U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,126 times

Advertisements

Like all areas of the U.S. there are good and bad areas. D-ville has its crime ridden areas, like Gonzales, Darrow, Sorrento, Prairieville, and Saint Amant, but they have their good areas too. Lemannville Cutoff Road houses the APSO Jail, so that might need some looking into. But, I say move there and find a great job in the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:45 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,886,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Good luck TNRyan! If you get a job at any of the PD's, I can pull out my city-data card to get out of a ticket?
You got it man Also setting things up with Jefferson and Orleans Parish's. I tell ya, I'm having a helluva time with Vision Cable down here, First they demanded a $200 deposit, then said it would take up to two weeks for the install, THEN said we could get it (and i quote) " a little faster " if we paid an additional $100 to expedite service.

They gave us the option to pay that day or to just pay the tech when he/she came out. We opted to pay when they came out and it's a good thing we did, 3 weeks passed by and they finally called to set up service to which my wife replied for them to "blank" themselves.

We've been going to the library to use the internet, after being screwed over by the Galliano McDonalds to the tune of $2.95 for two hours of internet. (wifi is free at McDonalds locations in Nashville)

Anyways, Life is good. The nice hot weather has melted our cell phones car charger as well as an ipod cord and a few CD's.

Man, have I missed those hot, muggy, swap days.

Oh, and what's the deal with the Louisiana DMV wanting me to provide a copy of my title to my car to get tags ? I'm supposed to call Ford Credit and demand a copy of my title ? Never had to do that in Florida or Tennessee.

Was also told by our new insurance rep at Farm Bureau that we needed to drive on our Tennessee policy until it expires in November because it's cheaper. The Louisiana DMV lady I talked to said that their system MIGHT accept it.

Anyone have any experience with this ?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:21 PM

1,756 posts, read 3,110,414 times
TNRyan,

Try the DMV office up Route 1 in Plaquemine. You'll save time and lots of red tape there.

Unless things have changed, they shouldn't be requiring your title; a valid registration showing that there's a lien on your vehicle should do.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 PM

887 posts, read 2,738,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Vision Cable down here,
We've been going to the library to use the internet, after being screwed over by the Galliano McDonalds to the tune of $2.95 for two hours of internet.
Anyways, Life is good. The nice hot weather has melted our cell phones car charger as well as an ipod cord and a few CD's.

\
Wow, Vision Cable sucks. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Comcast. I guess they don't offer that way down there?

Internet is free here at Wendy, McD's, I think Starbucks. I'm surprised the workers at McDonald's managed to figure out how to charge you, if you know what I mean.

Consider one of those things that go over your windows. I use it all the time in conjuction with my window tint and its not that hot.

Glad to see you're still so positive after some of these setbacks!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 PM

794 posts, read 3,096,965 times
Quote:
Wow, Vision Cable sucks. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Comcast. I guess they don't offer that way down there?

Internet is free here at Wendy, McD's, I think Starbucks. I'm surprised the workers at McDonald's managed to figure out how to charge you, if you know what I mean.
No, I don't believe much if any of south LA gets Comcast.
What about Direct TV? At least it's a national chain unlike those local places down the bayou.
And the McD's WiFi thing, it's Galliano. I'm actually not surprised. I'm more surprised that they even offer WiFi never mind charge for it. It's south Lafourche. But if it were Grand Isle (assuming they had a McD's with WiFi) they'd scream and threaten you because they would think you were stealing it from them. Grand Isle residents can be strange.

Not sure where would be a good DMV down in the Houma-Larose-Thibodaux triangle area, but if you were coming all the way up to Plaquemine, I'd assume go to Port Allen. Both have small lines, but Port Allen has much better service.
Honestly, you'd probably come out cheaper just keeping the car and insurance in TN until one or the other expires. Then make the change.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
No, I don't believe much if any of south LA gets Comcast.
And the McD's WiFi thing, it's Galliano.
Yeah, I guess the Galliano location would be pretty special due to its location.

