Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 AM

117 posts, read 365,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifen4sharpei View Post
Any state that was considered a slave state during the civil war. Missouri would then be suspect as would Kentucky. My wife uses the Mason Dixon line which would then include Maryland and DC (she's from Maryland, we disagree on the mason dixon line). Which would mean that the capital of the North was in the South so we win on a technicality, but unfortunately, we beat ourselves, which is often the case.
Sir or Ma'am, I can tell you that my mama and daddy were both born in Kentucky and abosolutely consider themselves southerners as do every native Kentuckian I've ever known. The only ones who would try to slant it the other way are transplants from the North that don't want to admit they live in the South and try to call Kentucky a mid-western state. In the land of Mint Julips and Colonel Sanders, I don't think they consider themselves Yankee's by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 AM

117 posts, read 365,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismc888 View Post
do y'all not think oklahoma is southern? most of us consider ourselves and our state to be southern, it'd be nice to get some opinions from some people who dont live in oklahoma...
Yes, most southerners consider Oklahoma southern and the start of the west as well just like Texas. Obviously it was a territory during the Civil War, but with strong southern sympathies with regard to states rights. BTW, I now live in California but I was born and raised in the south.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:22 AM

134 posts, read 412,076 times
You might be a southerner if: You love front porches, oak trees, fried chicken, sweet tea, neighbors, friends and family and good times. You raise your kids in church and believe in honesty and integrity
------aren't many of these (with the possible exception of sweet tea) American values,not just Southern? I have grown up on both sides of the Mason-Dixon and find this to be true in many "yankee" states as well.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:39 AM

10,805 posts, read 14,868,691 times
The south is anywhere warm enough the bugs live 365 days a year.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,446,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismc888 View Post
What makes the rest of the state Midwestern in your opinion? Just wondering how you came to your conclusion, not agreeing or disagreeing.
From what I've seen and read about the state, parts of it (like the SE corner) were settled by people from Arkansas and Mississippi (if you'll notice, some of the county names in that corner are Mississippi names), and the terrain is similar to Arkansas. In the middle and western part of the state, the terrain is similar to that of Kansas, and so it was settled by those from the Midwest.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:52 AM

24 posts, read 51,638 times
I am the one who posted the thing about loving sweet tea, front porches, etc... It is on a plaque I bought one time and that now hangs in my kitchen. If I remember correctly they had a Northern one too from where I bought this one. That one probably said some of the same things but I remember it saying something about loving skyscrapers, maple syrup.... a few different things more suited to the regions.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,339,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
that you might be a southerner if sounded kind of arrogant. I was raised in the midwest and I can assure you that I was taught honesty and integrity and raised in church..... there are good god fearing people even in the north....
Amen to that. These type of threads are my pet peeve, by the way. Topics that cause separation of a supposedly united country seem to do that to me. No one area has a patent on manners or kindness or Christianity or work ethic or honesty. It's insulting to constantly read comments excluding all others except a select group or region.

First, I don't consider OK to be Southern~especially northern OK. (Since you asked for out of staters input on it)

The South has always been referred to as the "Bible belt", but if you check stats, it just doesn't hold water. You can check the stats on many Midwestern cities that show over an 80% church affiliation/attendance. Along with that, you can check many Southern cities that are below 50%. It's just another myth that's been around for many years and is constantly perpetuated.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM

539 posts, read 215,216 times
Anywhere below Staten Island.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:49 PM

13 posts, read 46,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
From what I've seen and read about the state, parts of it (like the SE corner) were settled by people from Arkansas and Mississippi (if you'll notice, some of the county names in that corner are Mississippi names), and the terrain is similar to Arkansas. In the middle and western part of the state, the terrain is similar to that of Kansas, and so it was settled by those from the Midwest.
I understand. The Northwest part of OK is plains, along with the panhandle of OK and TX. Im from Tulsa,which we call "green country" (Ozark mountains that are in NE OK, NW Arkansas, Southern Missouri). Cotton farmers thrive in SW OK (Altus). Anyway, I go to OSU and the people that come down from Kansas say theres a difference between the states. I feel we have much more in common with TX and Arkansas before Kansas, but im also from East OK, which is different than NW OK. I dont feel like Oklahoma has much in common with Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, or other midwestern states, but thats just my opinion.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:12 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,380,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Well, that's kind of hard to say. For starters, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia are definitely south. From my experience with Arkansas, it has a lot more in common with Oklahoma than the southern states, so I wouldn't include it. Parts of Tennessee would be included, though the metro areas of Memphis and Nashville are excluded. Parts of South Carolina, maybe, but definitely not North Carolina or Virginia.
Are you kidding me? If you ever been to Memphis or Nashville you would never say that this cities are not southern. Memphis is 1000 %southern.
Do you think that southern equals small rural towns only?In that case why don't you exclude Atlanta too? Or any city over 100,000 people?
You can't get much more southern then Memphis, TN. Culturally, historical... you name it. Cotton capital of the world!!!

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 05-30-2009 at 03:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana