U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 AM
 
3,005 posts, read 5,724,437 times
Reputation: 1183

Advertisements

I am so disappointed during my visit to Lafayette. The city is a big dump. I thought the city was so cool and progressive. The city I saw was full of run down businesss and homes and industrial area. Downtown?????. I am truly disappointed
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2009, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
887 posts, read 1,960,249 times
Reputation: 518
Where did you go??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2009, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 3,623,410 times
Reputation: 631
Sounds like they went as far as downtown and turned around and got back on the interstate.

But downtown? A dump? How can anyone in their right mind walk down Jefferson Street and call it a dump? There is so much more to Lafayette once you go past downtown.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
417 posts, read 1,102,222 times
Reputation: 196
Wow....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 06:31 AM
 
3,005 posts, read 5,724,437 times
Reputation: 1183
we came in through I H 10 and took the second exit and on our way back we came in from Morgan city and New Iberia taking the old road. Same results
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 3,623,410 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
we came in through I H 10 and took the second exit and on our way back we came in from Morgan city and New Iberia taking the old road. Same results
The old road? You mean Highway 90 (Evangeline Thruway)? If so I can tell you that Evangeline goes through the seedier part of town. The worse areas of town are generally North and East of Downtown. But Lafayette goes on forever down Johnston Street and Kaliste Saloom.

Even if you did come through on Evangeline, it is not nearly trashy enough to call the whole city a dump after just one pass-through. imo
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 3,719,788 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
The old road? You mean Highway 90 (Evangeline Thruway)? If so I can tell you that Evangeline goes through the seedier part of town. The worse areas of town are generally North and East of Downtown. But Lafayette goes on forever down Johnston Street and Kaliste Saloom.

Even if you did come through on Evangeline, it is not nearly trashy enough to call the whole city a dump after just one pass-through. imo
In fact, Evangeline is the center of all the less than desirable neighboehoods. But once you get past, say, Kaliste Saloom, that changes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Louisiana
1,723 posts, read 2,012,328 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I am so disappointed during my visit to Lafayette. The city is a big dump. I thought the city was so cool and progressive. The city I saw was full of run down businesss and homes and industrial area. Downtown?????. I am truly disappointed
You ain't seen a dump until you've seen Arkadelphia, Arkansas. Run-down homes and businesses are de rigeur for Louisiana.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 3,623,410 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
In fact, Evangeline is the center of all the less than desirable neighboehoods. But once you get past, say, Kaliste Saloom, that changes.
Even so, I find most of Lafayette's ghetto to look nicer than the ghetto in many places, don't you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 3,719,788 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Even so, I find most of Lafayette's ghetto to look nicer than the ghetto in many places, don't you?
Absolutely. It's merely shabbier houses.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top