I can't remember what cable I had at LSU.. Its not a common question to ask what cable company someone gets as well.

I think Cox is common, at least in the NOLA area, right?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 AM

794 posts, read 3,096,965 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess the Galliano location would be pretty special due to its location.

I can't remember what cable I had at LSU.. Its not a common question to ask what cable company someone gets as well.

I think Cox is common, at least in the NOLA area, right?
COX is pretty common place in south LA now. Baton Rouge and Lafayette especially. Now Ascension Parish still has EATEL. The Northshore has Charter, I think.
I know before COX it was TCI of Louisiana around Plaquemine, I think BTR also. Not sure after that.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
COX is pretty common place in south LA now. Baton Rouge and Lafayette especially. Now Ascension Parish still has EATEL. The Northshore has Charter, I think.
I know before COX it was TCI of Louisiana around Plaquemine, I think BTR also. Not sure after that.
Interesting!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,669 times
Hi. Just wanted to give my input on the whole Donaldsonville discussion. I was raised in Lemanville/Donaldsonville, so I am very familiar with the area you are talking about. After my father passed I had an opportunity to own the house but I declined. It's been 9 years since I moved away and each time I go back, particularily the Lemanville area, it seems worse. You have to have a certain mindset to live there. I'm not knocking the people who stay there, afterall, they're family. You just have to have a certain mindset to stay there and I'll leave it at that. I think you made the better decision. Welcome to Louisiana!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,886,613 times
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread in awhile...

I've been bouncing back and forth between LA and TN, mostly due to work. I've found that LA has tons of jobs just not very many that pay really good money.

I'm trying to find work in Fourchon but working through the processes of getting a TWIC card and Z card. I have to say that I love Louisiana but man, It's a pain in the butt. I was told by the DMV (Golden Meadow) that since I was from out of state, that I needed a static photo copy of my title with my name and my leinholders info on it. I call Ford (Ford is my leinholder) and am told that Ford doesn't possess titles that I have to go through my local DMV (Nashville, TN) I get to Nashville and request a copy of my title and get told that Tennessee is one of the states that also doesn't hold titles when a leinholder is involved and told I needed to call Ford.

In Tennessee, You have to pass a vehichle inspection to get your tags. I'm told in LA you have to buy your tags before you can even have your inspection done. Eh, irritating.

Anyways, Yes, In South Lafourche all we have is Vision Cable and yes, they suck. Still without internet or television down there. Until I got to Nashville I didn't even know there were storms out there and ended up driving through the remnants of Claudette on my way back through Mississippi.

McDonalds wifi is worthless, I've tried in Orleans, Jefferson, Terrebonne and Lafourche and every McDonalds I stop at wants $2.95 which is getting really increasingly irritating. I would get DirecTv or Dish Network but told that my credit score isn't good enough. Whatever.

I don't really care about the small town and gossip that goes on down around the G.M., Galliano, Cutoff areas but hell, that comes with the area I guess. Other then my own personal struggles I really don't have anything negative to say about the State.

I do have to question car insurance rates though, My new agent at Farm Bureau in Mathews pulled a quote and my wife and I will end up paying close to $300 a month when in Nashville we're paying $113 a month and we're talking South Lafourche here, not Orleans Parish or the West or East Banks in Jefferson. I don't get it.

LA-GAPeach, I like the name, My wifes aunt lives or lived in both Raceland, LA and Atlanta, GA and commuted like crazy.

I don't like Donaldsonville and honestly, I haven't even been in the city itself but the area around the sunshine bridge is just a dump and I dont want to live in a neighborhood where they allow peoples tore up houses just sit there like a bomb went off. It's sad too because for every house with a resident, there are two that are abandoned.

I regret that I never got to checkout Gonzalez or B.R. though. maybe sometime soon. It pissed me off that Whataburger is no longer in Houma. I now have to drive to B.R. or Lafayette to get a Whataburger. Oh well.

Thanks for the replies !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana