backbone of the region with over 23 facilities and 6,500 employees.

One of the results of collaboration is the Southwest Louisiana Entrepreneurial Economic Development Center, or SEED Center, that is being constructed on the campus of McNeese State University. The facility will house a business incubator and the economic development agencies in a one-stop location.

The Alliance works closely with Chennault International Airpark, six area ports including the Port of Lake Charles and other industrial assets to market this robust area to the world.
Southern Business & Development > Features > Winter 2011 > Ten Notable Collective

Cool.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Lafayette is probably the most progressive city in Louisiana and it has a good Cajun culture. It also has a high quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana