Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 PM

420 posts, read 478,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
This is some thread. Dump or no dump, I'm very eager to come next week and explore the area. I haven't been to Lafayette in nearly 20 years.

Scott
i definitely concur, if you can get nine pages outta a certain subject its worth phsically researching or checking out. I have to make a visit as soon as possible, and trust Im not going to pass by and judge it off a few "dumpy areas". Thats impossible now, you guys have all pulled your hair out convincing us that it cant be a dump. I know what to look for now and explore, you guys say it is there so its there. Now let an open minded person like me go check it out.

Redundant, Redundant, Redundant!!!!! No more post on this, go to the city of Lafayette and find out......geez!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:04 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post

Redundant, Redundant, Redundant!!!!! No more post on this, go to the city of Lafayette and find out......geez!!!!!
When did you become a moderator?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM

33 posts, read 161,718 times
Well when you call someones city a dumb this will happend everytime.If someone is going to post a msg like this, they should come with more educated facts but you dont put people cities down like that. And to me Lafayette is to easy to defend thats why this thread is so long. Thats what this whole website is about anyway. It should be about people helping people, but like everything else in this world, people use this great tool to down other people.... And I like Innotech post the best, and he is right we dont forget where we come from in our area no matter what race, or finacial situation we never forget, and we accept everybody here thats why people feel at home when they move here alot of people just dont understand but thats OK

Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 AM

157 posts, read 560,256 times
Its me the Princess who prefers planned neighborhoods than a drive into a 3 development subdivision . Ok I am spoiled and appreciate knowing my values are stable in the gated communities and not backing up to a double wide or believe it or not what I saw was a "slaughter house" in the Northern Part of the area.

Is there a Costco anywhere in the area. Sams Club is so "Walmartish" with inferior looking merchandise.

Also is there a Whole Foods or some health type grocery where one can buy organic produce and free range chickens.

Also finally I did not see a Nordstroms or Saks anywhere Where is the closest to the city?

And is there any culture other than bars with Cajun music blaring? Sorry I feel like I am being moved to a foreign country that is unlike anywhere I have ever lived. No offense to any natives but you guys are a bit different in thinking than I am accustomer to.

Finally do you really crush and suck those creyfish heads. Yuk.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:48 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
I am sure that I miss the good part of Lafayette. I was really considering retiring there but first impression are some time overrated. I guess the city is rich enough to have a Costco or Whole Foods since it has over a half million people in the area. I notice that a lot of Asian were there so they must see the potential there. It is a shame that LA. get short change with all the natural resources it contributes to America.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:53 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
Its me the Princess who prefers planned neighborhoods than a drive into a 3 development subdivision . Ok I am spoiled and appreciate knowing my values are stable in the gated communities and not backing up to a double wide or believe it or not what I saw was a "slaughter house" in the Northern Part of the area.

Is there a Costco anywhere in the area. Sams Club is so "Walmartish" with inferior looking merchandise.

Also is there a Whole Foods or some health type grocery where one can buy organic produce and free range chickens.

Also finally I did not see a Nordstroms or Saks anywhere Where is the closest to the city?

And is there any culture other than bars with Cajun music blaring? Sorry I feel like I am being moved to a foreign country that is unlike anywhere I have ever lived. No offense to any natives but you guys are a bit different in thinking than I am accustomer to.

the butchers place if it is the one Im thinking of has great quality meat, though they got kind of expensive. Theres nothing wrong with a butchers shop, in town or otherwise. Where do you think packaged steaks or ground meat comes from? The northside of town is actually less dangerous than the southside, because most people live on the southside and thats where robberies or thefts take place, like any other city. Still, despite living in 3 separate parts of the city, in 24 years I have always felt safe and secure wherever I lived. Lafayette is "different" but its not that dangerous.

Costco? Not in Louisiana. Nordstrom's? There isnt a nordstrom in Louisiana either. Find alternatives. there is a great place called Fresh Market in River Ranch and several other fresh produce places around town, even a great little place on the northside south of the winn dixie store. There are enough department stores and alternative clothing stores that you should probably find what you are looking for.

As for the double wides and trailers...Im sorry if you feel threatened by those, because I have several friends who live in them, and around here, that doesnt always mean low income. Some of my friends parents are in fact quite well off and live comfortably with all the high tech goodies in those trailers. So do not always throw judgements around in Lafayette. When I told you this city is unique and that Louisiana has its own identity and way of doing things I wasnt joking. It really feels different down here, but its just as civilized as any other place I promise you. Just spend some time doing research about all the retail this place DOES have and dont worry so much about not finding the EXACT store you are looking for. Youre in a different place where different store franchises have branches. There is a brookstone in the mall to find neat gadgets and gifts. there are plenty of great bookstores and focused craft stores. all sorts of things. There is even a place called World Market Im sure you are familiar with that offers food and other products from all over the world.

Lastly, yes, we do suck the crawfish heads, but we wouldnt do that if it didnt taste good. That is where the flavor tends to settle besides the tail.

Yes, Lafayette feels different, because its not stamped directly from the mass produced suburbia you are used to, and we like it that way. the way Lafayette is growing, you may actually see more stores you are used to seeing as the city expands. River ranch already has several franchise boutique stores and restaurants that arent usually found in Louisiana.

Look, Ill put it this way. Here, we dont separate demographics so much. We dont just move away from lower income areas and form little secure bubbles. Lower class have lives and ambitions too. Some folks are just down on their luck, and not even remotely dangerous or ghetto. Personally, Id live in a trailer if it werent for hurricanes and the occasional tornado around here. They make great financial sense and more importantly, you arent backed into an upside down mortgage when the economy goes sour. Speaking of which, this is one of the lowest unemployment places in the nation. People here, rich or poor, tend to find some kind of work.

Last edited by Innotech; 07-16-2009 at 06:01 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 AM

49 posts, read 205,133 times
Default My General assumption to most previous post

I feel exactly the same as your previous post.

Innotech

I'm in my early 30's we have to know each other my parents live in the area where Louisiana Ave will connect to Gloria Switch Rd. Wilderness Trail to be exact. Before that I grew up most of my younger life in the Veazay area from when I was born to 1995. My parents built a home out on Wilderness Trail in 1995. I attended St. Leo Seton from k-3 grade, J. W. Faulk from 4-5 grades, Acadian Middle from 6-8 grade, & Carencro High School 9-12.

The Gated Community Goreegal is probably talking about near the Slaughter house. My Grandfather used to farm and have cattle on that land, Him and his Cousin used to joke about putting a Golf course there, they are both probably rolling in there graves at this point, knowing that is whats there now. My family sold that land (cheap) right after he passed away, because no one wanted to follow in his footstep and enter the farming & cattle buisness. The land exteded from Moss street extension to Beau Basin Road. I pass there frequently when visiting my dad. I'm glad they save and restored the old barn that now sits next to a big McMansion on Moss ext. I've had good times on that land 4 wheeling and Horse riding when I was younger & other mischievious things teenagers do that I wont say.

So imaterry78259 just like everyone is saying, we don't demolish our older areas of town because those places have history and mean something, If your not from here you probably will never understand. Just like the rest of America will never understand New Orleans and Its historical signficance to what the rest of America as become today. Today I can still drive by the house that my Greatgrand father built with his own two hands, and the House that my Grand father built next door to it that my aunt still lives in to this day and it is kinda in a gettoish part of town they are one of the few whites still living in the neighborhood and feel safe. When I lived there we had no problems, when my parent built that house in 1995 out on Wilderness Trail, someone broke in not once but twice, we were safer living at our old house. Sorry if you don't understand.

And Goreegal Sorry if you cant seem to get out of this suburbia mentallity, we all try to live peacefully no matter if your a local or not, Rich or poor, Live in a house or trailer, white, black asian, purple, green or gold. I don't live in Lafayette any more, but live not far away tucked away in my wonderful historic mixed income, & mixed racial neighborhood and no two houses look alike like Cookie Clutter typical Suburban America. I'm in Lafayette just about every weekday for work, and its nice to leave work at work when I cross that Parish line every day stress free, the drive is not that bad depending on where you going in Lafayette I only have to go as far as the area around the Airport 25 min and I'm at work. Oh and the nearest Sak's is in Canal Place Mall at the foot of Canal street in New Orleans, There is also a Brooks Brothers there and other national chains, no Nordstoms though, If you can't live without those types of establishments take a visit to New Orleans for a weekend getaway.

Welcome To Acadiana Goreegal, and imaterry78259 if you decide to come back to Lafayette please explore more of the City and Surrounding areas and learn our history, before you come to the assumption and post that Lafayette is a Dump.

John
Opelousas, La

Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 AM

49 posts, read 205,133 times
Goreegal your answer to your question, I'm going to be funny with this one.

"Also is there a Whole Foods or some health type grocery where one can buy organic produce and free range chickens."

If you take a drive to certain neighborhoods you can probably catch your own chickens (hence free range chickens). In some of the poorer areas there are chickens running around. Just joking about catching your own you might get shot (just joking), but there really are chickens running around some neighborhoods

You can also invest in you own chicken coop, (but living in River Ranch you probably can't) HOA wont allow them. I don't know if you ever heard of Urban chickens. Google Urban Chickens there's alot of information on the web about them, Folks from New York to Seatle have started them. Some city's even changed there ordinaces to allow folks to raise them in their backyard with guidlines. You get fresh eggs & If you don't get attached to them you can have them for dinner, If you can hack plucking the feathers.

My grandfather had a farm we never bought chicken in a store, or Beef for that matter when I was growing up. We took the cow to that same slaughter house you are probably refering to in a previous post.

But in your case your probably better off going to the Fresh Market right in River Ranch Neighborhood I'm sure they have them there. Just because the packaging says Free range don't asume thats where it came from it's just a lable that some American Coorperation slaped on it to make you believe that its free range, Your best bet is to find a local farm and purchase from them and can visit the farm and see for yourself how they are being raised and probably cheaper and better for you than what you can get at any grocery store, as most store bought chickens are pumped with growth hormones and antibiotics, what the chicken consumes you consume also.

For the Organic produce visit the outlying area farmers market, there is one in Opelousas every Wednessday from 6-11 am and Saturday mornings from 6-11am, In the spring and Fall you can visit the Market for Music & Market every Friday from 5-8 pm (is usually cajun or zydeco music, so if you don't like the music you can just buy your produce and leave). You can also visit some of the local Grocery stores and produce markets, I do know a few that buy Fruits and Vegies from locals.

I grow my own vegtables and fruit, currently have tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, bell pepper, garlic, lettuce, parsley. I also have 2 Satsumas trees(citrus fruit like a tangerine) 1 Navel Orange tree, 1 Cumquat tree(?spelling), 2 lemon trees, 3 fig trees, had blue berry bushes but they died. I just canned figs this past weekend, Citrus fruits are usally ready come the end of October thru December. I grow all this with no pesticides, on my 96' x 200' lot with a 2100 sq ft house, plus a 2 story 1200 sq ft rental or mother In-law house, in a real neighborhood, with folks from all walks of life not enclosed by gates or brick walls. People call me old fashion but at least I know I can be self sufficient if need to be, also saves me alot on my grocery bill.

Happy shopping for your Organic products.
John
Opelousas

Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 PM

33 posts, read 161,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post

They have alot of organic foods you can find here. They all the traditonal stores, albertson, winn dixie, piggly wiggly lol, but serious the best place to find that type of food you are looking for is the local grocery stores that are just as big. Rouses, Adriens, and a some other ones that spread out all over the area that I cant remember right off of my head. Im so glad Rouses moved the the area(youngville) thats the nicest grocery Ive seen and everything is Louisiana made. But they have 4 isles of organic food.. Google there name they have everything on there website...

As Far as night life besides New Orleans Lafayette is probly the best in Louisiana. And im going by what people out town say about our night life.. Im used to it so its no big deal, but there are bars and clubs and daquari spots everywhere. There are 3 strips with just clubs and bars for every type of person. Urban crowd, pop,rock, people who just like to drink and mingle, pool halls, alot of college student spots, old school for the men who go sneak to the club while there wifes playing cards, upper class, they even have gay clubs downtown(lord help us all) So you dont have to worry about the zydeco crowd, they have there own spots and clubs all over. Just dont be surprised if you hear a song or two wherever you go. If you dont know how to react, its cool trust me You wont be the only one in the crowd just laugh on how a few people in the joint just stop where there doing and go crazy lol. I dont know how old you are but trust people around here go out from monday thru sunday.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
also, regarding culture, if you look around you will find Cajun culture in our music, food, speech, on the radio, on TV, French place names, art, festivals, historic sitesl ike Acadian Village and Vermillionville, and even the typically French confusing way we designed Lafayette. The culture is much more than a couple restaurants or bars playing music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana